Here we go again..... HELP!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I just want to cry. Anyone who has been on this site since we took our furball home, knows the ZILLIONS of threads I started on Bogeys digestive issues. We had him on grain free from day one, tried all kinds of GOOD foods, home cooking, all with the same results- soft serve to diarrhea as the day wore on. My vet insisted I try HIlls Science WD( it is prescription Glucose / Weight management) it is high fiber ( 14%) low fat, low protein. I kicked and screamed when he was put on it, but miraculously, his stool firmed up immediately!! So, I stuck it out. It is corn and chicken based. Well, here we are 2 months later, and Bogey slowly developed a very red chin, now it actually has a sore. The past week, he has been scratching a lot in both ears, which are mildly pink. He is constantly rubbing his chin on our carpet, and he is starting to have an odor about him- not quite fritz smell, but close. Where do I go from here! I was interested in the Fresh Food from Florida that Baxtertiberuis is on, but it has Salmon oil, and that was pure misery for Bogey when we tried that. I am at my wits end here. Vet insists he needs high fiber low fat. I am thinking trying a grain free weight management ( because it will be low fat) and adding Metamucil for the fiber. Any thoughts out there?

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Good morning!
I have not been on in awhile due to college so I am unfamiliar with the food issue with your boy Bogey (love the name, btw).
I know Momo gets a bump everyonce in awhile on her chin and my boxer did, too. I've learned over time that it can come from plastic bowls (so I stopped using them) and/or metal bowls that aren't changed often enough. In no way am I saying you feed Bogey out of dirty bowls. I'm just sharing what I've experienced over the years. Is it possible that his ear problems could be allergy related?

Hope this helps. Good luck.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Good morning!
I have not been on in awhile due to college so I am unfamiliar with the food issue with your boy Bogey (love the name, btw).
I know Momo gets a bump everyonce in awhile on her chin and my boxer did, too. I've learned over time that it can come from plastic bowls (so I stopped using them) and/or metal bowls that aren't changed often enough. In no way am I saying you feed Bogey out of dirty bowls. I'm just sharing what I've experienced over the years. Is it possible that his ear problems could be allergy related?

Hope this helps. Good luck.
I use metal bowls that are dishwasher washed daily. ( No offense taken, I am looking for answers). I agree that the ear thing is allergy related, but don't we look to the food source first when nothing else has changed? He went through the whole summer with no problems. Unless it is fall allergies. It's jsut that I had a bullmastiff who suffered severely the last 2 years of his life with ear problems that startedjust like this, because I did not know enough about grains and dog foods, and neither did my vet. She kept telling me it was yeast, but could offer no advice on how to treat it. Just looking for another avenue to try.Thanks

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
oh man Mary I'm sorry little Bogey is having such a difficult time :( wish I had some awesomely magical cure or answer but I've got nuttin :confused: ... just wanted to give you a :hug: and say hang in there and I hope things get better soon!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Do they make the fresh food that Baxter is on without the salmon oil? maybe look into something like that? I hope you find the answers.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I personally would have an allergy test done (I apologize if in other threads you have already had done) again, personally I would not switch his food if his stools have firmed up because that is oh so important. Do you give him a benedryl at all for the redness in his chin - I would suggest doing that to see if it helps. Really until you zero in on what the culprit is to his allergies food wise your just changing to change. He also could be getting this due to enviormental allergies and it is not related to food at all. Keep a close eye on the ears and ensure they get cleaned.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Have you considered raw food? Dogs are carnivours, not corn-ivours. Their primary source of energy is fat and it's the Hill's crap what's doing this to him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you thought about asking the Fresh Food place if they have any without salmon oil? won't hurt to ask, right?

I also tagged Lisa and Blueberrys Mom to see if they have any ideas on a good kibble

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I know how far back this goes and all you've tried...I'm so sorry, Mary.
Dealing with it in reality is so darned difficult & sad than in the abstract.
Will be trying to think of any thing to help, am brain dead right now.
Much love & renewing prayers for answers to be shown you, Hugs <3

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online