Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: To wait or not to wait...

  1. #1
    Dog Park Attendant luvmybully's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    401
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default To wait or not to wait...

    Tucker's testies have not descended and his cherry eye isn't better, but I want to wait to do both surgeries at the same time. Am I waiting for nothing, the vet makes it seam like it's not a big deal.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LynnA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,370
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: To wait or not to wait...

    My vet wanted to wait to do both at same time and I agreed.....his other eye could come out too and then you would have only had the one fixed. Can it be massaged back in or does it just stay out all the time now?
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

  3. #3
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    brutus77's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    6,962
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)
    2795

    Default Re: To wait or not to wait...

    How long does the vet think it will take for his testies to come down? The longer a cherry eye is left out the drier and bigger it could get. It may be able to be tucked if done right away. If it gets to large it might not be able to be tucked and will have to be removed completely. It does not look too bad from the picture above so hopefully you will be able to do them together. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: To wait or not to wait...

    Which one is not a big deal? The sherry eye won't get better by it self, unfortunately. If you were planning on neutering anyway, it can be done from about 5-6 months on. Like Brutus77 said it doesn't do good to the sherry eye to wait for a long time. The other can pop out too, but then again it might not. In my oponion the eye should be fixed, his testicles can wait, if needed.

  5. #5
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,642
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2122

    Default Re: To wait or not to wait...

    I agree with Lynn and Rosalie's comments. How old is Tucker? My female Blossom developed cherry eye in her left eye, at 5 months of age, we were able to massage it in for a little while, but it always came back out, especially after running around or playing. We discussed this with our vet, and decided to wait until we had her spayed, which we did when she was 7 months old. Unfortunately her other eye popped out a week after her surgeries, and we did a second surgery a month later to repair the right eye. The second surgery actually cost more then the first two surgeries together because she had to be put under anesthetic again, IV fluids, and medications. The spay and eye surgery together cost $850, and the second cherry eye surgery by itself cost $980, so if you can wait and do everything together, you'll save money and the risk of putting Tucker under anesthetic twice will be reduced. There is a high incidence of the other eye coming out as well, so if you can wait, then you can see if the other one also pops out. We used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the drugstore, on Blossoms eye to help keep it moist while we waited for the surgery.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  6. #6
    Dog Park Attendant luvmybully's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    401
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: To wait or not to wait...

    I have the medicated drops for the eye, vet tried to "feel" for the testi and said maybe she could feel 1. T man is 7 months old, the vet made it sound like going in to get the testi and neuter is not uncommon, and reassured me they have a good anesthesiologist for bullies, but I still would like to wait to see if they'll drop on their own, Tucker is humping like a rabbit right now!

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •