At some point, can Bullies...

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
eat once a day? We are going thru it with Ida, but last night BOTH Ida and Gertie :poo: in their crates. I'm about to strangle them both!! I did feed them earlier than I usually do last evening, but I figured that would be good. There was PLENTY of time for them to potty before bed. My husband wants to stop feeding them in the evening. We've only fed Arrow once a day for a couple years now. The girls are coming up on 7 months old, but from what I've seen on here, I think most everyone feeds their Bullies twice a day, regardless of age. Isn't that right? The girls do eat all their breakfast and all their dinner, so I think it would be hard to get them to eat all that in one feeding, but we have to do SOMETHING!! Short of leaving them outside 24/7, any suggestions are appreciated!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Good question and I feel your pain - Baby T is 7 months and he occasionally still poops in his cage but I think we have him on a pretty good schedule where he poops in the morning, at lunch, after dinner, and before bed. He still poops four times a day, which is a lot but it helps curb the messes in the crates. But yes, I feed him twice a day - and Linus too - and have always fed my bullies twice a day. I can see not wanting to because of the potty problems you're having but it really sounds like you might want to try to take them out for a short walk or something before bed to make sure they work that last poop of the night out before you crate them. Consistency in schedule, them understanding when it's time to go, and giving them some motivation (a short walk) will probably really help you out.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I agree with [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION], schedule, schedule, schedule! When I was potty training Vegas it was the same exact times every day. The last poop of the day was a walk around the block for two reasons, 1 to get his final poop in and 2 it wore him out so that he would sleep all night. Even now at a year and a half he is still on a strict schedule He eats breakfast and poops, and his dinner is exactly at 6 in the evening, he poops usually around 7, then has his final pee around 9:30 and we are all in bed at 10. I was so fortunate he has never peed or pooped in his cage since I got him at 4 months. He has NEVER pooped in the house and only peed a few times. I would say it has been almost a year since he has pottied in the house. I also believe they need to eat twice a day. His dinner as I said is 6 and at 9 he gets fruit or veggies for his final snack.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I think you might find yourself in a little more trouble if you only feed them once daily. Can you imagine how grumpy and hungry people would get if they could only eat once daily? Do you feed them at a certain time then pick up the food? I've learned that in order to keep a good poop schedule, feed them at ___am. Allow them to eat for 15 mintues. (it takes mine only 15 seconds) If there is still food in the bowl....too bad. Feed them again at ___pm. Leave the food on the floor for 15 mintues. Eventually, they will learn that when the food is on the floor, they have to eat, or they have to wait. Make sure you are not feeding them too much.
Follow the rule..what goes in, must come out. Usually within the hour, they will have to eliminate. If the poo will not come, take them on a walk. Vegas and O always poo on a walk. Also, I've heard that pets will not poo where they sleep...unless they sleep in a large delux suite. Are their kennels too big? They should be large enough to stand up and turn around. If you give them the room, :poo: happens. Do I follow all these suggestions? No. Orion has a palace for a kennel...and Vegas? We nicked named his "The Bilagio". But, I feed them on schedule and they poo on schedule.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feed twice a day, the first feeding is when I wake up. I was having the same issue as you with my two pups. So I changed the 'evening' feeding from 5-6 to about 3 in the afternoon. It seemed to help a LOT.

I think feeding once a day could also cause blood sugar levels to drop. So I would not do a once a day feeding.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Oh my.. I don't know. I can't imagine Chester going that long. Though we feed the shih tzu once per day.. he's a lot smaller.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I am feeding Bear 2x a day 8am and 4pm or a little after. I generally don't do snacks with my dogs every day and when I do its not after 7pm. As for water I give it to them up to 8pm. Bear isn't crated unless we leave the house and I've never had a problem with him going in his cage. At night he has no accidents. I take him out at 10pm and then again at 430am, when my alarm goes off for my husband. Or if he gets up in the middle of the night or whenever he gets up from a nap I take him out because I know he is gonna pee.

I can't help with the crates but its been difficult to get Bear trained properly. When i think he is done outside, he still ends up having some more. I'll take him out to pee, and we'll come in after about 10 minutes and he goes inside sometimes. its so frustrating. I have to keep an eye on him because he won't tell me when he has to go.

Good luck with Ida and Gertie, sounds like its a timing thing. than again, bullies are stubborn.

Also wanted to add that I agree to leave their feedings at 2x a day and get them on a consistent schedule. Bear would run me ragged and be miserable with one feeding, and you have 2 bullies so that would be miserable for you and them. I wouldn't change that. They are like babies and thrive on a schedule.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I didn't think feeding them once a day was a good idea (that was my husband's idea). Ida goes in her crate often, Gertie hardly ever does. But I fed them earlier than I usually do. I wonder if feeding them later they're holding it til morning? I don't feed them and then put them right to bed. They have a couple hours between dinner and their final going outside. So I don't know what their problem is.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have to feed Bella 3x day due to her enzymes and health issues. Her last feeding it at 6:30 and she will poop shortly after. The problem is with her condition, she can't go all night without the need to :poo: We don't crate her but she will wake us up to go. The size of the crate is important. Also are they close by so if they have to go you can hear them?

Good luck. I have found my bullies are much harder than any other breed I have had.

Members online

No members online now.