Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Snuggled into your magnificent bulk lie your tiny, suckling babes.

Hard won, your precious trophies.

Long days, weeks, months of waiting, uncomfortable always.

Tummy problems, organs painfully & incessantly squeezed.

Hormones raging, moody, grumpy, you groan as you move
yet again to lie in peace.

You endure stoically, heroically,endlessly waiting.

Finally, it is time.

Strange smells assail you, the hard table beneath you, intrusive
blinding light!

You struggle with the mask, the gas, the knife starts it's slide,
the frightened, pleading, praying eyes of your beloved person
then...darkness.

Pain, pain, pain...

Then, whimpers, your babies crying.

Nothing will stop you from getting to those babies, nothing.

Snuggled into your magnificent bulk lie your tiny, suckling babes.

Hard won, your precious trophies!

Dear EBNers, many times looking into Cami's eyes (a retired breeder),
and being the beneficiary of her motherly love & comforting, I think of
the price these wonderful bullies pay to bring their little ones into the
world. We owe them an unpayable debt.

A remark that [MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] made, of struggling to control his Molly, hearing
her babies and trying to get to them just broke my heart, thinking of all
the Mother Bully endures. So much sacrifice!

I know it's impossible yet the dream lives inside of me and I know, inside
all of you, that each Mother Bully is given the care she deserves and not
be overbred before retired and pampered in a loving, forever home.

That each precious puppy gets chosen by a kind, responsible & loving
owner that will do all that is required for their bully's optimum health &
happiness.

It is the Christmas Season, a time for hopes, dreams and miracles wished
for, prayers sent to Heaven and miracles happening.

And fulfilled.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
This is beautiful Carol ,and somewhat sad :-(
It always gets me when people (that i got to meet in my 28 years ) breed purely for money-and those poor fur mums aren't really cared for
I lost a lot of friends thrugh my big mouth Nd short fuse as i wont stand for animal profit making xxxx
Cami is in safe hands ,shes really lucky to have you xx

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Beautiful Carol… I know watching Bella w/her babies, you could tell she cared for them very much. I was much more upset to watch them go then she was though… LOL I pray that those precious babes are loved as much as we loved them in our home, but I know it's in God's hands now. :angelheart:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well written and so true, it's kind of heart breaking actually. We do owe them an unpayable debt. :( Cami is so lucky to have you Carol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In a way it hurts to read, but necessary to know... Thank you Carol.

hugs to you and Ms Cami

OP
Texas Carol

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
As usual for me, quickly written & immediate posting, never thinking it might
cause hurt feelings, guilt or sadness, I apologize if so for anyone. It's from
my own conflicted feelings about my love for bullies & owning them. Knowing
more & more as I'm here at EBN and all it takes to get them into this world for
us to have one is bittersweet for me. Knowing they need such special, expensive
and skilled care but so many are bred for profit and DO NOT get any of this care
enrages and saddens me. I loved my Brutus, more than I can say but my 6 months
with Cami has me reflecting on how much we owe these mothers who go thru so
much more than other female breeds just to have babies. Cami mothers everyone
and everything and recently was attacked by a baby kitten that was stupidly thrust
into her face. She stoof stock still and took it, no move or sound. I believe because
Cami knew it was a baby. I tear up now and did then from seeing the wounded look
in her gentle eyes, her heart hurt far worse than her bleeding face. I have developed
the deepest respect and admiration for Cami apart from my love for her. As such, I
think of the extradinary mother she must have been and so wrote this today for her
and all the bully mothers. Thank GOD for them! Much love to everyone~Carol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That was great Carol, and i agree with you, and that mama's should be taken good care of and not bred to death, and their babies should find loving fur-ever homes.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
That is why i love this forum , all of you are animal lovers (that are a bit crazy about their spoilt rotten babies) and i fit well here ;-) xxx

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Yes it is something to think about, I hate the thought of breeding just for money and no care to the mother or her babies, I know what you are saying Carol, very special words, and I know that you were not talking about everyone who breeds, because there are so many wonderful breeders out there that care for Mum and Bubs.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Your comment hit home on why my wife decided to breed our little Molly.

My very first post on this forum talked about how hard it was for me to 'buy' a purebred dog. Having worked with rescue shelters and fostering 'unwanted' dogs for the past 20 years it was a very hard thing to do. In the end we found a responsible breeder and Molly ended up in our lives.

Flash forward a year and a few of my wife's friends decide they want an EB (Molly is a good sales girl). We had just finished fostering a 3 month old lab puppy... and i'll admit i had a bad case of puppy want after he left for his new home (he was with us for 6 weeks).

The breeder we got molly from was taking a break and all we found in the classifieds were scams and puppy mills. I couldn't find a male bulldog within a few hundred miles i was willing to 'adopt' and my wife's friends were frustrated with their own EB search..

Flash forward another year..

So my wife came up with her crazy plan to breed Molly (i know for a fact i said 'hellz no!'.. but i'm not the head of our pack). The puppy owners were lined up (the 'friends of friends' were thoroughly screened).. ancestry checked of both Molly and the baby daddy.. Vet visits to check health.. Volunteers lined up to help (two experienced breeders, two vets and a vet tech).. then wham-bam-thank-you-walter.. Molly is pregnant.

My wife watched Molly's pregnancy as a miracle of life.. I watched it in pure terror (is she in pain, are the puppies going to be ok, is she eating right.. etc)

.. and to top everything off.. Molly went into labor 2 days before her scheduled C-Section.. after the vet had closed.. and my wife was at a work reception.

Terror... Panic.. i cant think of the words that described that night. Two hours after yelling at the vet to get his a$$ back into that office i was handed a basket of newborn guinea pigs and was sent home.. to which my wife was still not back yet. (Lets just say my daughter is going to have a great Christmas for having to put up with how crazy i was)

I remember calling in the troops.. people showed up with formula and bottles.. i like to think i handled it all smashingly.. but in truth i just blacked out.. then my wife showed up and i passed out.

When Molly got home the next morning i was amazed at how fast she turned into mommy mode. She slept through the berth of her puppies but somehow she knew they where hers. She was gentle, loving and was never more then 3 feet from them for the first few days.

.. and then there was little Dotty... She wouldn't eat and always cried. The hours we spend bottle feeding her while the rest nursed.. the days we held her in a blanket trying to comfort her.. then when the vet said there was nothing more to be done.. she was only with us for a few days but her death hit me like the passing of every dog i've ever had. Her time was short but she was loved.

One of our friends who breeds and shows German Shepherd's told us Molly's pregnancy would either "Scramble her brains or set her straight!".. Molly went from being a crazy goofball to a tender mom. It breaks my heart to see how skinny she is now having given everything she has to her puppies. Her weight is slowly coming back and the vet's say she's in great health... but its hard to think of what we put her through.

As of today.. the puppies have been picked.. there isn't a night that a family doesn't come over to snuggle with their new member... and Molly sits and watches. Part of me thinks she's saying "TAKE IT HOME NOW!!!".. and part of me thinks she'll miss them. Luckily most will be only a few blocks away and play dates are already planned.

At Thanksgiving my father-in-law was kind enough to add up how much money this adventure has cost us. I like to think that it was all worth it..

I paid myself for a cute little EB boy that i know came from a good family.. and as an extra bonus 4 other homes get blessed with a new member. Thats 5 puppies that didn't help support the puppy mill cycle.

It is also something we will NEVER DO AGAIN!! And i would recommend people to NEVER DO IT. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.. and i basically just watched!

OP
Texas Carol

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Your comment hit home on why my wife decided to breed our little Molly.

My very first post on this forum talked about how hard it was for me to 'buy' a purebred dog. Having worked with rescue shelters and fostering 'unwanted' dogs for the past 20 years it was a very hard thing to do. In the end we found a responsible breeder and Molly ended up in our lives.

Flash forward a year and a few of my wife's friends decide they want an EB (Molly is a good sales girl). We had just finished fostering a 3 month old lab puppy... and i'll admit i had a bad case of puppy want after he left for his new home (he was with us for 6 weeks).

The breeder we got molly from was taking a break and all we found in the classifieds were scams and puppy mills. I couldn't find a male bulldog within a few hundred miles i was willing to 'adopt' and my wife's friends were frustrated with their own EB search..

Flash forward another year..

So my wife came up with her crazy plan to breed Molly (i know for a fact i said 'hellz no!'.. but i'm not the head of our pack). The puppy owners were lined up (the 'friends of friends' were thoroughly screened).. ancestry checked of both Molly and the baby daddy.. Vet visits to check health.. Volunteers lined up to help (two experienced breeders, two vets and a vet tech).. then wham-bam-thank-you-walter.. Molly is pregnant.

My wife watched Molly's pregnancy as a miracle of life.. I watched it in pure terror (is she in pain, are the puppies going to be ok, is she eating right.. etc)

.. and to top everything off.. Molly went into labor 2 days before her scheduled C-Section.. after the vet had closed.. and my wife was at a work reception.

Terror... Panic.. i cant think of the words that described that night. Two hours after yelling at the vet to get his a$$ back into that office i was handed a basket of newborn guinea pigs and was sent home.. to which my wife was still not back yet. (Lets just say my daughter is going to have a great Christmas for having to put up with how crazy i was)

I remember calling in the troops.. people showed up with formula and bottles.. i like to think i handled it all smashingly.. but in truth i just blacked out.. then my wife showed up and i passed out.

When Molly got home the next morning i was amazed at how fast she turned into mommy mode. She slept through the berth of her puppies but somehow she knew they where hers. She was gentle, loving and was never more then 3 feet from them for the first few days.

.. and then there was little Dotty... She wouldn't eat and always cried. The hours we spend bottle feeding her while the rest nursed.. the days we held her in a blanket trying to comfort her.. then when the vet said there was nothing more to be done.. she was only with us for a few days but her death hit me like the passing of every dog i've ever had. Her time was short but she was loved.

One of our friends who breeds and shows German Shepherd's told us Molly's pregnancy would either "Scramble her brains or set her straight!".. Molly went from being a crazy goofball to a tender mom. It breaks my heart to see how skinny she is now having given everything she has to her puppies. Her weight is slowly coming back and the vet's say she's in great health... but its hard to think of what we put her through.

As of today.. the puppies have been picked.. there isn't a night that a family doesn't come over to snuggle with their new member... and Molly sits and watches. Part of me thinks she's saying "TAKE IT HOME NOW!!!".. and part of me thinks she'll miss them. Luckily most will be only a few blocks away and play dates are already planned.

At Thanksgiving my father-in-law was kind enough to add up how much money this adventure has cost us. I like to think that it was all worth it..

I paid myself for a cute little EB boy that i know came from a good family.. and as an extra bonus 4 other homes get blessed with a new member. Thats 5 puppies that didn't help support the puppy mill cycle.

It is also something we will NEVER DO AGAIN!! And i would recommend people to NEVER DO IT. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.. and i basically just watched!

Again...I LOVED your post here, just makes me cry every time, so much written here, true!
I wish every bully could have homes like your Molly and her puppies do~GOD bless you!!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
As usual for me, quickly written & immediate posting, never thinking it might
cause hurt feelings, guilt or sadness, I apologize if so for anyone. It's from
my own conflicted feelings about my love for bullies & owning them. Knowing
more & more as I'm here at EBN and all it takes to get them into this world for
us to have one is bittersweet for me. Knowing they need such special, expensive
and skilled care but so many are bred for profit and DO NOT get any of this care
enrages and saddens me. I loved my Brutus, more than I can say but my 6 months
with Cami has me reflecting on how much we owe these mothers who go thru so
much more than other female breeds just to have babies. Cami mothers everyone
and everything and recently was attacked by a baby kitten that was stupidly thrust
into her face. She stoof stock still and took it, no move or sound. I believe because
Cami knew it was a baby. I tear up now and did then from seeing the wounded look
in her gentle eyes, her heart hurt far worse than her bleeding face. I have developed
the deepest respect and admiration for Cami apart from my love for her. As such, I
think of the extradinary mother she must have been and so wrote this today for her
and all the bully mothers. Thank GOD for them! Much love to everyone~Carol

I don't know how I missed this back in December, but this has just moved me so much. Thank you Carol -- your posts always make me think...and make me feel!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Thank you for sharing. Its beautiful!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.