Health insurance..

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I'm thinking about getting health insurance for Stinky. What do I look for?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There are a few threads on here about this topic,.... a couple out there are Trupanion and VPI

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Dana, I have VPI for Sherman. Already been reimbursed $2000 in 15 months. Worth it!

B

Baxter Tiberius

I didn't read the fine print with my pet insurance.

Do they all issue a deductible based upon each "incident" ?

Meaning your dog can go to the vet for cherry eye, bronchitis, skin issues, maybe another time for some vaccinations, and the another time for a fecal check for worms .... and because each visit was for something different, you're basically paying for it all out of pocket, because each thing has its own $500 deductible?

Thats how mine is. And it blows.

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I bought trupanion good price and no max payout per year

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It all depends on what you want and can afford to or are willing to pay per month. We have Trupanion with a low deductible and no yearly limits but it costs more than if we went with a higher deductible. However there are others out there like VPI and others even go for Care Credit which is just a credit card that you can use not only for vet bill but some human medical/dental bills as well.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I live in Canada, so am not familiar with the insurance companies in the States, but we use Pet Secure, and are happy with their service and coverage. They have different levels, and we started out with the puppy wellness plan for the first year, to cover all the puppy stuff like vaccinations, exams, stool samples, blood work, spay and neuter, etc. and then we dropped down a level. I've heard good things about Trupanion, and also Presidents Choice has their own insurance, just not sure if you have them in the States. Insurance helps, they may not cover everything, ours covers 80%, and we have a one time deductible of $250, but it definetely helps with the costs. Dozer got hurt the very first night we. Roughy him home and bruised his paw, he needed an X-ray, pain meds, an anti inflammatory, and it was covered. Having insurance just gives you peace of mind that if they do get sick or injured, or if they need surgery, you don't have to worry so much about the high cost of a vet visit. Our spay and neuter was covered, as well as we had both of Blossoms cherry eyes fixed, and it was covered.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just got Trupanion a couple of months ago, and I haven't' filed a claim yet. I got a higher premium, but I also have a 9 year old boxer on there too!!!

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
I have Healthy Paws. Read really good things about them, so decided on them after reading horrible things about VPI and the negative changes they've recently gone through.

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
I have trupanion and based it on everything they will cover is a lot of issued that bulldogs experience....have had it for about 2 years haven't had to use it yet!!!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I live in Canada, so am not familiar with the insurance companies in the States, but we use Pet Secure, and are happy with their service and coverage. They have different levels, and we started out with the puppy wellness plan for the first year, to cover all the puppy stuff like vaccinations, exams, stool samples, blood work, spay and neuter, etc. and then we dropped down a level. I've heard good things about Trupanion, and also Presidents Choice has their own insurance, just not sure if you have them in the States. Insurance helps, they may not cover everything, ours covers 80%, and we have a one time deductible of $250, but it definetely helps with the costs. Dozer got hurt the very first night we. Roughy him home and bruised his paw, he needed an X-ray, pain meds, an anti inflammatory, and it was covered. Having insurance just gives you peace of mind that if they do get sick or injured, or if they need surgery, you don't have to worry so much about the high cost of a vet visit. Our spay and neuter was covered, as well as we had both of Blossoms cherry eyes fixed, and it was covered.

Petsecure just decided to decrease my benefits with a 30 day notice. We went from $500 yearly deductible, 80% coverage from the insurance company now to only 60% coverage after the deductible. SHe is considered high risk because at 2 years old she had two claims for her tooth extraction and her elongated palate surgery. I might cancel, i dont like when companies just decide not to keep their end of the contract.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.