Fostering Advice please!

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
A friend of a friend needed help, so we agreed to foster a beautiful French Mastiff (think Turner and Hooch)!! I have never fostered before and will gladly take any tips!! When we were hopefull for adopting a dog some of you offered some great tid-bits that I followed, such as walking the dogs together before entering the house, and keeping all toys away for a while! But I never expected to be caring for such a large and powerful dog, I would REALLY appreciate any help! and if anyone in the DC metro area wants a super sweet French Mastiff call Mastiffs to Mutts rescue ;-)

OP
truffle shuffle

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
IMG_2138587310790.jpegOOOOOPS,!! almost forgot a picture!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG. he is beautiful!!!!
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] was a foster for awhile. Maybe she can give some insight . There is another member that just started fostering and I can not remember the name.. If it comes to me I'll come back and tag them

freebeans

May 1, 2013
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
duke
Oh he is So pretty. Does he drool a lot? I have a rescued Bullie,and we love him. Best of luck with this guy. I would love to get another!

Last edited:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
sounds like you are doing things right with walking together and keeping toys separated. Also keep the dogs separated when not being supervised and you might want to keep them on leashes, even in the house, so if something does happen you can separate easier. I foster for Detroit Bulldog Rescue and a french mastiff has always been my dream dog but not sure I want another big drooly dog. We had st. bernard's previously.

OP
truffle shuffle

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
She's suprisingly not drooly, just a small trail of water from the bowl.... less than Chunky even!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow what a beauty! How's it going so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We have been foster family to many a dog. One of my favorite things to do was take the dog everywhere with me (pet store, dog park). Then whenever anybody commented about them I'd make sure to have the rescue info handy :) I also like to establish a routine for the dog that is very predictable. Most foster dogs are somewhat spun around from their normal routine being changed. Then...when they get adopted, pass along as much info as you can to their new family. Like a letter to the family about the dogs likes/dislikes and routine. Bless you for taking in a rescue :heart:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
OMG, she's beautiful, that face, those eyes!

If I had the money to feed her, I'd adopt her, as it is, I sure will pray
for a wonderful, forever home for this lovely, lovely girl <3

GOD bless you for fostering!

OP
truffle shuffle

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Thanks for all the support guys ♡ so far we're doing pretty well! She has some resource guarding to deal with, but I have already called a friend that is becoming a behaviorist so as to curb that before it becomes a real issue! But she is very loving and did amazingly well at the park!!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Most (probably all) of the dogs I've fostered where in the 'system' due to behavior problems... It's amazing how many 'bad traits' seem to vanish once a dog learns some simple obedience commands.

I would suggest you work with her constantly. With a little structure and training they always seem to find a home quick :)

OP
truffle shuffle

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
20131205_170337.jpguseing their powers of smoosh to get that jerky!!! Mama's a sucker for smoosh!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Wow such a beauty!!! My best advise for any foster babies is "consistency consistency consistency" start right from the beginning introducing the Rules Boundaries and Limitations of the home and with Consistency things should go really well :)

triplej

Sep 22, 2013
Ky. Near Natural Bridge state park.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullett, Salley, Kelsey and Kate
I have a French Mastiff pup approx. 12 weeks old @ 22 lbs, I have read where to much exercise after meals can cause problems something about their stomach can twist, this can be bad news. My daughter in law lost one with that after a large very large vet bill. I let my girl play just a little but not after eating.

OP
truffle shuffle

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
ooo great thanks @triplej and [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] ! and a couple more photos for [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]20131208_145931.jpg20131210_133743.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.