How many people does it take to clip a bulldogs nails???

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Roughly three in my house. Two to hold her and then I get to clip. I actually purchased a dremel and it brought the number down to two. So what I do now to save the craziness is I take her tennis ball and stand at one end of my property, on the cement side, and throw the ball to the dirt side. The running back and forth during fetch helps grind down her nails. I wouldn't have to go through this is my little scardy cat would actually take walks out and about the neighborhood because they would grind down that way. Oh well what can I do. She gets some exercise and her nails get done at the same time...win win for us both.

Good luck, I know it's frustrating and such a struggle when they hate getting their nails done.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I take Vegas to have his dremeled $11. I tell the girls it will take two, one to hold and one to grind. I always tip both girls.

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Takes two here.. One to hold and me to clip. Unfortunately we've gotten into a bad tail pocket situation. It was infected once so now he is super jumpy about just regular wiping. It sucks. :-( What muzzle did you use? If I could find a muzzle that would fit his face, I would be less worried. Not like he'd actually intentionally bite, but he gets ver nervous and I worry that he will reflexively snap.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Takes two here.. One to hold and me to clip. Unfortunately we've gotten into a bad tail pocket situation. It was infected once so now he is super jumpy about just regular wiping. It sucks. :-( What muzzle did you use? If I could find a muzzle that would fit his face, I would be less worried. Not like he'd actually intentionally bite, but he gets ver nervous and I worry that he will reflexively snap.
Petco uses a lightweight mesh muzzle. When I was researching the safety of muzzles on bulldogs, I read that an owner should not muzzle their own pets. It could become a trust/aggression issue. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying you shouldn't try it if you want to I am just giving you a heads up of what I researched. I decided that it is such a production to clip his nails that I did not want him to be that upset with me and to let the professionals handle it. I agree about them not intentionally biting because Brutus is very docile otherwise. I can put my fingers in his mouth to retrieve "goodies" he is not supposed to have and touch his food etc....but he would definitely and has tried to bite my hand when I tried to clip his nails.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon argues with me when I trim them with nail trimmers but he doesn't argue quite as much when I use the drimmel tool. When anyone else does it he shakes and acts all scared and it breaks my heart I would rather just do it and him argue with me a little versus being afraid.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank hates having his nails done. I hold him off the ground while the groomer trims the nails. He still whines and carries on but he can't get any footing to run away because of how I hold him. He equally hates the dremmel. LOL

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
It takes a village.................:p

Indeed it does. I have only clipped Ace's twice by myself and had to do a nail, pause, praise, trick and then do another and etc. All the other times it has either been the Vet and an assistant or a Vet's assistant, with me assisting the assistant.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
No he was fine the firs few Times I took him and then all of sudden he was terrible. I think maybe it hurt once when I took him and he remembers
Our Pitty Orion (he's passed now) got cut once and he never forgot. Although I had no problem doing his nails, I did it in such a way that my face was always away from his just in case. I would imagine that having to be held down and such doesn't sit well with him either. Nail trimming can be very traumatizing to dogs. Poor guy. :hug:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow, Jeannie you're such a great mom:) I'm so impressed how you can keep the peace and they are all always so flippin clean and perfect:heart:.

I can cut the claws on all mine without problems but there are very sad faces in this house when the claw clipper comes out of its closet, lol.

Oh they're far from perfect but they are clean. :D It wasn't easy with Wilson, nor Emma, teaching them how to get their nails done. It was a time of patience and a time of "I win" when they were younger. I win meant we may not have finished that nail but they were not allowed to bolt and get away until I said they could go. My :rulez: Emma was hard once to get to lay on her back. But now she does it flawlessly. I really need to get some updated videos. I have the one in the grooming section of Emma squirming. She was 8 months old. She's 2 now.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Oh they're far from perfect but they are clean. :D It wasn't easy with Wilson, nor Emma, teaching them how to get their nails done. It was a time of patience and a time of "I win" when they were younger. I win meant we may not have finished that nail but they were not allowed to bolt and get away until I said they could go. My :rulez: Emma was hard once to get to lay on her back. But now she does it flawlessly. I really need to get some updated videos. I have the one in the grooming section of Emma squirming. She was 8 months old. She's 2 now.

