Help!

AudraD

Nov 29, 2013
Hi there! I am new here. I have two dogs at home right now...a Chocolate Lab and an American Bulldog. I have always loved the English Bulldog and plan on getting one after my 12 year old Lab crosses the Rainbow Bridge. Hopefully, that won't be for a couple years, but I wanted to collect as much information as I could so I could make the best and most informed purchase possible. My question is this...I know that English Bulldogs can come with a lot of health problems if you do not get from a reputable breeder, but all I seem to see are horror stories on all the health issues. I am fully prepared for higher than average vet bills, but is there such thing as a "healthy" Bulldog? Is it just because people didn't get their dogs from a reputable breeder? Is every Bulldog and owner doomed?? If any of you have had a pretty healthy Bulldog, who was the breeder? I appreciate any info you can give me. I just want to make sure I am prepared! Thank you all!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is true that soooo many bulldogs have tons of health issues.

Many of these are caused by not knowing how to take care of a bulldog properly, or by poor breeding. Even worse when combining the two together!

You will also read a lot of health issues on this forum because people with healthy bulldogs do not search the internet unless they are dealing with a problem, which is how 75% or more of the members find us.

Good luck on your search, and I am glad you are doing your research, it is a great thing to be fully prepared.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I have to say that I have been really lucky with my Dudley. He's been very healthy so far...knocking wood! Dudley will be 3 years old the day after Christmas. I've had him since he was 8 weeks old...he's been fine. I do have him on grain-free food, but that's because he seemed to be having some yeast issues and changing the food has really taken care of that, so far. I know I'm lucky and I have grateful...but there are some "healthy" bullies out there...but good for you for doing your homework. Honestly, I couldn't say enough good things about this breed...they grab your heart in the first minute and they never let go!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
:welcome3: Audra, and thank you for coming to EBN !! This is an AWESOME site on the web. Lisa (Desertskybulldogs) gave you some very good information. Most Bully owners who are having problems with their Bully's come here to inquire how to fix it, or most importantly, when to stop the self help and seek a Veterinarian. Personally, I have two English Bull Dogs, and speaking only from my experience, I found EBN when I adopted my first Bully, and he would not eat. The transition of going from his former owner, Just loosing his human father, changing homes, and a slight change in food threw him into a problem in which I tried to self help him, and Finally realizing through this forum, I needed more Help. He's now adjusted to my home, environment, and a steady routine, which is important to him. After getting this help, I continued on this site, reading all I could, (Learning) because all the information given by new owners, and current owners alike only Benefitted me and my Bully. I noticed a smell coming from his snout, realizing I read something about that, and researched it here, to find yeast infections in the wrinkles. I found a simple solution of Duoxo pads a few times a day and witch hazel cured this problem. What I liked best of all is not seeking my Vets assistance, and being able to help my boy as needed, and inexpensively. Prior to owning a Bully, I had tons of experience with Cocker Spaniels, a couple of poodles, a Sheltie, and so on...... None of these other animals come close to the time and care needed for a Bully. In return none of my other dogs returned the love and affection anywhere close to what my Bully does, were talking different personalities all together, and the phrase I read most on this site, is "after owning a Bully, I'll never own another breed." This web site, made possible by DertskyBulldogs has been a God Send to us Bully Owners. The breeders whom breed from home, who don't do proper research such as know a Bully's Health History, and throw two Bully's together to mate, have puppies and want to make big money are the breeders this site tries to discourage potential owners away from, this and puppy farms. There are some very reputable breeders in the USA, a few right on this very site, and they Breed their dogs to better the breed! The new owners of these said puppies appear on here only to reference care and upkeep of their babies, Rarely do you ever see one of those owners asking for health about health problems. Audra, the problem in the Nut Shell is American Ambition, Lack of Care, and seeking after the dollar, and if it hurts you and your family, so be it...... Good Breeders stay in touch with the new owners, and you see the new owners calling them for advice, and suggestions. The backyard breeder, and puppy farms sell the dogs, and could care less about you or the puppy after receiving their money. You've definitely made the right step coming here, and hopefully I've answered in detail about the health problems, a Bully's love, Backyard Breeders, Puppy Farms, and reputable breeders. The last thing I want to toss out to you is this, English Bulldogs are known for Allergies, Some foods they eat disagree with them, Some cause hair to fall out, Bad Yeast infections, Face breakouts etc....... Again a very simple solution, There are those dog food companies out there that scientifically make their foods to better the breed, and then those out there that make food much to what I compare to "Junk Food" like you eating at McDonalds everyday, It's not healthy, doesn't have a Nutritious Value for your baby, but is cheap, and provides plenty of fillers in them, Mostly causing many problems within the breed, Diarrhea being one, Pooping several times a day loose stool, complicating potty training and the list goes on. Veterinarians LOVE to push science diet at you, and they should, for the kickbacks $$$ they get in return, Royal Canine runs a scam of making a "Z" shaped Kibble, to help your Bully easier eat the kibble in his/her bowl, and is no more nutritious than eating say "Taco Bell" everyday, but everyone of the dog food companies are looking for ways to better market their product, We as Owners have to seek out food which best fits our breed, is best Nutrition for them, but also something they will eat, On this site you'll find a Dog Food Ratings page, It rates the food by stars of what the best foods are on the market for Dogs, and from that list we find the one our dogs will eat the best. Changing foods is a big deal for our Bully's as well, We can't put one kind of food down that morning, say their not eating it very well, and throw a new blend down that evening, whoaaaa, That will mess their tummy's up Fast, and will more times than none cost you a Vet visit to get a medicine prescribed to sooth their tummy. Having a good place to ask questions such as EBN, is the best support group you can find, The members of this board will work tirelessly to research and give the best advice possible for you and your baby. And for this one reason, I say You've come to the best place on the internet to learn about this breed (EBN) We love our Bully's here, and only seek to help new owners, and share good information, different ideas around full circle, we all learn from here daily, and even share something helpful time to time. I'll look foreword to seeing you around on the site, Please check out the Help Articles, theirs tons of great information in there, great questions, and answers....... You'll definitely like it here, and your New Bully will definitely prosper from what you learn here. Welcome aboard again!! :yes:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well said, Casper! It IS scary when you read about the problems-but it IS because of the information-not to terrify! The more informed prospective "bullie parent" will be a GOOD "bullie parent"!

OP
AudraD

AudraD

Nov 29, 2013
Thank you everyone for the response! Casper, wow! Great information! Where did you all get your bullies from? My American Bulldog has a very sensitive stomach, just like you had mentioned. I have never changed her food because of this....had a bad experience as a pup! Yikes!! She also has skin issues. She gets seasonal alopecia, talk about shedding, and goes bald in spots. So, I am familiar with some of those problems. I can deal with those... ;-). I just want to make sure I buy from someone who knows what they are doing. I live in Wisconsin, I haven't found any good breeders here but see there are a few in Illinois, in the Roscoe and Chicago are. Anybody know anything about these breeders?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Like others have said most problems are caused by not feeding a good quality food or by bad breeding. We have been blessed with healthy bullies and don't have any major health issues by them.

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnum (EB), Delta (EB), Gracie (EB), Zoey (FB), Pebbles (FB), Prada (FB)
Hi there! I am new here. I have two dogs at home right now...a Chocolate Lab and an American Bulldog. I have always loved the English Bulldog and plan on getting one after my 12 year old Lab crosses the Rainbow Bridge. Hopefully, that won't be for a couple years, but I wanted to collect as much information as I could so I could make the best and most informed purchase possible. My question is this...I know that English Bulldogs can come with a lot of health problems if you do not get from a reputable breeder, but all I seem to see are horror stories on all the health issues. I am fully prepared for higher than average vet bills, but is there such thing as a "healthy" Bulldog? Is it just because people didn't get their dogs from a reputable breeder? Is every Bulldog and owner doomed?? If any of you have had a pretty healthy Bulldog, who was the breeder? I appreciate any info you can give me. I just want to make sure I am prepared! Thank you all!

Hi and welcome! We got our first bully in February and I must say it has been a blessing and I am always learning new things. I would recommend if you find a breeder ask a lot of questions about the parent's health. Maybe even the vet who has been taking care of their bullies. My Gordo has grass allergies and we are still trying to handle it and pin pointing what exactly the issue is. Just do research and of course this wevsite has tons of amazing people to ask.

♡Blessed♥

OP
AudraD

AudraD

Nov 29, 2013
That is so great to hear! I was starting to get discouraged thinking that every Bullie is just doomed to have an awful life with tons of problems. So happy to hear that there are healthy ones out there!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Thank you everyone for the response! Casper, wow! Great information! Where did you all get your bullies from? My American Bulldog has a very sensitive stomach, just like you had mentioned. I have never changed her food because of this....had a bad experience as a pup! Yikes!! She also has skin issues. She gets seasonal alopecia, talk about shedding, and goes bald in spots. So, I am familiar with some of those problems. I can deal with those... ;-). I just want to make sure I buy from someone who knows what they are doing. I live in Wisconsin, I haven't found any good breeders here but see there are a few in Illinois, in the Roscoe and Chicago are. Anybody know anything about these breeders?
Hey Audra, and Thank You for the compliment. My first Bully (Rocky) came from New Orleans, I have no clue who the breeder was. He was on a bucket list a man once had, and shortly after making the aquisition, was diagnosed with Terminal Cancer. I seen his wife one Sunday at worship service, and it had gotten to the point Rocky was so rambunctious, and playful, his Father could no longer rest, with Rocky's constant attention cycle. I came to their house the following week, to see if Rocky and I would even get along, Rocky ran straight to me, and as I knelt down on my knees, jumped up with a paw on each shoulder, and his head against my neck, We instantly connected...... I never changed his name, did nothing to confuse him, and we are best friends. Lucky for me I found EBN....... and started absorbing all the information I could, then in time learning who the breeders were, asked them tons of questions, and they had tons of great information, as I said, This web site has been a God Send for so many of us.My second Bully was a rescue from Orlando FL. He was 8 months old, and a struggling family had to part with him in a move, Not wanting to surrender him (Rambo) to an inexperienced Bully Owner, nor to the SPCA, through the help of a Florida Moderator, He was picked up and brought to Jacksonville, just as the move was taking place. Rambo was 8 months old, Very Sassy, but loving. I had to wait a week, but then traveled to Live Oak FL where we met, and Rambo was there ready to travel. Rambo was born in Miami, but sold to a Family in Orlando, Other than that, I don't know much else about the breeder, However the former parents check in here time to time, to see pictures, hear updates, and We have an open line of communication. Rambo is a terrific example of a second child, You know if you had the bad one first, you would have never had the second one lol, That's Rambo. Again, I didn't change his name, but now have a Rocky and Rambo, so the nickname [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] gave them was the Stallone Brothers, Others call them the Sly Brothers, myself, I call them my boys. As [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] mentioned, I feed them both a high quality diet, "Wilderness, Blue Buffalo, Salmon and Potatoes" they both love it, and the food along with keeping their folds clean, tail pockets cleaned, good amount of exercise, mixed with regular car rides, and Pet visits is about the way I have treated my two boys. I introduced them on neutural ground, very important, and let them get aquanted, The next day on, they sleep touching one another, playing together for hours, only to seperate and jump into my lap for attention and love. I've been very fortunate with both of my boys, given the circumstances from which they were aquired, They've only been to the vet for checkups and shots, knock on wood. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.