Travel with bulldog question

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Hey ya'll...I know I haven't been on the website a lot lately. Between school and well, school, I'm super busy.
I will be back on I promise.

In the mean time...and I don't normally post something without reading others general posts and catching up but I don't have time to do that right now. We are in Tennessee to honor Pat Summitt who had a plaza dedicated to her Friday and we stayed for a game today.

Here's my question...

Momo is an excellent travel dog. She *loves* going on rides. Mona will be 6 in February (where does the time go?) and with the past few out of town trips we've taken where we spend the night or several nights in a hotel, we've noticed that Momo won't really eat or drink much. At first it was just the first day but with this trip it was two days. She has been pooping and peeing fine, she's been her usual self except for the eating and drinking.

When she goes in for her shots we are going to ask the vet but thought we'd ask for opinions here first.

Thanks everyone!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When ever I have taken my dogs on a trip, they will not drink in the car, at all. When we arrive at our destination, they drink a little, of water I have brought with me. If you didn't bring water from home-it could be the difference in the water. Mine just don't drink much, until they get used to being in a different place. You could buy a can of broth, and mix a little with some water-she might drink that. One of my dogs won't eat for days,if we go on a trip-usually to relatives in Md.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hey Carmin!! Good to see you posting --- sorry life is so busy, but we all get that now and again. Glad all is well.

Momo is being a bully --- OCD, she will eat when she gets hungry enogh

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Thanks a bunch, ya'll! We were ok with it the first few years we'd go on vacation with her but with this past time changing from one day to two, I just wasn't sure. She'll drink from a water bottle with the nipple on it (taught by her breeders, one of the many things we love about them) while on the road and we usually give her bottled water in her drinking bowl, not from the tap, while on vacation.

The broth and water idea was great! I'll store that away in my memory for later use if needed.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thanks for the sweet welcome back! I will be starting classes for my bachelors degree Jan 7th. Whew
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] are you a UofT fan?

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Yep, Bogey does similar things with long car rides. He works it out!
BTW.... LOVE Pat Summit. Classy lady, great coach. And this from a Ct. native and die hard Husky fan, but she is one heck of a coach and had an unbelievable program! Loved the rivalry with Lady Vols and Lady Huskies ( not to mention the coaching rivalry). She deserves a Plaza named after her. Heck, she should have the whole town named after her! Have fun!!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
sounds like a bully being a bully ... the good thing is, dogs won't let themselves starve they eat when they get hungry enough. Maybe offer little meals a few times throughout the day, sometimes that helps. Good luck!!!

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] I'll post pics that I took at the dedication. It was well worth the 10 hour drive one way to be there, to say I was elated and honored to be there is an understatement. I bleed black and red (DAWG nation) but admire Pat Summitt for all she's been able to accomplish and wish her only the best during this next challenging journey ahead with her dx of early on set dementia. I was telling Linnet I really don't feel like the town appreciates her the way they should, maybe only outsiders are able to do this? I totally agree with you, the entire town should be renamed, not just the corner on a street. God bless this woman, she is one of my hero's.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
are you a UofT fan? by bluesteelap>>
I am not a sports fan-although I do think Pat Summit is a wonderful person-and coach! I know the locals LOVE her-you may be right-they've all grown up with her here
and don't realize how special she REALLY is. I'll be you passed within 30 miles of my place-I could have baby sat your girl for ya'! Though she might not have liked my "wild bunch!" AND, I used to even live in N.J.(or should I have kept THAT secret?!)

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] What part of Tennessee do you live in?
No, I am not a UoT fan at all, but I look beyond my love of UGA to realize how amazing Pat Summitt is. No matter what team you support you gotta love Pat. My partner is a bigger Pat Summitt fan than I am and she loves the Lady Vols because of Pat. I love UGA because I'm from Atlanta.
We will keep the NJ statement between us, ok?LOL
What part of NJ did you live in?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I lived in Beachwood, and then Toms River. When I lived there, it was summer "resort' town. We were at Seaside Heights after the tourists left!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey ya'll...I know I haven't been on the website a lot lately. Between school and well, school, I'm super busy.
I will be back on I promise.

In the mean time...and I don't normally post something without reading others general posts and catching up but I don't have time to do that right now. We are in Tennessee to honor Pat Summitt who had a plaza dedicated to her Friday and we stayed for a game today.

Here's my question...

Momo is an excellent travel dog. She *loves* going on rides. Mona will be 6 in February (where does the time go?) and with the past few out of town trips we've taken where we spend the night or several nights in a hotel, we've noticed that Momo won't really eat or drink much. At first it was just the first day but with this trip it was two days. She has been pooping and peeing fine, she's been her usual self except for the eating and drinking.

When she goes in for her shots we are going to ask the vet but thought we'd ask for opinions here first.

Thanks everyone!

Guessing my boys are different, I've taken them on short trips and long trips, with no problem. I keep for them bottled water, stored on ice in an ice chest. approx every 2 hrs, I stop at a rest area, allow them water and a walk, they do very well. In the extreme 100+ degree temperature, stopping at pet smart and running errands with them, I have them both trained to drink directly from the water bottle, then walk them when home. I never use water outside of my home unless using bottled water. If I'm staying out of town, I will buy several gallons of water, chill it and use it as needed. My boys have never given me a problem in either the eating or drinking part of travel, They are nervous about staying at new places until they get use to the room, such as a motel etc... strange noises drive them crazy. Also while in the car, I keep them both seat belt restrained with a pet safety restraint I ordered from amazon. They love to stand and look out the windows, a quick tap of the brakes could be harmful, so restraining them for travel for me is a must in my mind. Hope this helps :yes:

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] by "tourist" you must mean "shoebees" - hahahaha I know where Toms River is and I know where seaside heights is but I've never heard of beachwood.
[MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION] - we pretty much do what you've described except without the ice chest. I didn't want to bore everyone with my travel details. I also think I missed the main point of my question (I have a habit of thinking stuff in my head and not conveying it!)
Travel routine: stop about every 2 to 3 hours for everyone to have a potty break. She will shake like a leaf on a windy day before I pull her out of the back seat inorder to pick her up and put her on the ground but once outside of the car she doesn't shake anymore. She does her business, walks around a bit, and then I pick her up to put her back in the back seat area. She has access to food and toys at all time. We give her water, as mentioned earlier, from a water bottle with a nipple on it. We get to the hotel, let her walk around a bit and then bring her into the room with us. She stays on the bed with us while we are in the room, with full access to water and food in bowls that are on top of her crate so she can get to them easily. She only goes in her crate when we leave the room and has her food/water bowls and a blanket in the crate with her. That's probably more information than anyone wanted to know...and now I'm off to study for a math test.

My main question was, with this change in Mona going from 1 day to adjust to 2, could it be a sign that its harder on her to travel? She will be 6 in February so maybe she's telling us to slow down?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey, the older we get-the more confusing it is, when our routine i s changed!!:grammy:two days is a flash!! P.S. Beachwood is near Toms River-IF it's still there!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online