We have bedding issues

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Or maybe it's human issues. I'm not sure!

Khaleesi still sleeps in her crate at night (she's barely 6 months old) When in the crate she ALWAYS has to get up at least once to go out. Many times she will pee in the crate before she wakes me up. I change the bedding in that crate every single day. The problem is that she wants a fluffy bed. before we ever let her into our own bed, she would wake up and want to sleep in her "baby bed" which is one of those fluffy walled pet beds. But I can't let her sleep in that at night because I'm afraid she'll use the carpet as a toilet. I was tired of washing so much bedding (we'd try to make it as fluffy as possible for Queen Bee) SO....we tried getting fancy memory foam bedding to put in the crate....she shredded it. I don't know what else to try.
If I let her sleep with us, she sleeps through the night no problem. BUT, she's such a bed hog, no one else gets any sleep!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At 6 months she can only hold her bladder for 7 hours... Is the night time more than that?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would take the bedding out. Gema at 6 months of age was sleeping all night, from 9:30 until 5:30 or 6 in the morning and not wetting her bed. We do not put bedding in their crates, but we have nylon crate pads in their crates so they don't have to sleep on the crate pans.

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Oh the joys of our ever so spoiled bullies :)

Jagger is a bed hog - we got a California king size bed right after we got Jagger

ebadagah.jpg

y3uvu7a7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
She goes to bed at 9:00-9:30 and the latest she will sleep is around 4:00. Some nights she gets up a couple of times a night, and we think it's because she doesn't' think her bed is fluffy enough, so taking the bedding out isn't really an option. When we put just a towel on the bottom of the crate she's up at least 3-4 times a night. Even the wool type crate pad with the rolled sides isn't enough.
Jennye-we've talked about the need for a bigger bed. haha!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Have you tried making her crate smaller? They don't like to pee where they have to sleep but some don't mind peeing near where they sleep.

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Ellie is one who will pee where she sleeps, she doesn't care. But she will only pee if she has something to pee on. So, if she does have to go in her kennel there is nothing in it. If there is, she will destroy it or pee on it. But she never pees in her bed in my bedroom or on anything else.

Jagger won't typically pee but he will absolutely destroy any type of pad or blanket you put in his kennel. But never destroys blankets or pillows in the big bed (he sleeps with me at night)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Or maybe it's human issues. I'm not sure!

Khaleesi still sleeps in her crate at night (she's barely 6 months old) When in the crate she ALWAYS has to get up at least once to go out. Many times she will pee in the crate before she wakes me up. I change the bedding in that crate every single day. The problem is that she wants a fluffy bed. before we ever let her into our own bed, she would wake up and want to sleep in her "baby bed" which is one of those fluffy walled pet beds. But I can't let her sleep in that at night because I'm afraid she'll use the carpet as a toilet. I was tired of washing so much bedding (we'd try to make it as fluffy as possible for Queen Bee) SO....we tried getting fancy memory foam bedding to put in the crate....she shredded it. I don't know what else to try.
If I let her sleep with us, she sleeps through the night no problem. BUT, she's such a bed hog, no one else gets any sleep!!

I feel your pain. For a few month, Blue slept with us too and he was the only one that got any sleep.

Only thing I can think of is really wear her out during the day so she'll sleep through the night. Just be sure to take her out right before bed time.
I'm thinking if she's exhausted, she'll sleep through anything and there won't be any accidents.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
If her crate gets any smaller she won't fit in there! haha. She just doesn't seem to care about sleeping in pee. We do try to wear her out most nights before bedtime. She's just stubborn. For Christmas she's going to get 50 different types of new beds, and we'll just go down the line trying them out until one of us gets some sleep. ;)

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I'm with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] take out the bedding, she should earn it!! when she stops peeing in her bed get her the fluffiest fanciest bed you can afford!! When Chunk was a baby he peed on soft things, so no bedding for him, then he stepped up to a door mat (nicer than hard plastic, no loud nails sounds ) and when he had a whole month of pee-free nights he got a super cheap petsmart bed, and a few months later he got a sweet plushy bed :D but my big boy had to prove he could keep it nice! no pee, not destroying, NOTHING,!!

