Death balls of hell?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] I honestly have no idea how to cook raw ones since nobody would eat them but me. I think they may taste like cabbages just because I always thought they were but honestly havent had cooked cabbage in years so I dont know. Go and find the green giant boxed frozen ones in the butter sauce. They are THE best by far. Yum! You all are making me want some. Gonna have to run to vons to find them I think. lol

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
@TessaAnsSamson, I try to buy only fresh veggies and steam them. Ziplock invented these steamer bags (you can find them where the sandwich bags, foil, plastic wrap is kept in the store) that are FANTASTIC for all my veggies. Buy the Brussel Sprouts raw in the produce section at your grocery store, wash them put the amount you want in the bag with a a few Tbl. spoons of water and steam for 4 min. done!! Salt to taste. But as cal~jenn says the Green Giant frozen ones with light butter sauce are FANTASTIC also!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
OOoohhh ...... LOVE LOVE LOVE brussel sprouts. My hubby hates them, but the kids will eat them. Haven't tried the fur-kids with them.

I steam them or sometimes cut them in half and saute them in a little extra virgin olive oil with chopped up bacon and sometimes I add pine nuts. YUMMY!!!!:up:

Feeling hungry now ......... :rolleyes:

OH OH OH...... I HAVE to try the sauted ones. Might have to do that tonight... LOL,,,, darn, now Im hungry too.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
OMG, that's hilarous! I HATE them too. When I was little (like probably three, but I remember this like it was yesterday!), my Mom called them "Baby Cabbages" and insisted that we eat them. Well there was NO way I was going to eat the horrible things. So I was told I couldn't leave the table til mine were gone. I sat there til bedtime and my Mom never tried to get me to eat them again. SO you and Vegas just enjoy yourselves, YUCK!!!

My parents did the same thing with me with "Baby Cabbages" and I too sat at the table tell it was bed time.... with out going to the bathroom as I might spit them out.... needless to say I never feed them to my kids... I have the same one word for them..... YUCK!!!!

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION], I try to buy only fresh veggies and steam them. Ziplock invented these steamer bags (you can find them where the sandwich bags, foil, plastic wrap is kept in the store) that are FANTASTIC for all my veggies. Buy the Brussel Sprouts raw in the produce section at your grocery store, wash them put the amount you want in the bag with a a few Tbl. spoons of water and steam for 4 min. done!! Salt to taste. But as @cal~jenn says the Green Giant frozen ones with light butter sauce are FANTASTIC also!!

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] the green giant ones are delicious! i'll have to get those steamer bags. another good way to cook them is to split them, drizzle with olive oil or melted butter (or both) and season with thyme, lemon juice, salt and pepper. i bake them in the toaster oven at 400 until they smell good and give up some liquid, 20-30 mins approx.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Bruce fixed us brussel sprouts for dinner last night because this thread made him hungry for them. Gracie didn't get any. But they sure were good!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Awe poor Gracie!!! :down: She doesnt know what she was missing tho so she will be ok. haha. [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] that way of cooking them sounds yummy too. Maybe one of these days I will try to make some fresh ones even if it will just be for me and if I am lucky my daughter, probably not tho.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I tried brussel sprouts and loved them! So much so that we had them 2 nights in a row LOL They definitely remind me of mini cabbages. I got the frozen ones (couldn't find the ones you were talking about Jenn), they were the steamfresh kind where you microwave them in the bag they are sold in. Just put a little butter and garlic pepper, yum yum! Dave said the fresh ones taste different which makes sense because thats always the case with veggies. But the only times I have seen the fresh ones in the store lately they were really expensive! So I didn't buy any fresh ones yet but I will! So thank you [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] for helping me expand my horizons LOL

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] the only place I have been able to find the green giant frozen boxed ones is at vons nowadays. Staters carries the other varieties of veggies in a box but not the brussell sprouts anymore. Sad! I still say you find them, they are the best aside from probably fresh which I still havent had. One of these days I will try them fresh tho and I bet they will be even yummier!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] Staters is where I got them. They were on sale I think last week, $2 for the "steamfresh" bag. Not sure what the company is that makes those but it was at Staters. Maybe your Staters just doesn't care them :( I'll have to stop by Vons because there is one not far from home.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh I didnt mean staters doesnt carry them at all, they just dont carry the green giant butter ones that are so yummy. I think I did try the regular frozen ones once and they were ok but nothing compared to the green giant. Course I didnt know what to do with them really at that point either. Once you try the box of them that I am talking about you will understand. Gosh I keep forgetting to go get them and then we have this conversation and it makes me wanna run up to vons. haha

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Funny how things vary in different parts of the country... we almost always have fresh available but sometimes they get pricey, like asparagus. We always have a choice of frozen brussels. Fresh steamed for about 10 minutes leaves them crisp, not mushy like some of the frozen. Fresh also have a crisper, sharper flavor....... mmmmmmmmm! ;)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Bulldogs and Brussel sprouts ... only on EBN could a thread like this last so long ... aren't we just the greatest!!! :up: :lol:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.