Barking at Everything?

B

Baxter Tiberius

So Baxter was REALLY socialized as a little puppy (flew with me across the country, went to san diego, phoenix, stayed with friends, parks, did everything).

But as he's hitting 6 months now, not only is he becoming afraid of everything (segueys, mothers pushing strollers, tables outdoors with tablecloths waving wildly in the wind, ) but he barks at all of these things nonstop like crazy.

Even in my house, if I bring a big box into the room he will flip out, and bark at it nonstop until I remove the box. Same with groceries. A small step ladder with 2 steps, he runs out of the room in terror after barking. A large ladder, - just sit it in the living room and he flips out barking like crazy. I don't want this to continue long term.

Is this just an issue of needing to get him out more, to be around these things? Is this just a phase? Or is this something that may get worse and needs training to stop?

For some reason it makes me depressed that he is so terrified and skittish. I don't want him to be that way. I can't even get him to come into the hallway with me to take out the garbage. When he was a tiny little thing, he would come tumbling out down the hall without a care in the world.

Now, if I manage to get him to come out, the second I drop the bag into the garbage shute, he turns and runs like hell for his very life, back to my apartment. That just doesn't seem normal to me. Something seems wrong. He was far more bold and confident when he was tiny.

dodgetail

Nov 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dodge
I'm not sure and not much experienced yet but sounds the same to my friend's JRT who suddenly become very noisy. And some people said it might be he become somewhat protective on his owner. My friend is on search and process now how to make him more submissive and listen to her to stop and discourage the behavior.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Bazza is also scared of a lot of things, like what you are describing but he flees, runs away, but there has been times, when he will just sit there and bark at it (not often). Not sure of how to stop it though, maybe someone with more experience will come along soon with advice.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey is not a barker, but he did start getting more skidish about 6 months old. What I did was encouraged him to face the fear. Like, the box you described- if Bogey was afraid of something like that, I would go and sit next to it, acting like it was no big deal. I would even put some treats next to it. I never soothed him or told him in that sappy voice" it's ok" . Instead I told him he was silly and went on my way with what I was doing. He always came around. Our latest " fear" was we had a new dishwasher installed that had a 2 dimensional logo on the front. Bogey walked in the kitchen, spotted that logo, and growled and backed out of the kitchen! He would not come back in. Well, his food is served only in the kitchen, so I knew he would have to make peace with the nasty dishwasher! He did. I was not giving in, and it took a full day befroe he finally walked in without cowering. But the worse is at night- to take him out for his last pee about 9:30 - he freaks ME out! He is always looking over his shoulder, growling at the black night, always making me think someone or something is behind us! He jumps at every slight sound. It freaks me out! He is not like that at all during the day. I think this is a bully thing!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Kevin, I have owned 2 bullies in my life so far and they both went thru this stage around the 6 mos mark. It almost seemed to me like they were starting to "see" things for the first time… LOL It is a faze for some of them, and they eventually chill out a bit. Bella never did like the vacuum, but she eventually mellowed out about strange boxes, bags, etc… I have to say thought I have had my boxer Roxie w/us while we have had the bullies and they like to cower behind her if they see something or someone new. I guess they figure she's so big, she will protect them or something… LOL :lol: I would give Baxter some time, and don't make a big deal about it...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus did this as well and still does not like new things. He is much better than when he was little. I agree with everyone else though try to show him it's no big deal and move on. Bullys are such strange little characters.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I believe its a bully thing. Sheldon also does this if something opens that he has never experienced being open or making a noise he never realized made noise. LOL....we just act like its no big thing well the adults do my daughter Kenzie and my son Bubba always use that silly voice and say its ok. He is getting better about the vacuum I can actually get closer to him now before he gets up and moves. Hey its progress. LOL

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think Baxter is going through a stage, as mentioned by Tracey,(and all) where he is actually paying more attention to his surroundings. When they are "little", all they think bout is playing and eating!(and pooping...) Now, he is beginning to really "see" things, and feel more threatened. When babies start crawling, that's when they begin noticing more of their world,and begin exploring. When ever any of mine did this, I just said "Oh, you're so silly" and would sit near the item, or pat it and say"it's just a box" or whatever the item was. The more matter-of -fact-I think, the better it is. Reassure him -you can say it's okay, silly boy, but don't make a big deal and try not to let your insides feel like a big deal, because they can sense it. It worked for me training horses, donkeys and dogs. Hope this helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hmm: Bulldog OCD.... move or add something and you will pay the wrath :stinkeye:

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thanks everyone.

Today I moved a paint can. A small paint can. 1 gallon. It was on the floor holding a door open. He's walked by it for months. But today, I wanted to close the door. So I picked up the can. Baxter was right there. The simple act of picking up the can (or his sudden awareness of it) made him lose all bowel control. He scrambled like hell, squirted diarrheah all over the floor as he ran full speed down the hall in total terror.

I look in the hall and there's a squirted trail of brown liquid everywhere. Frustrated, and a little annoyed I admit, I decided we were going to face this fear together. So I picked him up, calmly brought him back to the paint can, and sat down with him in my lap, next to it. He proceeded to release his piss all over my lap in sheer terror. I let him go, covered in pee, as he ran through his diahrrhea and smeared it all the way back to his crate where he cowered in fear.

When I walked back to his crate, he was in this crazy submissive, bent down, curled pose. Ears flat back on his head in terror, eyes wide open, looking up at me with his head doing this ...strange ...wave to the right, then wave to the left. My god so dramatic !!! I wish I had a picture of his face!

After cleaning up the huge mess, I calmly brought the paint can to his crate to sit it next to him (you think I would've learned my lesson by now). The horror on his face and the cowering, curled, fetal position, ears flat, wide-eyed, swaying head thing just got worse. So I let it go.

Strange indeed.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh my I have never heard of a reaction that extreme. Brutus will bark and act like a jerk but does get over it. I'm sorry you had such a mess. I promise I only giggled a little. I'm really sorry I know it is not funny but the things we go through with these babies.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hmm that is an extreme stress case - i don't know what to advise you as i never had a dog that was afraid to this extent
(Reading your post did made me giggle tho i know i shouldn't but i couldn't help it)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I suppose it goes along with his extremely sensitive side in all the good ways too. He's a very very sensitive little guy. Hope he gains some confidence. We'll keep working on it.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Some bullies can be like that -one of Lilys litter mates -was like it ,he was also a crybaby and a cuddle bug -he stayed with the breeders and stayed that way too -i think it adds to his personality

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Today I picked up a little office garbage can. Was going to take it out and empty it. As I picked it up, baxter was right next to it. The look of horror appeared again, he curled into major submissive mode, and I sat and watched as he emptied his urine out all over the floor beneath him.

:mellow:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.