Tapeworms??

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Hooey is on Trifexis, so he is supposedly protected against all parasites except for tapeworms. For the past few days, there has been these little white rice looking things on his poop. Ill post a picture, sorry guys! Has anyone ever seen tapeworms & have a clue if this is it or not? He has a little bit of frank red bleeding in his stool as well. I was told if it is tapeworms, the white things on the poop will still be alive & move around & hooeys does not. It looks like white lemon pulp or something.. Any help would be appreciated!

2ure7uzy.jpg

And him giving me the stink eye this morning ;)
anynehyq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Oh & I got food grade diatomaceous earth from my pet nutritionist & have been feeding him that daily.. So if they don't clear up within a few more days he will be going to the vet!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, those are tapeworm segments. I have had a dog with tapes, but didn't see blood in the stools. I have never used Trifexis-maybe it kills the tapes? I also thought that Trifexis is not safe....someone who can tell you will be here. Look up the thread about hw and wormers....

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, those are tapeworm segments. I have had a dog with tapes, but didn't see blood in the stools. I have never used Trifexis-maybe it kills the tapes? I also thought that Trifexis is not safe....someone who can tell you will be here. Look up the thread about hw and wormers....

I'm agreeing with Lynn...TRIFEXIS is not safe, so much so, they are marketing
i
t under another name (can't think of it right now) hopefully others will know.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Those are tapeworm segments. I use food grade DE for my bully & cat.
Good luck & let us know about Hooch (love his name) Handsome boy <3

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
I recently did the research on trifexis.. Of course AFTER I have him this months pill. We will be going another route for heartworms/fleas from now on. Thank y'all.. I figured it was tapeworms. Hopefully the DE will get rid of them. Do you know it's gone when the segments stop coming out with the stool or will you see a longer part which is the "base" of the worm?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
usually all you ever see are the segments....

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hooey is on Trifexis, so he is supposedly protected against all parasites except for tapeworms. For the past few days, there has been these little white rice looking things on his poop. Ill post a picture, sorry guys! Has anyone ever seen tapeworms & have a clue if this is it or not? He has a little bit of frank red bleeding in his stool as well. I was told if it is tapeworms, the white things on the poop will still be alive & move around & hooeys does not. It looks like white lemon pulp or something.. Any help would be appreciated! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen this in one of mine poo also. I called my Vet, and went by for a pill treatment, The pill was pretty expensive, If I remember correctly $35.00, but then at the end of 30 Days, you repeat the dose again. I was told by my vet, that because Rocky got an infected flea on him, that he ate the flea, and the worms were the outcome of the infected flea. After his 2 pill treatment, it cleared right up and went away.I'm not sure if you have Facebook, but if you do, try a search on the Trifexis, The results from the page, FORMER Pet owners is unreal. There's safer heartworm medications on the market, and other flea preventatives rather than taking a chance and losing your baby. Those who have Bully's and other dogs still around, say they have no problem with it, To me it's flirting with disaster, and I refuse to give it to my Bully's. My vet screams its safe, even asked me to call the folks at Trifexis, LMAO, what are they going to tell me bad about a product their pushing for sales??? and my Vet for pushing it, I'm in the market for a new Vet. I love my Bully's, not saying that you don't yours, Just saying get well informed before making a life changing change in their interest. Not saying it affects them all, I'm just saying I don't want to be that statistic. :)

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
I absolutely agree with you.. We got nothing but good reviews on trifexis from our vet of course. I had no idea it was harmful for dogs until one of my friends told me to look at the reviews & stories and of course all the things the vet doesn't tell you! This month was definitely Hooeys last month to take it. I couldn't imagine life without him, def not worth taking the chance!

Annabella

May 16, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella
Annabella is on Trifexis also....what do you use instead? I know I've asked this before and I am very concerned that the vet would lie.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my goodness, PLEASE take your dogs off TRIFEXIS!!! It's been all over FB & the internet...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would have the poo tested at the vet and be sure you are treating for the correct type of worm... a dewormer is a little costly, but will worth it.

We use Sentinel... have for years without any issues

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online