Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demodex Mange (localized...so far)

Real Name
    Lou
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sophie the 2nd
    Likes (Received)

Default Demodex Mange (localized...so far)

Hello everyone

I'm very worried about the Demodex diagnoses of my 6 mo old Sophie the second. I know it is hereditary and has not cure.
    Sophie the second was bought for private owner. She already received one shot of Ivermectin.
    Please, any advice about how to get it under control? I had another English Bulldog suffering from same disease and she got Generalized Demodex with it was trigger after first period. Would like to know if Sophie II Demodex can get worsen after hormone trigger?
    Treatments?? Advices please?
    I'm desperate. Don't want to lose her as I lost Sophie Iů.please
    Thx

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Demodex Mange (localizedůso far)

Bogey got Demodex mange at 11 months old. They gave him Ivermectin once a day orally for 6 weeks. He still tested positive, but many less mites, so they treated him for another 2 weeks and it completely resolved. Very common in young dogs as their immune system is not fully developed. He should be on ivermectin daily, and you should be giving probiotics to boost his immune system. These mites are on ALL dogs, it's just the young ones or immune compromised ones that can't fight them off. He is not contagious to humans or other dogs. Stay the course- it is easily treated! Ask any questions you may have!!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

I just re- read your post and am a little confused. Demodex mange IS treatable and curable. It just takes time and persistence. Unless you plan to breed, why not spay? I have no idea if hormones can trigger a worse response. I have no knowledge of Demodex transitioning to generalized mange. I am sorry you lost a bully to this. Maybe a second opinion is in order. Good luck,
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have no direct experience with mange, but do know it is treatable as you are getting the Ivermectin shots.... I will tag a few members that have experience with heats and may be able to provide some insight.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    BUGZY
    Likes (Received)

My bully had this at a young age and with treatment for about a couple of wks and change of food he has been better for almost 2 years good luck

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sheldon had this as well when he was younger it can be triggered by stress we got a dip from our vet that worked really well it stunk to high heaven but it worked. He hasn't tested positive since!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It is my understanding that all canines are born with demodex, it is the stress on the immune system that triggers them to take over.... It is curable but can take several months.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Coco
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    Sheldon had this as well when he was younger it can be triggered by stress we got a dip from our vet that worked really well it stunk to high heaven but it worked. He hasn't tested positive since!
    That's what happened with coco. She's been brilliant since then touch wood xx

Real Name
    Crystal
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepper Potts
    Likes (Received)

Demodex is easily controlled with a monthly dose of promeris. It works on fleas, ticks, and mange. The doc I used to work for stopped using Ivermectin when promeris came out and we always had good results with it!
    "You may judge Man by his treatment of animals."
    Happily married to my best friend & owned by two felines, three skin kids, and one adorable Bully.
    Who rescued who?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

I'll have to look up what the vet prescribed for Molly when she was a puppy... But it cleared right up. It's a scary thing to have happen, but its not that uncommon.

Default Re: Demodex Mange (localized...so far)

my baby (Spinach) is 5mo..losing hair everywhere..is on ivomec everyday for a week.. hope she gets better

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Demodex Mange (localized...so far)

Leo had demodex when he was 5 months old and was on ivermectin for 8 weeks (weekly shots). As soon as he tested negative my biggest mistake was was taking off the ivermectin right away. The demodex returned but I did not know until several months later when I started seeing the tell tale tin bald spots. He is now on oral ivermectin (daily) and will remain on it for several weeks past a negative skin scrape.
    Also, demodex mites live deep in the had follicle an come out to the surface in the evening to mate. This is the best time to wash the dog with benzoyl peroxide shampoo. Benzoyl peroxide acts as a follicle flush and will remove live and dead mites from the hair shaft along with sebum, which is what the mites feed on. Dead mites clogging up the follicle are what causes secondary skin infections. Benzoyl peroxide shampoo alone will not cure demodex, unless it is very mind. However, in combination with medication, it will resolve the condition much faster while preventing secondary skin problems due to the mites. Demodex can take a long time to resolve and often looks worse before it starts looking better. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads