Is the hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog .....?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Kevin as a parent of skin and fur kids all I can say is there are no guarantees in this life and we all should cherish what we have every single day. I know it is hard to look at your beautiful boy thinking the bottom may drop at any time, but I think it is better to have the experience and love of Baxter for as long as you can than to never have had it at all. I can tell that you are a deep thinking and feeling man just by your posts and your love for Baxter. All I can say is enjoy him and love him every single minute you can. I can honestly say that I will never have any other breed of dog other than a bully at my side because there is nothing like bully love.

I completely agree with this post. There are no guarantees in life and we should make the best of what we have. We can always try to avoid things but, really, we're at the mercy of what we will ultimately receive.

Stiggy was suffering from allergies that we couldn't figure out. Being rookie paw-rents, we relied on what the vets say. After a couple of months of him getting hives all over his body and hot spots, My bf and I were discussing that maybe it was best to give him back to the breeder since he seemed so healthy there, without asking for any money back. But we found this site and with everyone's help, we found that it was all food related.

Now Punkin, he has problems that we can't really fix, but can maintain, he has weak hips and knees. He had a benign tumour removed and now warts on the lids of both eyes that require surgery. Although it saddens us to see him in such a state, his cheerful demeanor always reminds us to live each day to the fullest. Both of the boys show us this daily.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon is really health for where he came from I agree with everyone else its knowing that one day I WILL lose him but like others have said I will ALWAYS have a bully at my side I will never have any other breed because there is no love like bully love they have an intuition that surpasses other breeds I think. It was in my research to make sure I was giving Sheldon the best I could that I found this site and I haven't looked back.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
So far, the hardest part of owning my Bully is the pain I feel when they knock me over... I've been getting good at stepping out of the way of a running bully as I found mine are not agile enough to stop before hitting the wall, the furniture, and ME!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So far, the hardest part of owning my Bully is the pain I feel when they knock me over... I've been getting good at stepping out of the way of a running bully as I found mine are not agile enough to stop before hitting the wall, the furniture, and ME!

Completely agree with this too. I tripped over Stig and while I flew over him scabbing both knees when I landed, he, on the other hand, didn't even move or budge an inch. He just stood there like nothing happened.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
When I decided to introduce EBDs into our life I did tons of research on the breed; I have always had dogs and was doing rescue for Great Danes for many years before we got Amber and Ruby. Rescues came to me with a multitude of health and behavioral issues and may have prepared me for EBDs. In my opinion, they are just like children and there are no guarantees of what the future has in store for them. Some are healthy and just like children they can wake up one morning and have issues that never existed before. My grandson has autistic spectrum and can be a handful but when he looks into our eyes and gets something for the first time, that is the gift that just melts all of our hearts, the bullies to me are the same way. None of us have any guarantees and I am just thankful for the here and now. Both the good and the bad and worth it all, enjoy the moment of everyday is all I can say. Sometimes its tough but the tough stuff is what makes us grow. Good luck!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Completely agree with this too. I tripped over Stig and while I flew over him scabbing both knees when I landed, he, on the other hand, didn't even move or budge an inch. He just stood there like nothing happened.

LOL!!! Yep! I've been through this too! Well... not bad enough to fly and scab both knees... But Bullie has this habit of laying behind me while I'm washing dishes.

I'm sure Stig did the same as Bullie when I fell backward landing on top of her and I rolled to my knees with my hands on my waist and stared at her, she raised her head, cocked her ears, and gave me this confused look that says, "What?".

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby

This made me laugh hard; Ruby almost broke my leg in August, she ran up to me while I was coming through the door. I flew backwards and landed out the door and into the yard. My left leg was black and blue for several weeks and I am still experiencing a few pokes of pain from that tumble. lol; bullies do get going and have a hard time stopping.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You know, there are NO guarantees in life-not for our fur babies, or us. My husband was a lot healthier than I -very active and in great shape for his age(as the Dr. had said to him 15 min. before....) in one split second-he was gone. Aside from that, Since we were first married, we always had horses, and usually 5 or 6 dogs at a time. We lost 3 dobermans-at a young age-two due to cardiomyopathy-one who had just gotten a clean "bill of health" that day-she died in her sleep the same night. Had a German Shepherd who died the night my husband died-she had a progressive seizure disorder. It would take a book to write the life-and death experiences I have had. both human and animal. Somehow, if we LOVE, we find a way to deal and survive these things-and deal-even when we think we can't. I know that Baxter has had a very hard time (so has his Daddy) and there are others on here who also have very trying times. Somehow I have survived alone, which shocks me, when I think about it...as I am such a coward. My husband was MY strength(and GOD) but here I am,still. I have learned that you can only take one day at a time, and get through that. My biggest worry is what will happen to my animals, when I am gone. I have asked my neices to give them homes,or to find homes for them-and have lately considered asking EBN, if they would be a contact for my nieces, if they need help. Some people may not have faith-or we all have our own faith-one thing that I repeated to myself every day, when I lost my "love of my life" was "I can do all things through Christ who strengthenenth me".One day at a time.That is all I can deal with. Sorry if this is too heavy............So it goes...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
And on a lighter note.....If I am walking forward, and forget something-they are so close behind me, when I turn around to go back-I trip over them! And they sometimes walk in front of me-anticipating WHERE I am going! AND crash into me, when they are Playing! Like someone threw a cinderblock at me! Have to put clean water in the bowls 5 times a day (slobber and dirt..) LOVE a BULLIE! People are afraid of them. I can't contain them -because they LOVE people!! I love 'em all (not so much the people...) not referring to EBNers!

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Daisy Mae had a life threatening reaction to her vaccines at 4 months. Watching her going through that was awful. She's been healthy since but no vaccines ever again so we have to live with the fear of catching something for the rest of her life. We can't hide in the house but at least no dog parks for her. I just hope to make her life the best it can be and we get to enjoy many many years together.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
LOL She looked like a track
star when she went in the house.
I'm sure she was running straight
for the couch.

Exactly. No matter what you're doing he's always between your legs and it's so easy to trip over him

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Bulldog owners are extremely special people with hearts of gold, because if you take care of these dogs the way you do, imagine how special other people in your life feel!!!! It's the reason I love this site so much!

Agreed. There's a kindness everyone here has ...

Thanks everyone.

JoeR53

Jul 24, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Blu Lily Gemma
The hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog for me . . . having to leave them at home. I miss these silly little guys when I'm away. It took me a while to convince my wife we needed to spend over two dollars a pound for dog food, but since we have switched to Blue Buffalo, the Bullies are much happier and health problems have disappeared. We are blessed with having dogs from a good breeding line.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
This could have been said I scanned through but here is my thought on the matter. Most people come to ebn because there is something unusual about their bully happening most of the time there is a health problem. But think about it this way when you buy a bed and you love the bed you don't really make mention of the level of happiness when you buy a bed and it sucks you tell everyone. What I am getting at is there are probably hundreds even thousands of bully owners that never get to ebn because they never have a problem. (Sorry if the bed reference was insensitive it was the best comparison I had at the moment) there are plenty of breed related problems with a lot of other dog if the dog seems to be happy and loving life let them live and be a happy bully if they are not doing well and grave no need to be selfish

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
So far (knock on wood) we have had a pretty good run with Raven. She has cherry eye and has had a pulled muscle here and there because she is a dynamo. I honestly feel that no matter what I have to deal with I can because to avoid it would be to not have ever had my spunky monkey. She is worth every bit of the fear and anxiety I feel at times. As much as we want to avoid issues it's always a crap shoot. The best I can do is to feed her the best that I can, love her to bits and enjoy every day that she is a part of our lives, the rest is in God's hands. My life is so much richer for having her and no matter what the future may hold health wise for her I will never ever fear or regret welcoming her into our family. Sometimes I remember that bullies have a shorter span that a lot of other dogs and it throws me in a bit of a spin, but I do my best to dial it back and live for the moment and enjoy every one of her silly antics.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.