Jaaa, videos pleeeease:yes: I can't believe you get them to lay on their backs for that:bow:. Sorry if I'm now :hijacked: this thread but I'm curious to how you do their ears? I can wipe my kids ears but when it comes to the Epi-Otic I struggle (that liquid, don't know if you have the same brand in USA). They hide, they run, they wrestle, it's a MISSION and a half:bang: Joey is so funny, she bites at the bottle, lol, she'd never think of biting me but the bottle must die, lol. I've seen videos of how people soak a cotton bud with the liquid and then squeeze it into the ear... but on the bottle it says to fill the ear canal... and it wont do that with only the liquid from the cotton bud?:unsure:. Luckily it's only Joey that has a bit of a problem with one of her ears, it's been going on and off since we got her. She had bad infections then and I think it messed her ear and hearing up a bit:(.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jaaa, videos pleeeease:yes: I can't believe you get them to lay on their backs for that:bow:. Sorry if I'm now :hijacked: this thread but I'm curious to how you do their ears? I can wipe my kids ears but when it comes to the Epi-Otic I struggle (that liquid, don't know if you have the same brand in USA). They hide, they run, they wrestle, it's a MISSION and a half:bang: Joey is so funny, she bites at the bottle, lol, she'd never think of biting me but the bottle must die, lol. I've seen videos of how people soak a cotton bud with the liquid and then squeeze it into the ear... but on the bottle it says to fill the ear canal... and it wont do that with only the liquid from the cotton bud?:unsure:. Luckily it's only Joey that has a bit of a problem with one of her ears, it's been going on and off since we got her. She had bad infections then and I think it messed her ear and hearing up a bit:(.

I completely missed this post Petra. Mine don't like the otic cleaner either and Emma will run away before I even get it opened. She hides under the table and chairs. But what I do for all but Jack when I need to do something with their face they don't like is this. Just stand behind them and reach over to their face and clean. When they try to back up and get away, they'll be blocked by your legs. That works outstanding for me. :up:

I'll try to get some videos on their next nail trim. Wilson usually starts snoring he gets that relaxed. Not always but usually.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I completely missed this post Petra. Mine don't like the otic cleaner either and Emma will run away before I even get it opened. She hides under the table and chairs. But what I do for all but Jack when I need to do something with their face they don't like is this. Just stand behind them and reach over to their face and clean. When they try to back up and get away, they'll be blocked by your legs. That works outstanding for me. :up:

I'll try to get some videos on their next nail trim. Wilson usually starts snoring he gets that relaxed. Not always but usually.

Haha, the ear cleaning... it's the WORST, lol. I did the bulldogs yesterday, Boeboe and Bennie went OK cos I surprised them in the morning when they were sleepy:evilplan: lol. Joey is the one putting up a fight, she really goes CRAZY:blink: One look at her and you'd think she can't make much of an escape but really she can run and wrestle, lol. I think maybe she's protective over her ears cos they used to hurt... she had a really bad infection when we got her:(. But shes fine when I only wipe the ears so I don't know:confused:. At least I've learned my lesson NOT doing epi otic on Joey while giving her a shower... last time resulted in her breaking out of the shower, soaking wet, running all over the place which has old wooden floors that doesn't take to much water that well:fie: after some chasing I got her stuck in the scullery in a corner next to the trash can. I almost had her when she launched for the trash, flipping it over and there the mission failed cos I had to sort the trash out, LOL. Me, the house and Joey was pretty done after that episode:whew: I somehow doubt my legs will stop her:tongue:;)

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
It takes two. We go to the groomers and they use the dremel. She normally is ok with it, just squirms alot. But yesterday she did not want to get them done. She backed away from me and got out of her collar come how. And then to make matters worse, they had this young girl who I havent seen before doing them and I think she cut a few too close(all of her nails are black). I heard her yelp a few times :( I hate having my baby get hurt, but theres no way shes gonna have long nails lol

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Haha, the ear cleaning... it's the WORST, lol. I did the bulldogs yesterday, Boeboe and Bennie went OK cos I surprised them in the morning when they were sleepy:evilplan: lol. Joey is the one putting up a fight, she really goes CRAZY:blink: One look at her and you'd think she can't make much of an escape but really she can run and wrestle, lol. I think maybe she's protective over her ears cos they used to hurt... she had a really bad infection when we got her:(. But shes fine when I only wipe the ears so I don't know:confused:. At least I've learned my lesson NOT doing epi otic on Joey while giving her a shower... last time resulted in her breaking out of the shower, soaking wet, running all over the place which has old wooden floors that doesn't take to much water that well:fie: after some chasing I got her stuck in the scullery in a corner next to the trash can. I almost had her when she launched for the trash, flipping it over and there the mission failed cos I had to sort the trash out, LOL. Me, the house and Joey was pretty done after that episode:whew: I somehow doubt my legs will stop her:tongue:;)

LOL I had to Google "scullery" Sheldon doesn't mind his ears being done but he HATES having his nails done but he doesn't mind the dremmel to much.

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.