Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many people does it take to clip a bulldogs nails???

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How many people does it take to clip a bulldogs nails???

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Oh they're far from perfect but they are clean. It wasn't easy with Wilson, nor Emma, teaching them how to get their nails done. It was a time of patience and a time of "I win" when they were younger. I win meant we may not have finished that nail but they were not allowed to bolt and get away until I said they could go. My Emma was hard once to get to lay on her back. But now she does it flawlessly. I really need to get some updated videos. I have the one in the grooming section of Emma squirming. She was 8 months old. She's 2 now.
    Jaaa, videos pleeeease I can't believe you get them to lay on their backs for that. Sorry if I'm now this thread but I'm curious to how you do their ears? I can wipe my kids ears but when it comes to the Epi-Otic I struggle (that liquid, don't know if you have the same brand in USA). They hide, they run, they wrestle, it's a MISSION and a half Joey is so funny, she bites at the bottle, lol, she'd never think of biting me but the bottle must die, lol. I've seen videos of how people soak a cotton bud with the liquid and then squeeze it into the ear... but on the bottle it says to fill the ear canal... and it wont do that with only the liquid from the cotton bud?. Luckily it's only Joey that has a bit of a problem with one of her ears, it's been going on and off since we got her. She had bad infections then and I think it messed her ear and hearing up a bit.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Real Name
    Stacy
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
    Likes (Received)

They are strong lil things!!
    Its so hard being the queen!!!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Jaaa, videos pleeeease I can't believe you get them to lay on their backs for that. Sorry if I'm now this thread but I'm curious to how you do their ears? I can wipe my kids ears but when it comes to the Epi-Otic I struggle (that liquid, don't know if you have the same brand in USA). They hide, they run, they wrestle, it's a MISSION and a half Joey is so funny, she bites at the bottle, lol, she'd never think of biting me but the bottle must die, lol. I've seen videos of how people soak a cotton bud with the liquid and then squeeze it into the ear... but on the bottle it says to fill the ear canal... and it wont do that with only the liquid from the cotton bud?. Luckily it's only Joey that has a bit of a problem with one of her ears, it's been going on and off since we got her. She had bad infections then and I think it messed her ear and hearing up a bit.
    I completely missed this post Petra. Mine don't like the otic cleaner either and Emma will run away before I even get it opened. She hides under the table and chairs. But what I do for all but Jack when I need to do something with their face they don't like is this. Just stand behind them and reach over to their face and clean. When they try to back up and get away, they'll be blocked by your legs. That works outstanding for me.

I'll try to get some videos on their next nail trim. Wilson usually starts snoring he gets that relaxed. Not always but usually.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    I completely missed this post Petra. Mine don't like the otic cleaner either and Emma will run away before I even get it opened. She hides under the table and chairs. But what I do for all but Jack when I need to do something with their face they don't like is this. Just stand behind them and reach over to their face and clean. When they try to back up and get away, they'll be blocked by your legs. That works outstanding for me.

I'll try to get some videos on their next nail trim. Wilson usually starts snoring he gets that relaxed. Not always but usually.
    Haha, the ear cleaning... it's the WORST, lol. I did the bulldogs yesterday, Boeboe and Bennie went OK cos I surprised them in the morning when they were sleepy lol. Joey is the one putting up a fight, she really goes CRAZY One look at her and you'd think she can't make much of an escape but really she can run and wrestle, lol. I think maybe she's protective over her ears cos they used to hurt... she had a really bad infection when we got her. But shes fine when I only wipe the ears so I don't know. At least I've learned my lesson NOT doing epi otic on Joey while giving her a shower... last time resulted in her breaking out of the shower, soaking wet, running all over the place which has old wooden floors that doesn't take to much water that well after some chasing I got her stuck in the scullery in a corner next to the trash can. I almost had her when she launched for the trash, flipping it over and there the mission failed cos I had to sort the trash out, LOL. Me, the house and Joey was pretty done after that episode I somehow doubt my legs will stop her

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

It takes two. We go to the groomers and they use the dremel. She normally is ok with it, just squirms alot. But yesterday she did not want to get them done. She backed away from me and got out of her collar come how. And then to make matters worse, they had this young girl who I havent seen before doing them and I think she cut a few too close(all of her nails are black). I heard her yelp a few times I hate having my baby get hurt, but theres no way shes gonna have long nails lol

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Haha, the ear cleaning... it's the WORST, lol. I did the bulldogs yesterday, Boeboe and Bennie went OK cos I surprised them in the morning when they were sleepy lol. Joey is the one putting up a fight, she really goes CRAZY One look at her and you'd think she can't make much of an escape but really she can run and wrestle, lol. I think maybe she's protective over her ears cos they used to hurt... she had a really bad infection when we got her. But shes fine when I only wipe the ears so I don't know. At least I've learned my lesson NOT doing epi otic on Joey while giving her a shower... last time resulted in her breaking out of the shower, soaking wet, running all over the place which has old wooden floors that doesn't take to much water that well after some chasing I got her stuck in the scullery in a corner next to the trash can. I almost had her when she launched for the trash, flipping it over and there the mission failed cos I had to sort the trash out, LOL. Me, the house and Joey was pretty done after that episode I somehow doubt my legs will stop her
    LOL I had to Google "scullery" Sheldon doesn't mind his ears being done but he HATES having his nails done but he doesn't mind the dremmel to much.

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    LOL I had to Google "scullery" Sheldon doesn't mind his ears being done but he HATES having his nails done but he doesn't mind the dremmel to much.
    Oh, is scullery not an American word? lol. I didn't know what it was before I moved here either but it's a common thing in SA for some reason. Think it's cos most people here has someone doing the cleaning for them... Mine are Ok with the nails if I'm not taking to long, then their patience runs out

Real Name
    Carrie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

I'm pretty lucky. Nail clipping and Dremel does not bother Stella in the least. Most of the time she falls asleep during it!! Maybe she has a sleep disorder…narcolepsy? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads