Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog .....?

Baxter Tiberius

Default Is the hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog .....?

.... watching them suffer through all their health issues?

I just want to know this up front so I can prepare myself mentally for it. It's something that hasn't been articulated to me yet, but I am starting to feel that way with Baxter. And he's still just a puppy. I often want to ask all of you if after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years ... maybe the most difficult thing isn't the expense .... or the irritation that they're always having health problems (this is the big warning I always hear!) ... but the worst part is actually having to watch them go through those health problems?

Or are the health problems really not THAT frequent ... therefore its not really THAT influential of an issue overall?

I really take it hard when Baxter is struggling with various things. I just need to prep myself if this is going to be the norm....

Kevin

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is the hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog .....?

I had wanted and waited for 10 years to get an EB and I knew the various and most common health problems that they could get. The breathing problems due to their cute smooshed in faces, the joint problems, allergies and sensitivity to foods, skin sensitivities, and cherry eye. I knew this going in, so obtained pet insurance on my two guys, and decided I would be proactive and start with healthy choices in their food, treats, vet care, and supplements. I think that there are certain traits that affect certain breeds, and each breed has their specific problems. We have no guarantees in life even with our own health, there are a whole host of issues and diseases that we potentially can get, and there are no guarantees when we have children that they are not going to have any problems either. We can make sure we start our pets on a high quality and nutritious food, which goes a long way in prolonging their life and health, we can give them preventative vet care to make sure they stay healthy, spay/neuter our pets to avoid unwanted traits, wandering, and certain cancers. We can give them healthy treats, and preventative supplements like yogurt, apple cider vinegar, salmon oil, all these boost the immune system which helps them to better stay healthy and fight diseases, and make sure they get adequate exercise, and lots of love. If we do our best by our pets, we will hopefully be able to enjoy them for a long time, and have that unconditional love that only a pet can provide. Unfortunately our pets don't have a life span of humans, and so we do eventuallly face that heartache of out living them and having to let them go one day, but if we didn't then we wouldn't have our precious babies and the opportunity of loving one of these beautiful animals. All we can do is love, care and enjoy them for as long as we are lucky to have them. Don't think about all the sad and difficult things that can happen, but focus on the time and love that you have, and enjoy them each and everyday.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Personally it breaks my heart that porky doesn't like her face or head pet or really even touched. She had such severe yeast infections that it was nightly I was having to hold her face n just about scrub the yeast out of her nose rope so whenever I touch her face she thinks she's getting cleaned. I think it becomes easier with time though because they realize what we are doing is because we love them and want them to be healthy. Don't know if my insight helped at all but I hope it did
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)

I too waited my whole life for an ebd. I too heard about the health problems and got insurance for him. Before I understood the importance of his food to his well being, Bocephus had more problems. Once he got on a grain free diet, he has minimal issues. His biggest problem is his eye which we clean and put drops/ointment in daily... That's not going to change. But since the diet change, he doesn't have yeast anywhere! We only dealt with it in his deep nose wrinkle but now that wrinkle is white and clean. So much so, that the vet doesn't believe it's just from the food. Even his moments of not feeling well, he never acted sad. The love they give you makes up for any possible bad feeling you might have. Yes it is sad when they don't feel well, but imagine if they didn't have you to take care of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Debo
    Likes (Received)

Default Is the hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog .....?

That's a great question!

They can get into trouble so I like vikinggirl's idea about getting pet insurance.

You just want to put them in a bubble to keep them out of trouble! It's like playing Russian roulette when you pick out your puppy because you never really know what could happen. He could have health problems or he could be perfectly healthy his whole life!

I don't know if I could ever really prepare myself for anything tragic. I do thoroughly enjoy every minute with my bully though.

My first bully broke my heart but he was worth it.
    Last edited by Emily; 11-15-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

It is hard but he has YOU All they want is to have someone care for them and do what's best for them, far from every dog has that. Baxter is lucky to have you. I've gone trough some hard times with mine but they deal with it so good, much better than me. The worst part for me is to leave them at the vet, it breaks my heart, I will never get used to it. However we've find a great vet that really cares for his patients, we call him doctor Dave and he calls our Boeboe "Bobis".

