Azubela

Jul 24, 2013
Miami Lakes, Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie the 2nd
Hello everyone

I'm very worried about the Demodex diagnoses of my 6 mo old Sophie the second. I know it is hereditary and has not cure.
Sophie the second was bought for private owner. She already received one shot of Ivermectin.
Please, any advice about how to get it under control? I had another English Bulldog suffering from same disease and she got Generalized Demodex with it was trigger after first period. Would like to know if Sophie II Demodex can get worsen after hormone trigger?
Treatments?? Advices please?
I'm desperate. Don't want to lose her as I lost Sophie Iā€¦.please
Thx

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Re: Demodex Mange (localizedā€¦so far)

Bogey got Demodex mange at 11 months old. They gave him Ivermectin once a day orally for 6 weeks. He still tested positive, but many less mites, so they treated him for another 2 weeks and it completely resolved. Very common in young dogs as their immune system is not fully developed. He should be on ivermectin daily, and you should be giving probiotics to boost his immune system. These mites are on ALL dogs, it's just the young ones or immune compromised ones that can't fight them off. He is not contagious to humans or other dogs. Stay the course- it is easily treated! Ask any questions you may have!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)

I just re- read your post and am a little confused. Demodex mange IS treatable and curable. It just takes time and persistence. Unless you plan to breed, why not spay? I have no idea if hormones can trigger a worse response. I have no knowledge of Demodex transitioning to generalized mange. I am sorry you lost a bully to this. Maybe a second opinion is in order. Good luck,

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I have no direct experience with mange, but do know it is treatable as you are getting the Ivermectin shots.... I will tag a few members that have experience with heats and may be able to provide some insight.

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY

My bully had this at a young age and with treatment for about a couple of wks and change of food he has been better for almost 2 years good luck

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

Sheldon had this as well when he was younger it can be triggered by stress we got a dip from our vet that worked really well it stunk to high heaven but it worked. He hasn't tested positive since!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

It is my understanding that all canines are born with demodex, it is the stress on the immune system that triggers them to take over.... It is curable but can take several months.

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco

Sheldon had this as well when he was younger it can be triggered by stress we got a dip from our vet that worked really well it stunk to high heaven but it worked. He hasn't tested positive since!

That's what happened with coco. She's been brilliant since then touch wood xx

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts

Demodex is easily controlled with a monthly dose of promeris. It works on fleas, ticks, and mange. The doc I used to work for stopped using Ivermectin when promeris came out and we always had good results with it!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)

I'll have to look up what the vet prescribed for Molly when she was a puppy... But it cleared right up. It's a scary thing to have happen, but its not that uncommon.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Leo had demodex when he was 5 months old and was on ivermectin for 8 weeks (weekly shots). As soon as he tested negative my biggest mistake was was taking off the ivermectin right away. The demodex returned but I did not know until several months later when I started seeing the tell tale tin bald spots. He is now on oral ivermectin (daily) and will remain on it for several weeks past a negative skin scrape.
Also, demodex mites live deep in the had follicle an come out to the surface in the evening to mate. This is the best time to wash the dog with benzoyl peroxide shampoo. Benzoyl peroxide acts as a follicle flush and will remove live and dead mites from the hair shaft along with sebum, which is what the mites feed on. Dead mites clogging up the follicle are what causes secondary skin infections. Benzoyl peroxide shampoo alone will not cure demodex, unless it is very mind. However, in combination with medication, it will resolve the condition much faster while preventing secondary skin problems due to the mites. Demodex can take a long time to resolve and often looks worse before it starts looking better. Good luck!

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
My Romeo had demodectic mange when we got him at around 4 months.. He had just had cherry eye surgery and was spayed before we brought him home.. He was on ivermectin 2x daily for around 8 months until his monthly scrapings came up clear but our vet says that stress or illness can bring it out again at any time..but he is 3 now and we have not had a reoccourance..I would keep him in the ivermectin until he comes up clear otherwise it will never fully go away

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
My Romeo had demodectic mange when we got him at around 4 months.. He had just had cherry eye surgery and was spayed before we brought him home.. He was on ivermectin 2x daily for around 8 months until his monthly scrapings came up clear but our vet says that stress or illness can bring it out again at any time..but he is 3 now and we have not had a reoccourance..I would keep him in the ivermectin until he comes up clear otherwise it will never fully go away
wow! 8 months? Thats such a long time! poor baby. Im glad it is gone for good!

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
My male had mange and I found a treatment that really works.I will give you the reciepe .
1 cup peroxide
2 cups water
put Borax 1 tab. at a time in mixture until it won't disolve any more
wet the area with it
Hope this helps

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online