On the road again...

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Will be off the airways a fees days- we are heading to Ct. for the month of December- Bogey and all! We will be staying with my daughter who had a bullmastiff/ boxer mix, and he and Bogey will most likely have the place destroyed within an hour of our arrival! It will be a tough first few days I am sure!
Per a thread I
started a few days ago, Bogey has terribly red and itchy chin and ears. I am just convinced he is developing an allergy to all the freakin corn in his dog food. Not one other thing has changed except his food in the past 3 months. I have a consultation with the vet at 4 pm- I just know she is going to call me crazy and food obsessed, and insist he stay on the Hills diet. There MUST be a dog food out there that is high fiber, low fat, but not made with 90% corn. i WILL find it!! i went to a Holistic petsupplier today, and she is doing some research for me and promised to get back to me before i meet with the vet. I am at my wits end. I may have to look for a vet who has more of a holistic approach to bulldogs. wish me luck!

As we head to Ct, I ask all of you to pray for the families and first responders of the Sandy Hook tragedy. We will be staying in Danbury and Newtown, so we will witnessing first hand, the fiasco the media has already started as the 1 year anniversary approaches. My own son, who was a first responder, will be leaving town for the whole weekend. Please pray that those left behind by this horrible tragedy will be able to Get through this horrible day without the media infringing on their privacy and grief.

Time to start packing!!! I hope Bogey gets to see snow!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Have a great trip, and as far as the food goes, we feed FROMM Pork and Peas and it doesn't have corn in it, nor does any of their grain free foods.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Have a safe trip and enjoy! I'm sure your doggies will provide quite the entertainment!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Blue Buffalo has a low fat-6%, "high" fiber 7% dog food. You will have to check out the ingredients, as I don't know if it has corn I think it's called Healthy Weight.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, here is what we have come up with! Natural Balance Fat Dogs ( no kidding!) is the CLOSEST we could get to the Hills WD. Protein is26%, (WD is 19) Fat is 7.5 (WD is 8.7) Fiber is 10 (WD is 16). I can add canned pumpkin or Metamucil to add more fiber. It is a good dog food, no corn, no wheat. It does have barley and rice, but that does not bother him. Chicken and salmon are the main ingredients. In Hills WD, Corn is the main ingredient,followed by chicken by products,cornmeal and THEN chicken liver" flavor". I dont think there is real chicken in it!! It's garbage I say, garbage. Here I go!! [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]- we tried Fromm's way back- caused diarrhea. We have a very irritable bowel bully, so that's why she chose the high fiber. It's great for his bowels, but his skin is suffering. Going to give this a try.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well, here is what we have come up with! Natural Balance Fat Dogs ( no kidding!) is the CLOSEST we could get to the Hills WD. Protein is26%, (WD is 19) Fat is 7.5 (WD is 8.7) Fiber is 10 (WD is 16). I can add canned pumpkin or Metamucil to add more fiber. It is a good dog food, no corn, no wheat. It does have barley and rice, but that does not bother him. Chicken and salmon are the main ingredients. In Hills WD, Corn is the main ingredient,followed by chicken by products,cornmeal and THEN chicken liver" flavor". I dont think there is real chicken in it!! It's garbage I say, garbage. Here I go!! [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]- we tried Fromm's way back- caused diarrhea. We have a very irritable bowel bully, so that's why she chose the high fiber. It's great for his bowels, but his skin is suffering. Going to give this a try.

Sounds like a great choice [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION]

I hope you have a safe trip, hope you will check in on us while you are there! If not, we will miss you!!!!

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, the vet went for it, reluctantly, but I think she saw I was bound and determined to get him off that food! His ears are a mess- so red and irritated. It's yeast, but she refused to correlate that with the food. She said his skin looked good, and if it were a food allergy, he would have more skin issues. My response was" well, it starts somewhere, and I would rather stop it now than wait until he HAS more skin issues!" That's when she caved in and agreed. Wish me luck!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well, the vet went for it, reluctantly, but I think she saw I was bound and determined to get him off that food! His ears are a mess- so red and irritated. It's yeast, but she refused to correlate that with the food. She said his skin looked good, and if it were a food allergy, he would have more skin issues. My response was" well, it starts somewhere, and I would rather stop it now than wait until he HAS more skin issues!" That's when she caved in and agreed. Wish me luck!!

Hope I haven't missed you yet, I will miss you sooooooooo much! (did I add enough o's?)

But I know all will have an absolutely fantastic time, kiss Bogey for Cami & me :)

Sure hoping his new food will be 'the one'. Thank you for reminding us about Sandy Hook's
anniversary...YES...will be praying. Mary, I hope your son is healing, please thank him for
doing such important & difficult work...special prayers covering him & his family members.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have a safe trip Mary and gang.... hugs and prayers to your son and those in Newtown, so hope the media does not interfere too much.
Fingers crossed this is the food for Bogey.... it has to be!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] - Have a safe and fun trip!! don't forget to take lots of pictures to share with us when you get home :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.