HELP!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Looking for some help from those of you that got a second dog after you already had one! Here's the scenario.....
we are visiting Ct and staying with my daughter who has a 2 year old boxer mix, Elliot. Bogey and he get along fine, but they play, rough house, growl, put each other down, NON STOP!!! I can tell Bogey is exhausted, but the play continues. We had to finally separate them in different rooms last night so they could both relax. I put Bogey in daycare today because I was afraid to leave them alone and I had to be gone all day. I was afraid there would be no house left when we got back. They just don't know enough to stop. It does get aggressive at times, I think when one has had it and the other doesn't get it. Nothing serious, but the growls get louder and sharper.
So tell me, do they eventually just get tired of the " newness" of having a playmate?
This is a very small condo, basically a living room, kitchen and 2 bedrooms upstairs. Hard to keep them apart, but they seem to love each other too. Elliot is much more tolerant than Bogey is. I have to keep tug toys away, as THAT really brought out some aggression in Bogey. Otherwise,it's just roughhouse play.
pleeeease tell me this will settle down, or we may be heading back to Florida a lot sooner than I thought!
Any input will be greatly appreciated!
The good news is that the hospital is in the process of allowing Bogey to visit during my daughters chemo on Friday! Keeping our fingers crossed! They will give me an answer tomorrow!
ok- time for some wine.......!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not sure if it stops after a while, I have two as well, they are siblings and have been together since birth, so get along really well, but we still deal with rough housing at times, and sometimes we have to separate them as well. Blossom has way more energy than Dozer, and Dozer mostly likes to sleep, so he gets tired faster, and needs to be alone sometimes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
have you tried talking them for a walk to get some of the energy out before the madness starts? Bogey is tiring first so that would be why he is less tolerant of Elliot... Boxers had a high energy level so he wants to continue and Bogey is hitting his limit so he is gettin annoyed, but the bull-head is not going to let him stop.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I agree, a good walk will help get lots of that pent-up energy out, plus tire them out as well. If possible, can you walk both together? I recently heard on the radio that walking two dogs together can help alleviate some of their aggression w/each other b/c during the walk they're "interacting" in a more neutral environment.

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
I have my English bull dog chesty who is almost 16 months. I live at my moms with her dog Clyde who is a blood hound and is 4. Chesty and Clyde play rough all the time and we as well have to have to separate them to have calm down time. But they can't have any toys out when they are both out because they both get aggressive with toys ): they don't like to share. But i've had chesty for a little over a year and him and clyde still play non stop and rough, so i don't know if they will ever grow out of it.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Looking for some help from those of you that got a second dog after you already had one! Here's the scenario.....
we are visiting Ct and staying with my daughter who has a 2 year old boxer mix, Elliot. Bogey and he get along fine, but they play, rough house, growl, put each other down, NON STOP!!! I can tell Bogey is exhausted, but the play continues. We had to finally separate them in different rooms last night so they could both relax. I put Bogey in daycare today because I was afraid to leave them alone and I had to be gone all day. I was afraid there would be no house left when we got back. They just don't know enough to stop. It does get aggressive at times, I think when one has had it and the other doesn't get it. Nothing serious, but the growls get louder and sharper.
So tell me, do they eventually just get tired of the " newness" of having a playmate?
This is a very small condo, basically a living room, kitchen and 2 bedrooms upstairs. Hard to keep them apart, but they seem to love each other too. Elliot is much more tolerant than Bogey is. I have to keep tug toys away, as THAT really brought out some aggression in Bogey. Otherwise,it's just roughhouse play.
pleeeease tell me this will settle down, or we may be heading back to Florida a lot sooner than I thought!
Any input will be greatly appreciated!
The good news is that the hospital is in the process of allowing Bogey to visit during my daughters chemo on Friday! Keeping our fingers crossed! They will give me an answer tomorrow!
ok- time for some wine.......!!!

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], and [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], Both hit the nail on the head. Rambo is 6 months younger than Rocky, They play together for about an hour, "ROUGH" then they nap, later in the day, They play together about another hour, their loud, growling and playing, I don't even look up as they roughhouse over toys, their is no fight to it, Funny, I'm used to it, This happens about 3 sometimes 4 times a day for about an hour, then a nap ensues. Your problem in this situation is the Boxer....... hahahahaha, I hate to say it, But do they ever run out of energy??? I would definitely take the boxer for a walk, and burn some energy, if your athletic maybe a jog, if not maybe a car and a rope and a deserted neighborhood for a few mile jog..... Point is this..... The boxer has way more energy than your Bully, and is going to wear you Bully down, to an irritable state. Knowing they love to play together, My suggestion is leveling the playing field by walking, jogging, or running the energy out of the boxer. Then let them play until they drop! It's really strange for them not to get along, and I'm sure the energy level of the boxer is much more than your baby. Give it a try, Please let us know how it works out.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/all the above comments… just wanted to add that I have a 9 year old boxer in addition to Winston. Sometimes Winston is TOO much for Roxie, so I crate up Winston… it calms him down & stops the madness. Can you put a crate in the condo for a time-out?!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.