Where can I get muzzle that fits my bully's mug?

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Hello fellow Bully lovers,

Need advice or suggestions regarding taking Hooch to get his nails cut. Just went to vet's office last night and was there for two hours trying to get
Hooch's nails cut. He actually has to be drugged because he will try to bite anyone who tries to cut his nails. He obviously had a bad experience one time when we took him to a groomer and it is now impossible to do it without drugging him because they do not have a muzzle at the vets that fits him.

This too was so stressful for him because first they tried to give the drug IV and couldn't find a vein by the time they decided to give him another drug via IM shot, he was so stressed out, hyperventilating and trying to jump off the table that I was about ready to call the whole thing off. They gave him the shot which they thought was going to put him out and were amazed that forty mins later he was still able to get up and walk around. I do not like using drugs and will not put him through that again. After all that he went through, there were still three nails on the front paw they were unable to cut because of his stress level. So please if anyone can tell me where to get the proper muzzle or come up with any other suggestions of how to resolve the problem it would be greatly appreciated. Shamrock13

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There is a website called Fordogtrainers.com, and they have training necessities for individual breeds. They have muzzles for English Bulldogs. I purchased several items from them, when I had my Malanois.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's to bad that he's become like that, I would have called it off. I cant handle watching that. Have you ever tried dremmeling his nails yourself? Not clipping. We had a really hard time with Buster when he was younger but my wife started to use treats and it has made all the difference in the world. It took a bunch of times to get to that point but he eventually got what she was trying to get him to do. Using Hooches favorite treats or treats he's never had before might make a big difference. I know they sell muzzles specific to English on Amazon.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm sorry to hear that you guys are going through this. I have a similar problem with Brutus. They muzzle him. I don't know what size it is though.

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Lynn, thank you so much for that site information. They have the perfect muzzle for my bully boy. I will get my husband to help me get the proper measurements to insure the right fit. Hooch and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts . I woke up this morning and told my husband that I put a post on this wonderful site with it's wonderful people and that I knew this group would come up with the answer. No longer do I have to stress out and have Hooch stress out just to get his nails cut. Shamrock13 and Hooch

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Thanks for your reply also Rosalie. I love this site and appreciate how helpful all the members are. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sharren, you are quite welcome! I am happy that I could be of help. It helps us all to be able to come on here and get info-that we know will be reliable, instead of going to "unknown" territory!!
"

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Thanks Phil for you response. Believe me, I was so exhausted when I got home because of all the stress he had to go through, but he will never be put through that again. I do have a Pedi Paw apparatus but he (or my lab Sadie) won't allow me to use it on them. I told my husband I believe the pedi paw needs to be introduced to them when they are young puppies. So I will keep it and use it if we ever get another pup. The muzzle that Lynn recommended from the dogtrainersite.com, is the perfect solution. Your dog Buster is so handsome. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Poor boy! I would probably need some anti anxiety meds myself. Even though Orion bites me while cutting her nails, she does fine with the techs doing it. Vegas has always allowed me to cut his nails....but he now seems to think that if he does what Orion does, he will get out of it. He doesn't realize that Orion is NOT a good role model.

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
I love the bulldog kiss pic Cheryl, and believe me I was in bed early that night because of my stress level, it exhausted me. But, thanks to the site that Lynn posted, the problems is solved. Hooch has been measured and his new muzzle should arrive in a few days. And to answer you question Cheryl, yes I do kiss my bull dog on the lips ;) shamrock13 and Hooch

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Hooch and Momma.... hope the muzzle works out and you can help get him through the clipping with so much less stress.

Great find Lynn!

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Every time Stinky goes to the vets they have to muzzle him. Seem like every time he goes there they cut something off.Poor little Stinky.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Ruby is no problem with her toenails but Amber comes unglued with the techicians and will try to bit. I take her to Petsmart and one technician wears some heffty gloves and is able to handle Amber. Lol; Amber will latch onto the glove and the technician just talks to her and continues doing her toenails. The others are not willing to work with Amber, she has them scared but Angie is not scared of her, lucky for me. I think Amber knows it too. Amber has black toenails and has had her quick clipped too close in the past is the reason she doesn't want anyone touching those toes. Anything else she is a piece of cake but not the toes. I always call in advance to make sure they are ready for Amber. Luckily we havent had to use a muzzle or drugs so far. Good luck.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stiggy gives us a hard time as well, and we'd always need to take him to either the groomer or his daycare to get his done.

But a little off topic ... a muzzle is must for a bully's (or any puppy dog's) first aid kit as they tend to bite when they're in pain. Even of they've never bitten before, they will be unpredictable when their instinct to protect themselves kicks in.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, shame that must be so hard for both of you:( Luckily none of mine has problems with me trimming their nails... even though their faces show me they're NOT happy about it, lol. I think maybe I keep their nails a little to long but I'm scared to cut them to short and lose their trust:unsure:.

Maybe he'll let you file the nails and get his trust that way? I did that on Joey's nails when we got her, her "thumb nail" (that one sitting higher on the back, don't know what it's called in english:ashamed:) was so long it was rotating into her skin. I simply could not get the cutter in there:fie:.

Hope the muzzle will work great for you guys:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online