Concerned owner ...

Jcervantez95

Nov 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat pat
Hello,
I just recently got my bulldog puppy and the past couple of days he has not threw up until today he is 9 weeks and after I took him out the kennel to clean it he went straight for his food and water and was running around like nothing. Yesterday since I was at work he only ate once and very little after I got off than I put him to bed. Do you think I should be concerned?

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Puppies tend to throw up at times, but you really need to rule out that he may have eaten something he shouldn't have. I saw that you said he only ate once yesterday because you were at work. Puppies that age need to be fed 3-4 times a day. He is too young to have twice a day meals. Maybe you are giving him too much at one time- that will cause vomiting for sure. A pup that age should never be crated more than a few hours at a time. His total intake for the day should be spread out, and he should not be romping around right after eating- that will cause some vomiting also. A nice stroll right after eating will help him digest. Hope this helped.
If the vomiting continues, or he starts refusing his food, definitely a trip to the vet is warranted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Mary gave you great info... give that a go and let us know how he is doing

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Mary and Christine gave you great advice already, hopefully your puppy didn't eat something or an object that you don't know about, sometimes vomiting is the first sign of an obstruction. My male Dozer eats socks and has vomiting, diarrhea and drooling from this, he's always been able to pass them so far, but it can take a few days to do so. They will eat, drink and poop normally, and then start to vomit or get diarrhea.

My Dozer also vomited one day because I had fed him first, and then took him out for a walk right after, and this caused him to throw up his food. I usually take my two guys out for a walk first thing in the morning at 6:00am, to do their duties, and then I will feed them at 6:30, and then I crate them after eating, and they usually go back to sleep for a little while, this ensures that's their tummies are settled after eating. A puppy will sometimes throw up if he's been excited, or after playing, they will often pee or have an accident on the floor after being excited or playing as well. It's always a good idea to take your puppy outside to go pee or poop before playing.

Mary also gave you good advice regarding feeding your puppy, a puppy should be fed 3 equal meals 3 times a day, usually around 3/4 of a cup to 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, until they are 6 to 7 months of age, and then you reduce the feedings to twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening. One feeding a day is not enough nutrition for a puppy, and by giving to much all at once, it's too much for their tummy, and will cause vomiting.

Re: Potty Training Tips...

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents
Throughout the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am
When they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this is a temporary phase and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5 months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He is awfully young to be missing ANY meal. That alone would be cause for concern. I think I would take him to the vet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.