To wait or not to wait...

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Tucker's testies have not descended and his cherry eye isn't better, but I want to wait to do both surgeries at the same time. Am I waiting for nothing, the vet makes it seam like it's not a big deal.
enygadys.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
My vet wanted to wait to do both at same time and I agreed.....his other eye could come out too and then you would have only had the one fixed. Can it be massaged back in or does it just stay out all the time now?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
How long does the vet think it will take for his testies to come down? The longer a cherry eye is left out the drier and bigger it could get. It may be able to be tucked if done right away. If it gets to large it might not be able to be tucked and will have to be removed completely. It does not look too bad from the picture above so hopefully you will be able to do them together. Good luck.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Which one is not a big deal? The sherry eye won't get better by it self, unfortunately. If you were planning on neutering anyway, it can be done from about 5-6 months on. Like Brutus77 said it doesn't do good to the sherry eye to wait for a long time. The other can pop out too, but then again it might not. In my oponion the eye should be fixed, his testicles can wait, if needed.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Lynn and Rosalie's comments. How old is Tucker? My female Blossom developed cherry eye in her left eye, at 5 months of age, we were able to massage it in for a little while, but it always came back out, especially after running around or playing. We discussed this with our vet, and decided to wait until we had her spayed, which we did when she was 7 months old. Unfortunately her other eye popped out a week after her surgeries, and we did a second surgery a month later to repair the right eye. The second surgery actually cost more then the first two surgeries together because she had to be put under anesthetic again, IV fluids, and medications. The spay and eye surgery together cost $850, and the second cherry eye surgery by itself cost $980, so if you can wait and do everything together, you'll save money and the risk of putting Tucker under anesthetic twice will be reduced. There is a high incidence of the other eye coming out as well, so if you can wait, then you can see if the other one also pops out. We used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the drugstore, on Blossoms eye to help keep it moist while we waited for the surgery.

OP
luvmybully

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I have the medicated drops for the eye, vet tried to "feel" for the testi and said maybe she could feel 1. T man is 7 months old, the vet made it sound like going in to get the testi and neuter is not uncommon, and reassured me they have a good anesthesiologist for bullies, but I still would like to wait to see if they'll drop on their own, Tucker is humping like a rabbit right now!

Staff online

Members online