Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people does it take to clip a bulldogs nails???

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How many people does it take to clip a bulldogs nails???

I started taking Winston EARLY to the groomers, and they absolutely LOVE him there!!! But these dogs are so skittish, one bad time & they remember…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Highway
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Gunny is a monster when it comes to his nails! I can only do one paw a night because he throws a fit!

Real Name
    Samantha
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    June
    Likes (Received)

My bf and I have done it together only 2-3 times because she wiggles so much and tries to bite us! We took her to Petco to have them done before Thanksgiving and it took them less than 5 minutes!!!! One girl held her and petted her and the other clipped the nails and it was so quick and easy. What a brat

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Roughly three in my house. Two to hold her and then I get to clip. I actually purchased a dremel and it brought the number down to two. So what I do now to save the craziness is I take her tennis ball and stand at one end of my property, on the cement side, and throw the ball to the dirt side. The running back and forth during fetch helps grind down her nails. I wouldn't have to go through this is my little scardy cat would actually take walks out and about the neighborhood because they would grind down that way. Oh well what can I do. She gets some exercise and her nails get done at the same time...win win for us both.

Good luck, I know it's frustrating and such a struggle when they hate getting their nails done.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I take Vegas to have his dremeled $11. I tell the girls it will take two, one to hold and one to grind. I always tip both girls.

Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

Takes two here.. One to hold and me to clip. Unfortunately we've gotten into a bad tail pocket situation. It was infected once so now he is super jumpy about just regular wiping. It sucks. :-( What muzzle did you use? If I could find a muzzle that would fit his face, I would be less worried. Not like he'd actually intentionally bite, but he gets ver nervous and I worry that he will reflexively snap.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GusBus View Post
    Takes two here.. One to hold and me to clip. Unfortunately we've gotten into a bad tail pocket situation. It was infected once so now he is super jumpy about just regular wiping. It sucks. :-( What muzzle did you use? If I could find a muzzle that would fit his face, I would be less worried. Not like he'd actually intentionally bite, but he gets ver nervous and I worry that he will reflexively snap.
    Petco uses a lightweight mesh muzzle. When I was researching the safety of muzzles on bulldogs, I read that an owner should not muzzle their own pets. It could become a trust/aggression issue. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying you shouldn't try it if you want to I am just giving you a heads up of what I researched. I decided that it is such a production to clip his nails that I did not want him to be that upset with me and to let the professionals handle it. I agree about them not intentionally biting because Brutus is very docile otherwise. I can put my fingers in his mouth to retrieve "goodies" he is not supposed to have and touch his food etc....but he would definitely and has tried to bite my hand when I tried to clip his nails.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sheldon argues with me when I trim them with nail trimmers but he doesn't argue quite as much when I use the drimmel tool. When anyone else does it he shakes and acts all scared and it breaks my heart I would rather just do it and him argue with me a little versus being afraid.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Tank hates having his nails done. I hold him off the ground while the groomer trims the nails. He still whines and carries on but he can't get any footing to run away because of how I hold him. He equally hates the dremmel. LOL

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    It takes a village.................
    Indeed it does. I have only clipped Ace's twice by myself and had to do a nail, pause, praise, trick and then do another and etc. All the other times it has either been the Vet and an assistant or a Vet's assistant, with me assisting the assistant.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    No he was fine the firs few Times I took him and then all of sudden he was terrible. I think maybe it hurt once when I took him and he remembers
    Our Pitty Orion (he's passed now) got cut once and he never forgot. Although I had no problem doing his nails, I did it in such a way that my face was always away from his just in case. I would imagine that having to be held down and such doesn't sit well with him either. Nail trimming can be very traumatizing to dogs. Poor guy.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Wow, Jeannie you're such a great mom I'm so impressed how you can keep the peace and they are all always so flippin clean and perfect.

I can cut the claws on all mine without problems but there are very sad faces in this house when the claw clipper comes out of its closet, lol.
    Oh they're far from perfect but they are clean. It wasn't easy with Wilson, nor Emma, teaching them how to get their nails done. It was a time of patience and a time of "I win" when they were younger. I win meant we may not have finished that nail but they were not allowed to bolt and get away until I said they could go. My Emma was hard once to get to lay on her back. But now she does it flawlessly. I really need to get some updated videos. I have the one in the grooming section of Emma squirming. She was 8 months old. She's 2 now.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads