Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Default Here we go again..... HELP!

I just want to cry. Anyone who has been on this site since we took our furball home, knows the ZILLIONS of threads I started on Bogeys digestive issues. We had him on grain free from day one, tried all kinds of GOOD foods, home cooking, all with the same results- soft serve to diarrhea as the day wore on. My vet insisted I try HIlls Science WD( it is prescription Glucose / Weight management) it is high fiber ( 14%) low fat, low protein. I kicked and screamed when he was put on it, but miraculously, his stool firmed up immediately!! So, I stuck it out. It is corn and chicken based. Well, here we are 2 months later, and Bogey slowly developed a very red chin, now it actually has a sore. The past week, he has been scratching a lot in both ears, which are mildly pink. He is constantly rubbing his chin on our carpet, and he is starting to have an odor about him- not quite fritz smell, but close. Where do I go from here! I was interested in the Fresh Food from Florida that Baxtertiberuis is on, but it has Salmon oil, and that was pure misery for Bogey when we tried that. I am at my wits end here. Vet insists he needs high fiber low fat. I am thinking trying a grain free weight management ( because it will be low fat) and adding Metamucil for the fiber. Any thoughts out there?
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Here we go again..... HELP!

Good morning!
    I have not been on in awhile due to college so I am unfamiliar with the food issue with your boy Bogey (love the name, btw).
    I know Momo gets a bump everyonce in awhile on her chin and my boxer did, too. I've learned over time that it can come from plastic bowls (so I stopped using them) and/or metal bowls that aren't changed often enough. In no way am I saying you feed Bogey out of dirty bowls. I'm just sharing what I've experienced over the years. Is it possible that his ear problems could be allergy related?

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    Good morning!
    I have not been on in awhile due to college so I am unfamiliar with the food issue with your boy Bogey (love the name, btw).
    I know Momo gets a bump everyonce in awhile on her chin and my boxer did, too. I've learned over time that it can come from plastic bowls (so I stopped using them) and/or metal bowls that aren't changed often enough. In no way am I saying you feed Bogey out of dirty bowls. I'm just sharing what I've experienced over the years. Is it possible that his ear problems could be allergy related?

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I use metal bowls that are dishwasher washed daily. ( No offense taken, I am looking for answers). I agree that the ear thing is allergy related, but don't we look to the food source first when nothing else has changed? He went through the whole summer with no problems. Unless it is fall allergies. It's jsut that I had a bullmastiff who suffered severely the last 2 years of his life with ear problems that startedjust like this, because I did not know enough about grains and dog foods, and neither did my vet. She kept telling me it was yeast, but could offer no advice on how to treat it. Just looking for another avenue to try.Thanks
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

oh man Mary I'm sorry little Bogey is having such a difficult time wish I had some awesomely magical cure or answer but I've got nuttin ... just wanted to give you a and say hang in there and I hope things get better soon!!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Do they make the fresh food that Baxter is on without the salmon oil? maybe look into something like that? I hope you find the answers.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

I personally would have an allergy test done (I apologize if in other threads you have already had done) again, personally I would not switch his food if his stools have firmed up because that is oh so important. Do you give him a benedryl at all for the redness in his chin - I would suggest doing that to see if it helps. Really until you zero in on what the culprit is to his allergies food wise your just changing to change. He also could be getting this due to enviormental allergies and it is not related to food at all. Keep a close eye on the ears and ensure they get cleaned.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Have you considered raw food? Dogs are carnivours, not corn-ivours. Their primary source of energy is fat and it's the Hill's crap what's doing this to him.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Have you thought about asking the Fresh Food place if they have any without salmon oil? won't hurt to ask, right?

I also tagged Lisa and Blueberrys Mom to see if they have any ideas on a good kibble
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I know how far back this goes and all you've tried...I'm so sorry, Mary.
    Dealing with it in reality is so darned difficult & sad than in the abstract.
    Will be trying to think of any thing to help, am brain dead right now.
    Much love & renewing prayers for answers to be shown you, Hugs <3

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Remove Ads