Bulldog Sick - Vet Can't Diagnose - Advice Needed

zansville

Sep 20, 2013
Norwalk, CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Molly
Hi everyone. I have a two year old bulldog named Bailey. He started throwing up his meals last Thursday, and has not been able to hold down a meal since. We brought him to the vet last Saturday, and she gave him fluids and an x-ray, but didn't find anything wrong. She sent us home with pepcid and carafate, and had us switch him to canned Hills I/D. He continued to throw up after meals (about 5 hours after each meal). He went back to the vet on Monday, and they kept him overnight. They gave him IV fluids and did more x-rays and a toxicology screening, but didn't find anything wrong. He was able to keep down two meals while at the vet, but we brought him home and fed him, and he threw up. We have another bully at home who is perfectly fine.

My first thought was a blockage, and he did have a treat called a "Texas Toothpick" before he started getting sick. It's a dried cow tail, which I later found out that others have had problems with these because they may have bone fragments. Nothing is showing up on x-rays, however.

He's very tired, and as of last night started having a touch of diarrhea. He's taking Flagyl for that, and is no longer taking the carafate.

I'm so worried about him, and the fact that the vet hasn't been able to figure out what is wrong is really frustrating and scary. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing? Any advice on other things we can try or suggest to the vet? Any help is truly appreciated.

Thank you!
Kristi

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would think blockage. Maybe they can do an ultasound or some other kind of imaging. I know that sometimes an xray does not show an obstruction. Good luck I hope Bailey is better soon

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
was there a blood test done? white blood cell count? I do not like the sound of this at all, second opinion would be my call , sorry if I sound scary

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone… a second opinion is a must. I believe they can do a barium x-ray, although I have no experience on this… will tag some others to advice [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

OP
zansville

zansville

Sep 20, 2013
Norwalk, CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Molly
There was a blood test done, and everything came back normal. I'm going to ask for an ultrasound tomorrow - I agree that it seems like a blockage. He just went outide and went to the bathroom - it was gelatinous but more solid. Hopefully that's a good sign.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Absolutely a second opinion. Really sounds like something is in the lower bowel because it takes up to 5 hours for him to,vomit. Ultrasound may show something very small, but a CT scan would be even better. Good luck! Lets hope it's something small! Keep us posted!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Make sure you check every poop. Not to be gross, but go out with a stick or gloves and break it apart because if he ate something it can be encased in the poop. I am always on poop watch with Brutus. I am extremely vigilant about watching him in the house and he still managed to get stuff. He is banned from the upstairs of the house where the kids rooms are because that is like sock and underpants nirvana for him. Keep us updated with Baileys progress. By the way, welcome to EBN we are glad to have you.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree w/everyone… a second opinion is a must. I believe they can do a barium x-ray, although I have no experience on this… will tag some others to advice [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Fully agree, we went through this and after two weeks and several tests that came back negative, I finally insisted they cut her open to get the blockage out. They disagreed but did as I asked and low and behold they found this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384910044.973933.jpg

This did not show up in her X-ray because it weighs nothing and has no density. I sure hope it's not a blockage but I would seek a second opinion to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Kristi... so sorry your boy is so sick! Ultrasound definitely, some times items that cause a blockage can not be seen on xrays.

OP
zansville

zansville

Sep 20, 2013
Norwalk, CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Molly
Update - I just took Bailey out for a short walk. He tried to poop several times but only a little bit came out. He also was scooting his behind on the grass. He's never done that before. It definitely seems like there is something in there and he's trying to get it out.

(sorry for the graphic description, but this seemed important).

Thanks again everyone!

Kristi

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
No suggestions other than what has been said above, good luck and let us know what they find.

Desert sky that's crazy, good call having it found like that you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, so sorry you are going throug this with Bailey. I also agree with everyone's opinions, and agree that you need either a second opinion or additional tests, such as a barium X-ray, because if it is a lock age or obstruction of some sort, the object may not show up on a regular X-ray. My male EB Dozer loves to eat sweat socks, and he had done this 3 times in the two years that we have had him. The first one he threw up, but the other two he passed through his poop. Both times, he got quite sick and it took about a week for him to pass them. He started with vomiting, then diarrhea, and he was drooling water from his mouth. We took him to the vet, and she gave him IV fluids, pain medication, a laxative, and sent us home with a high fibre food, which we had to feed him 1 Tbsp. every two hours. He did pass the sweat sock at 8:30 that night. I hope the vet can find what is causing Bailey to be sick. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Bailey that all is okay. Please keep us posted on how he's doing, and keep an eye on his poops to see if he passes anything that he may have swallowed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update - I just took Bailey out for a short walk. He tried to poop several times but only a little bit came out. He also was scooting his behind on the grass. He's never done that before. It definitely seems like there is something in there and he's trying to get it out.

(sorry for the graphic description, but this seemed important).

Thanks again everyone!

Kristi

I'd be calling the vet and telling them you want an ultrasound

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
I would definitely get a second opinion. I took Jagger to he vet a few weeks ago because he ate stuff he wasn't supposed to. The vet told me anything soft would not show up on x ray. That if he didn't pass anything and did not stop throwing up that they would to surgery. That the only explanation would be a blockage.

I hope all gets better and the baby gets well soon

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
You've already been given very good advice. Our first bulldog had a reoccurring blockage that they found only on ultrasound. Insist! Or get another opinion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.