Puppy troubles..PLEASE HELP!!!!!

charlottebishop13

Nov 7, 2013
Hi....I've put a deposit on a pup at the moment he's 5 weeks old
I've been told by the breeder that one of the pups currently has pneumonia
And the biggest of the litter died last night due to aspiration :(

Please help....is this a common thing ? Or perhaps a bad litter? I really don't want to be paying £2000 for a pup from a bad litter who may be at risk of serious health problems

Thanks for any advice/ opinions x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm sorry I cannot say yes or no, raising bully pups is very hard to do and in many cases, especially those who are not familiar with doing it, upper respiratory infections can happen. Usually while weaning. An upper respiratory infection can turn into pneumonia very quickly. How much experience does your breeder have? As long as your pup is not sick they should be okay, but I cannot say yes or no because I do not know the circumstances and if all steps were taken from birth to ensure healthy pups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this or breeding, but agree with Lisa. Just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this, and hope everything turns out okay. I hope the puppies get through this, and you get the puppy you want. Sending love, hugs and prayers, that everything works out.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have not breed dogs in many years,and never had a problem.(thank goodness). In my opinion (mine alone...) I would not want to take the pup. I would ask for my deposit back, and if the breeder will not return your deposit-she's not a good breeder anyway. Things do happen, to all of us, but I would personally feel better getting a pup elsewhere. I have never refused to return a deposit for any reason, if buyer changed their mind.

OP
charlottebishop13

charlottebishop13

Nov 7, 2013
Thanks for the advice. This is the 2nd litter she's had. The thing that worries me is that my pup is the runt of the litter. I chose hi. Because he was the only white pup of the litter n seemed really settled with me. I'm panicking abit now as it was the strongest of the litter that died. She's been feeding them scrambled egg, chicken n rice and abit of science plan puppy. Is this ok? X

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], anything can go wrong raising pups, and they can get an upper respiratory infection pretty easily. If the pup you want is healthy then he should be good. I would just keep in close contact with the breeder and see if any of the other ones are getting sick and make sure your baby stays healthy.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
My little June had an upper respiratory infection a couple weeks after we brought her home. She was also the smallest out of 4 pups and is doing great now! She had a cough suppressant and benedryl for the cough and it went away after about a week.

OP
charlottebishop13

charlottebishop13

Nov 7, 2013
Thanks guys. Aww that's a relief to hear. I'm going to see him again on Friday... R there any questions u think I need to ask while I'm there? X

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience, but wanted to say :hiya; and best of luck with you baby!

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
In the spring, I originally picked out a pup from a litter. This pup ended up dying at around 6 weeks old. Similar to this litter, Bentley was the largest/strongest from his litter. His breeder told me she thought it was a heart problem which previously went undetected during his first visit to the vet. I was offered another puppy from his litter, which was unclaimed, or one of from another litter the breeder had. I chose to pass out of fear that something else might have been wrong with another puppy from the litter. The last I heard, all of the other puppies from the breeder's litters survived. I ended up going with another breeder and could not have been happier. While there is a chance the health issue could be limited to the one pup, I would not want to risk bringing a puppy home, falling in love with it and it not making it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
A hard call for sure and I'd go and visit on Friday then go with your
gut instinct. Prayers for you & for the breeder, such a shame! It is
not a walk in the park especially with bullies as so much can go wrong
at any time and so quickly too. One reason why bullies cost so much,
it's expensive breeding them and raising them. Good luck & GOD bless!

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I myself wouldn't get it.When I got Stinky the breeder offered a one year health guarantee. That is the only way I would buy from a breeder.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.