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
I'm with @Davidh take out the bedding, she should earn it!! when she stops peeing in her bed get her the fluffiest fanciest bed you can afford!! When Chunk was a baby he peed on soft things, so no bedding for him, then he stepped up to a door mat (nicer than hard plastic, no loud nails sounds ) and when he had a whole month of pee-free nights he got a super cheap petsmart bed, and a few months later he got a sweet plushy bed :D but my big boy had to prove he could keep it nice! no pee, not destroying, NOTHING,!!

That's where the argument comes in. My DH's theory is that she's only peeing in the crate because she's uncomfortable and has woken up because of it. (Just as if we as humans wake up uncomfortable and then decide we need to pee, but if we sleep through the night, we don't pee) he thinks this because if she's sleeping in the bed with us, she will sleep through the night no pee issues at all.
Is that weird thinking?

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
If she goes to bed at 9-9:30 when do you puck her water up? I would pick it up about 2 hours before bed and Definitely take her out right before bed. Is she waking up at the same times every night to pee in her crate? Maybe if she is, as much of a pain as it will be to you, you can set alarm n get up right before n take her out? We use the kong bedding in a Brie's crate which she seems comfy on. It isn't fluffy tho. She sleeps in my bed at nite and yes, she takes up too much space but I love snuggling her. However, when she does go in her crate be it for a nap or all night, she holds her pee. I remember having to take her out several times throughout the night til she was about 6 months old. I was lucky tho cos she always let me know when she needed to go out. I hope you guys can figure something out soon...I can imagine how frustrating it is.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
If she goes to bed at 9-9:30 when do you puck her water up? I would pick it up about 2 hours before bed and Definitely take her out right before bed. Is she waking up at the same times every night to pee in her crate? Maybe if she is, as much of a pain as it will be to you, you can set alarm n get up right before n take her out? We use the kong bedding in a Brie's crate which she seems comfy on. It isn't fluffy tho. She sleeps in my bed at nite and yes, she takes up too much space but I love snuggling her. However, when she does go in her crate be it for a nap or all night, she holds her pee. I remember having to take her out several times throughout the night til she was about 6 months old. I was lucky tho cos she always let me know when she needed to go out. I hope you guys can figure something out soon...I can imagine how frustrating it is.

We actually don't take up her water. I hadn't thought of that as another issue. We used to do that every night. Set the alarm that is. And then I found that she was letting me know before the alarm went off, so I quit setting it. For a long time she would let me know beforehand and I'd take her out. This peeing in her crate before she wakes me up just started recently. Maybe we should try going back to that. I wish I could put one of those walled dog beds in the crate, but since they are hard to wash, I'm afraid to.

Last edited:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
We actually don't take up her water. I hadn't thought of that as another issue. We used to do that every night. Set the alarm that is. And then I found that she was letting me know before the alarm went off, so I quit setting it. For a long time she would let me know beforehand and I'd take her out. This peeing in her crate before she wakes me up just started recently. Maybe we should try going back to that. I wish I could put one of those walled dog beds in the crate, but since they are hard to wash, I'm afraid to.

Yeah, i keep her bedding simple until she gets the hang of things. Don't make it harder if yourself if you do need to wash it. Maybe if you can try picking up the water n setting your clock again. Granted, at her age she should be able to hold it for about 7 hours, but every dog is different. Females can't hold their bladder as long as males, and make sure she doesn't have any chew toys in her crate at night as chewing can also promote having to pee. The things we oh through for our furry babies I swear! Lol but in the end, they really are worth it. I have a 14 1/2 yo female shiba inu who can no longer tell when she had to poop so I'm cleaning poo out if her crate daily. She can still hold her per, but I can tell it's getting more difficult for her.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.