question for those who have rescued

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I've not kept secret that we have been looking for a rescue, we found a sweet little frenchie and are planning to meet her this weekend! I am so excited but nervous can yall advise on things to keep an eye out for during the meeting? I have been reading up on frenchie care (thanks fbn) but have never rescued before, and I just wanna know what to look for to make sure she is a good fit for our 'pack' and that shes a healthy girl that will be with us for many years to come!
Thanks in advance!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I've not kept secret that we have been looking for a rescue, we found a sweet little frenchie and are planning to meet her this weekend! I am so excited but nervous can yall advise on things to keep an eye out for during the meeting? I have been reading up on frenchie care (thanks fbn) but have never rescued before, and I just wanna know what to look for to make sure she is a good fit for our 'pack' and that shes a healthy girl that will be with us for many years to come!
Thanks in advance!
That's so great!!! I hope it all works out with your new little frenchie. When we rescued Ruthie there were tons of things I noticed. She was very, very dirty, had a yeast infection on her belly, folds were nasty, ears full of gunk, she was stinky, yeast infections on her feet, but she was happy. Notice how they live whoever is running the rescue. The lady we got ruthie from wouldn't let me go into her house to use her bathroom, I almost peed my pants..LOL. When we left we just put it together that she was dirty and the rescue she was running was dirty too. She wouldn't let us even see where Ruthie was living, which is kinda sad cause she came from a puppy mill and into that rescue. Also, get paperwork stating everything with the frenchie, is she spayed/neutered, history of her, vet appts, shots...etc. Our rescued claimed, and even had on her paperwork that she was spayed...she wasn't. I had to hire a lawyer after round and round with the woman I finally got her to pay for half the spay. It was a complete nightmare but, in the end we have Ruthie and we take very good care of her. That was just my experience and I would rescue again even though the first time was terrible. I hope it all works out for you!!!!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have rescued many, many Great Danes but my objective was a little different. I rescued them from really bad situations, worked with them and then found homes for them. Some of them were with me for so long I kept them and they became perminent because the conditions they came from were so horrible and it took so much work to get them to trust me by that time they were already a full part of my life and I couldn't bare to lose them. So, what I looked for with them was a committed home, willing to go the distance through the good and the bad. They had to trust whoever I was going to place them with and that meant several visits to their location over a period of time to determine if the family and the Dane were the right fit for each other. It was never a one time meet and greet; it took many visits both at my location and the future families location. Several opted out after just a few visits; especially the first time a 150 pound monster decides to take over the sofa, bed or chair. I always laughed but some folks weren't ready for that large of a commitment. So, I would recommend taking your time, meet the future family member, have a visit with the present vet and see what if any issues are on the horizon, spend some time with that puppy to make sure it is right for all of you. I had to take a few rescues back over the years and once I found a home and had to take them back for whatever reason they were never re-homed again. Those too lived out their life with me because I didn't feel it was fair to bounce them from home to home. All my Danes lived to be 13+ years but now we have Bulldogs. I do miss rescue; the love and commitment you receive from them is undescribable. Good luck on your decision but just remember while you will be changing that puppies life forever it too will be changing yours forever too. Good luck to you, your family, and the new family member!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
First off, bless you for wanting to adopt. You will love the little Frenchie. I would ask the person who has her, how is she with other bullies, is she hyper, as some Frenchies are very hyper and can drive you nuts. Is she healthy, any allergies, skin problems, how are her hips, and so on. See how she reacts to you. She should be very friendly as Frenchies love people. See how she reacts to your bully. Do they play well together. Ask them if she has any bad habits. Some can be worked on, but some are just hard wired in. You will love a Frenchie, I know we do, and I wish I would have gotten a Frenchie long age. Good luck and as always, we want picks.

OP
truffle shuffle

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I know a little about her, she was saved from a puppy mill bust, has been fostered for almost 2 moths. Webpage says shes only 1 so I'm hoping she wont reject training too much, potty training is still a work in process, and she'll need basic ob training (expected anyway)foster also has boxers, claims they get along with a little rough play. They did say she is higher energy, but I have no idea how much. Do many rescues allow more than 1 visit? Is it unreasonable to request a few visits?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I would ask for as many as it takes for you to get an idea of whether she will fit with your family. With Mabel it was love at first sight, but I didn't have other dogs at home. We had a lot of the same issues that [MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] mentioned, but Mabel is doing much much, better!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh I'm so excited for you… I would LOVE to adopt a Frenchie, my brother has one and he's adorable!!! Hey we need to get [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] on here to give her experiences w/her Frenchie baby :D

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would just recommend learning everything you can about that particular dog before you agree to adopt. Most health and behavioral stuff can be overcome if you are committed to it :) Be prepared for a turbo bulldog with a frenchie (in my experience! LOL). Stella is totally different from Tank. She goes a mile a minute....before I adopted her I always imagined frenchies to be slightly calmer than Stella is. ;) Good luck with your prospective frenchie!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
So exciting! Frenchies are awesome! My little Diva doesn't know how to walk, she runs EVERYWHERE! It's hilarious! They do have more energy than EBs, but Diva burns a lot of it by going on a daily walk and by playing and wrestling with Gio. When we first adopted her (she was 4) she was a mess- really skinny, patches of hair missing, smelly, potty issues in the house, and social issues. But with time and LOTS of love she has made a complete 180 and I wouldn't trade her for anything. I think that as long as the frenchie you are meeting gets along with you guys and Chunk, than any other issue she may have can be worked on IMO. When we adopted Princess at the age of 9 she came in the house and had no real issues besides being a bit smelly, but after a few weeks on a better food she started to smell like a normal dog! I hope everything works out and please post pictures when you meet her! :)

OP
truffle shuffle

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I just spoke with the foster and we go to meet her tomorrow!!! [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] I was told she can be a "tiny tornado"!!! Lol I'm a little scared now ;) but very excited. and yes.... there will be pictures!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
SWEET.... another possible EB / FB home!! I also have a little tornado, Chelios is a bundle of energy and when we decided to take a chance and introduce him to Banks, we spent a full week taking them to neutral locations for meetings. The first meeting was just a greet (hello... aka sniff butts) and a short walk... did not go well at first, but after the walk they were fine. Cheli wanted to play immediately and Banks was having none of it.

Over the next four days we spent 1 to 2 hours a night just letting them play at the vet kennel (fenced yard). I was nervous so it was best to let them be together enough to know each other and feel the beginnings of the pack before we let him come into the house.

What is Chunk's personality like... submissive, dominate... little of both?

When Banks does not want to play or be bothered... Cheli knows it and just stays clear. One great thing, at least about Cheli, Frenchie's tend to know how to keep themseleves occupied, but still need to be with you at all times. Cheli will get a toy and play for an hour or so, without any other interaction needed.... Banks, nope, has to have your undivided attention and if she does not she sulks.

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
I've helped with as a foster parent. I like for the new parents to come to my house and see exactly how I've had their baby living, where they slept what their routine was where they played. And I always had my children around during the meeting so the new parents could see how well they interacted together. and I always observed how the pup interacted with the new parents as well which is very important. make sure you ask LOTS of questions... also ask if you have questions afterwards who you can contact. I always gave the new parents my number and I had one family text me for almost 2 weeks about different to help their girl adjust. They are living happily ever after!!!! Best of Luck !!!

OP
truffle shuffle

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Poor little petrified girl was totally opposit than discribed! Growled at Chunk, didn't wanna leave my lap, didn't seem to fit :( so the search continues! I'm gonna call my local bully rescues again and be a pest :) Chunky needs a brother or sister!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.