Where can I get muzzle that fits my bully's mug?

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Maybe a football helmet!? J/k

I'm sorry he was so stressed out, that was scary for him! I hope you find a solution!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hello fellow Bully lovers, Need advice or suggestions regarding taking Hooch to get his nails cut. Just went to vet's office last night and was there for two hours trying to get Hooch's nails cut. He actually has to be drugged because he will try to bite anyone who tries to cut his nails. He obviously had a bad experience one time when we took him to a groomer and it is now impossible to do it without drugging him because they do not have a muzzle at the vets that fits him. This too was so stressful for him because first they tried to give the drug IV and couldn't find a vein by the time they decided to give him another drug via IM shot, he was so stressed out, hyperventilating and trying to jump off the table that I was about ready to call the whole thing off. They gave him the shot which they thought was going to put him out and were amazed that forty mins later he was still able to get up and walk around. I do not like using drugs and will not put him through that again. After all that he went through, there were still three nails on the front paw they were unable to cut because of his stress level. So please if anyone can tell me where to get the proper muzzle or come up with any other suggestions of how to resolve the problem it would be greatly appreciated. Shamrock13
I want to apologize up front for my comments and thoughts, I'm sure they will be taken wrong by some, and It's not my intent. When I first got Rambo, his first Vet Appt, within 72 Hrs of him being home, My vets office did the exam, and I spent some time speaking to the Vet their. While he was doing his physical, checkup etc, We all noticed his nails were long, and the Vet offered to clip his nails for a nominal fee, I agreed. Vet aid came in, nail clippers in hand, and the struggle was on, next thing I know, 3 more aids joined the first, and the last that came in brought a muzzle. Rambo was muzzled up, put on a table, then had a rope around his neck, and was fighting for air, finally he looked at me with tears in his eyes, and this is where it stopped!! I removed the muzzle, and he nudged up against me wanting my protection, nails half cut, I removed him from the table, paid the clerk at the front counter and left. I dremeled his nails myself after getting home, He fully trusted me....... I found the Muzzle, Rope etc to be too much for my kid to endure. I later made a reservation at Petco for both the boys to get their nails done, except this time I put them on the table, and talked with them the whole time, NO ROPE around either of their necks, NO MUZZLES around their mouths, and no incidents what so ever. My theory, I was right there to comfort them both, and we gently clipped their nails, and the nail technician observed how gentle and loving both of the boys were. In my opinion, theres different people that my boys bark at, and naturally don't like, or are stand offish too, I've also learned over the years, they usually have better judgement than I do, I fully trust their instincts and feelings. After the way Rambo looked at me that day on the table, being held down by 4 technicians, Muzzled, and a rope around his neck as they said to keep him from falling off of the table, which by the weight of his body would have broken his neck anyway, That will never happen again! I work hard for my money, and I my expectations of a technician is to be gentle, kind, and good to my boys, and if I see anything other, i will walk out with my boys, after all, Nail Clipping shouldn't be a horserace to get another dog on the table. I did have to go to my vet, and get proof of rabbies vaccination, No Biggie, and my Vet asked me to let their people clip their nails, the answer of course was not no but HELL NO !! I don't allow either of my boys out without a full harness, knowing a single collar restricts their breathing, and a single noose off of some table doesn't make me feel any better. I'm not you, and I don't know whats best for your pet, However if it were me, I would find a technician willing to accept my money, and do the job safely, and for my boys to be calm around. I'm guessing each dog has their own personality, However a noose and Muzzle arent for me nor my dogs. I wouldn't want to be treated like that, and am not going to allow that with my boys. Again, I appologize if I offended anyone, I do treat my boys as if they were toddlers, and that look in their eyes, and tears are something I find harder to deal with than the muzzle.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very interesting read here, as I have never had to muzzle. I do have one bully that hates getting her nails clipped though.

I would spend time in between nail clippings do some paw massages. I used to be afraid to cut Mandy's nails because she hated it so much , she would growl and scare me to death! But in our not nail clipping time now I will spend time just touching and playing with her paws, massaging them, ect. It has really helped her be a better bully for nail trims.

I understand what [MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION] is saying. A lot of it is trust and being scared to death too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
No offense taken Dave and I appreciate your post. Believe me, I love Hooch and want to protect him but I have to keep others safe also. I agree with savemejeebus's post, even the sweetest bulllies in the world (and Hooch is) will bite when in pain, or fearful for their safety. I certainly don't want to risk anyone's safety or have a lawsuit because my bully bit somebody. He also has to get his nails clipped to protect his feet and be able to walk without any problems. It's been a tough decision believe me but I much prefer the muzzle then using drugs which could be lethal. If I were to try and clip his nails believe me he would try and bite me and I know it. So therefore as a responsible pet owner I need to protect my vet and her techs from being bitten. Believe me, I am always present with Hooch whatever procedure needs to be done on him and always try to talk him through things to ease his stress and or fear. Unfortunately, if he doesn't want it done this sweet bully will turn on anybody, me included. Shamrock 13

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Awe poor Stinky. The best bully card I ever received came from my boss the first year I got Hooch. It was a picture of a real bull dog sitting in front of the tree wearing a Santa hat. The caption read "Forget my two front teeth, I just want my testicles back". LOL, I still have that card. Shamrock

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I want to apologize up front for my comments and thoughts, I'm sure they will be taken wrong by some, and It's not my intent. When I first got Rambo, his first Vet Appt, within 72 Hrs of him being home, My vets office did the exam, and I spent some time speaking to the Vet their. While he was doing his physical, checkup etc, We all noticed his nails were long, and the Vet offered to clip his nails for a nominal fee, I agreed. Vet aid came in, nail clippers in hand, and the struggle was on, next thing I know, 3 more aids joined the first, and the last that came in brought a muzzle. Rambo was muzzled up, put on a table, then had a rope around his neck, and was fighting for air, finally he looked at me with tears in his eyes, and this is where it stopped!! I removed the muzzle, and he nudged up against me wanting my protection, nails half cut, I removed him from the table, paid the clerk at the front counter and left. I dremeled his nails myself after getting home, He fully trusted me....... I found the Muzzle, Rope etc to be too much for my kid to endure. I later made a reservation at Petco for both the boys to get their nails done, except this time I put them on the table, and talked with them the whole time, NO ROPE around either of their necks, NO MUZZLES around their mouths, and no incidents what so ever. My theory, I was right there to comfort them both, and we gently clipped their nails, and the nail technician observed how gentle and loving both of the boys were. In my opinion, theres different people that my boys bark at, and naturally don't like, or are stand offish too, I've also learned over the years, they usually have better judgement than I do, I fully trust their instincts and feelings. After the way Rambo looked at me that day on the table, being held down by 4 technicians, Muzzled, and a rope around his neck as they said to keep him from falling off of the table, which by the weight of his body would have broken his neck anyway, That will never happen again! I work hard for my money, and I my expectations of a technician is to be gentle, kind, and good to my boys, and if I see anything other, i will walk out with my boys, after all, Nail Clipping shouldn't be a horserace to get another dog on the table. I did have to go to my vet, and get proof of rabbies vaccination, No Biggie, and my Vet asked me to let their people clip their nails, the answer of course was not no but HELL NO !! I don't allow either of my boys out without a full harness, knowing a single collar restricts their breathing, and a single noose off of some table doesn't make me feel any better. I'm not you, and I don't know whats best for your pet, However if it were me, I would find a technician willing to accept my money, and do the job safely, and for my boys to be calm around. I'm guessing each dog has their own personality, However a noose and Muzzle arent for me nor my dogs. I wouldn't want to be treated like that, and am not going to allow that with my boys. Again, I appologize if I offended anyone, I do treat my boys as if they were toddlers, and that look in their eyes, and tears are something I find harder to deal with than the muzzle.
No offense taken, Dave. But all my life, I have had dogs, pups, and grown rescue dogs. I have always been able to cut their nails myself. I have been the one to cut nails for other peoples dogs. The bullies are the ONLY ones, that I have had to take to the vet to have their nails trimmed. Even though I trimmed them as pups, when they got older, things changed. They never offered to growl, or bite-but WIGGLE and pull-oh yeah! I guess it's me, but there is no way I can hold a wiggly, determined Bullie, and trim the nails at the same time. I can not even see the nail, most of the time-in the struggle and if I tried to clip, I would most certainly hurt them or quick them. At the vet, one person holds, and the vet clips-no problem. Since I have no help to hold them-it is soooo much less stressful for me (and them) to just go get it done. It is humiliating for ME, as I have ALWAYS dome my own-but I just have to get over it. Everyone always called me to help them! I just had to give in and go. My vet would never put a noose around their neck! BUT if it was absolutely necessary-I would consent to a muzzle, as the less stress the better. Every dog is different, just as every person is different. And everyone here just wants the BEST that can or needs to be done for their bullies! My vet has bullies and loves them too!

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Just a quick update. Hooch's muzzle arrived today. He lets me put it on him with no fear or stress whatsoever. I like it because it is an open wire basket type muzzle, well padded across his muzzle and does not impede his breathing . I really think this was the answer for him. I will make an appointment for him with his mosted trusted groomer Kim and have her safely trim his nails. I truly believe it will be safer for Hooch and for Kim and may even turn into a more pleasant experience for all of us. I will be with him at his side during the trimming and be his biggest cheer leader. Thanks everybody for your input and suggestions. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I've never had to muzzle Sheldon but I would if it were necessary. I use a regular Drimmel tool I was told by groomers not to waste my money on a pedipaws.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

I couldn't have handled that either. I can't stand to see my boy scared and shaking which is why I am on the hunt for a vet that he isn't afraid of because as it stands he starts shaking the second we pull into the parking lot.

Most Reactions