I have 3 bulldogs and I really don't think it's so bad... we've had dealt with entropion, hip dysplasia, minor bacterial infection and pulled muscles and I've been a mess every single time, our kids though has taken it with ease. I think what ever future has in store for you and Baxter, together you two will do great.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I'm so saddened that a lot of people view bulldog's health problems as inevitable. With good breeding these health problems can be bred, maybe not away alltogether, but atleast they would not be a trademark of a bully. Like with humans two healthy people can get a sick child, so can two healthy bullys. But at the moment since it's a trademark, all bullys seem to be fit and healthy enough to reproduce. They're also very excpensive, so back yard breeding is a great business. Petshops sell cute pups that come from who knows were. Yes, you maybe rescuing that pup, but only making room for more and money for skumbags. Were there's life, there's disease and death and there's no guarantees with even the best breeder, but that some people don't even care a little bit of the suffering of these precious creatures and the heart ache of their owner is beyond me.
    My bullys are not without health issues. My older boy has a gene defect that makes him prone to develope bladder stones (most dalmatians have the same defect). He also has some changes is his back. Neither efects our daily lifes and is managed with healthy food and exercise. But there will be no pups.
    My younger has had sherry eye surgery for his other eye, but is otherwise healthy. Time and testing will tell if he has what it takes to father healthy pups. He's only a year old.

So the most painfull and hardest thing for me is the very thought that I will loose them one day. Every time somebody's bully passes I cry a little, cause I can allready feel the pain that I will have.
    Last edited by RiiSi; 11-15-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

My 1st exposure to a bully was 4 years ago, my son dated a girl that
    owned Bruzer, a 4 y/o handsome boy that had shown no problems
    but was having a myriad of things wrong, seemingly out of the blue.
    As their relationship became serious, they went out of town often so
    I dog sat Bruzer. They went to Chicago a week, my 1st time having
    him so long at one time. After 3 days of listening to him wheeze & snore,
    I broke down and cried.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

So sorry your baby is having so many problems, but as @RiiSi stated, most problems are caused by bad breeding. Too many people want to make a quick buck and just breed two bullies together without regard to health, temperament, and so on. Most well bred bullies are very healthy. You still get an occasional bully with problems, but they are few and far between. This is why I am so against people who breed for money only or the person who gets a bully and just wants to bred for another bully and one for their friends and do not pay attention to genetics. I wish there were a way to control this, but there isn't. There are a lot of good reputable breeders out there that do pay close attention to genetics, health, and temperament, and try to breed the best bully they can. So there are some great healthy bullies out there, so don't give up on the breed. It just takes time and some investigation, and sometimes, just good luck to find an excellent breeder who is proud of their bullies and has healthy, great looking bullies.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

My bully has been very healthy in his years with me. I would have to say the hardest part about having a bulldog is that their life span is shorter than some other breeds of dogs or your mixed breeds. That, in my opinion is the hardest part.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

And then there are those that get a bulldog with not one health problem! A friend of mine has a 9 year old male that was raised on Purina One, lives in the south, has never had a skin or allergy problem, and was purchased in a pet store! Go figure! I pray that Baxter will outgrow this respiratory stuff and he will lead a long, healthy life. But you are so right, when they are sick, we suffer right with them. Lots of prayers and hugs coming your way!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I have to say that the hardest part about owning this breed is the fact that they may not live as long as other dogs. Besides allergy issues, my bullies have been pretty healthy… but then of course Winston has started w/his eye problems. It's very hard to lose your babies, but I know that while they were here they were very much loved & cared for And my faith that one day I will see them again, if I'm lucky!!!

It seems to me that on here lately everyone is getting obsessed about that horrible day when their babies will ONE day head off to the rainbow bridge… The way I see it is that every single one of us is getting closer to that day, we are all on our way to somewhere else. Please do NOT worry so much about that loss, that you forget to enjoy this day I have dealt w/a lot of loss in my life, human & fur babies… never underestimate what you can & can NOT deal with. You are much stronger than you think…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads