Is the hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog .....?

B

Baxter Tiberius

.... watching them suffer through all their health issues?

I just want to know this up front so I can prepare myself mentally for it. It's something that hasn't been articulated to me yet, but I am starting to feel that way with Baxter. And he's still just a puppy. I often want to ask all of you if after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years ... maybe the most difficult thing isn't the expense .... or the irritation that they're always having health problems (this is the big warning I always hear!) ... but the worst part is actually having to watch them go through those health problems?

Or are the health problems really not THAT frequent ... therefore its not really THAT influential of an issue overall?

I really take it hard when Baxter is struggling with various things. I just need to prep myself if this is going to be the norm....

Kevin

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I had wanted and waited for 10 years to get an EB and I knew the various and most common health problems that they could get. The breathing problems due to their cute smooshed in faces, the joint problems, allergies and sensitivity to foods, skin sensitivities, and cherry eye. I knew this going in, so obtained pet insurance on my two guys, and decided I would be proactive and start with healthy choices in their food, treats, vet care, and supplements. I think that there are certain traits that affect certain breeds, and each breed has their specific problems. We have no guarantees in life even with our own health, there are a whole host of issues and diseases that we potentially can get, and there are no guarantees when we have children that they are not going to have any problems either. We can make sure we start our pets on a high quality and nutritious food, which goes a long way in prolonging their life and health, we can give them preventative vet care to make sure they stay healthy, spay/neuter our pets to avoid unwanted traits, wandering, and certain cancers. We can give them healthy treats, and preventative supplements like yogurt, apple cider vinegar, salmon oil, all these boost the immune system which helps them to better stay healthy and fight diseases, and make sure they get adequate exercise, and lots of love. If we do our best by our pets, we will hopefully be able to enjoy them for a long time, and have that unconditional love that only a pet can provide. Unfortunately our pets don't have a life span of humans, and so we do eventuallly face that heartache of out living them and having to let them go one day, but if we didn't then we wouldn't have our precious babies and the opportunity of loving one of these beautiful animals. All we can do is love, care and enjoy them for as long as we are lucky to have them. Don't think about all the sad and difficult things that can happen, but focus on the time and love that you have, and enjoy them each and everyday.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Personally it breaks my heart that porky doesn't like her face or head pet or really even touched. She had such severe yeast infections that it was nightly I was having to hold her face n just about scrub the yeast out of her nose rope so whenever I touch her face she thinks she's getting cleaned. I think it becomes easier with time though because they realize what we are doing is because we love them and want them to be healthy. Don't know if my insight helped at all but I hope it did :)

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
I too waited my whole life for an ebd. I too heard about the health problems and got insurance for him. Before I understood the importance of his food to his well being, Bocephus had more problems. Once he got on a grain free diet, he has minimal issues. His biggest problem is his eye which we clean and put drops/ointment in daily... That's not going to change. But since the diet change, he doesn't have yeast anywhere! We only dealt with it in his deep nose wrinkle but now that wrinkle is white and clean. So much so, that the vet doesn't believe it's just from the food. Even his moments of not feeling well, he never acted sad. The love they give you makes up for any possible bad feeling you might have. Yes it is sad when they don't feel well, but imagine if they didn't have you to take care of them :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
That's a great question!

They can get into trouble so I like vikinggirl's idea about getting pet insurance.

You just want to put them in a bubble to keep them out of trouble! It's like playing Russian roulette when you pick out your puppy because you never really know what could happen. He could have health problems or he could be perfectly healthy his whole life!

I don't know if I could ever really prepare myself for anything tragic. I do thoroughly enjoy every minute with my bully though.

My first bully broke my heart but he was worth it.

Last edited:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
It is hard:*( but he has YOU:heart: All they want is to have someone care for them and do what's best for them, far from every dog has that. Baxter is lucky to have you:). I've gone trough some hard times with mine but they deal with it so good, much better than me:ashamed:. The worst part for me is to leave them at the vet, it breaks my heart, I will never get used to it. However we've find a great vet that really cares for his patients, we call him doctor Dave and he calls our Boeboe "Bobis":tongue:.

I have 3 bulldogs and I really don't think it's so bad... we've had dealt with entropion, hip dysplasia, minor bacterial infection and pulled muscles and I've been a mess every single time, our kids though has taken it with ease. I think what ever future has in store for you and Baxter, together you two will do great:).

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so saddened that a lot of people view bulldog's health problems as inevitable. With good breeding these health problems can be bred, maybe not away alltogether, but atleast they would not be a trademark of a bully. Like with humans two healthy people can get a sick child, so can two healthy bullys. But at the moment since it's a trademark, all bullys seem to be fit and healthy enough to reproduce. They're also very excpensive, so back yard breeding is a great business. Petshops sell cute pups that come from who knows were. Yes, you maybe rescuing that pup, but only making room for more and money for skumbags. Were there's life, there's disease and death and there's no guarantees with even the best breeder, but that some people don't even care a little bit of the suffering of these precious creatures and the heart ache of their owner is beyond me.
My bullys are not without health issues. My older boy has a gene defect that makes him prone to develope bladder stones (most dalmatians have the same defect). He also has some changes is his back. Neither efects our daily lifes and is managed with healthy food and exercise. But there will be no pups.
My younger has had sherry eye surgery for his other eye, but is otherwise healthy. Time and testing will tell if he has what it takes to father healthy pups. He's only a year old.

So the most painfull and hardest thing for me is the very thought that I will loose them one day. Every time somebody's bully passes I cry a little, cause I can allready feel the pain that I will have.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My 1st exposure to a bully was 4 years ago, my son dated a girl that
owned Bruzer, a 4 y/o handsome boy that had shown no problems
but was having a myriad of things wrong, seemingly out of the blue.
As their relationship became serious, they went out of town often so
I dog sat Bruzer. They went to Chicago a week, my 1st time having
him so long at one time. After 3 days of listening to him wheeze & snore,
I broke down and cried.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry your baby is having so many problems, but as [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] stated, most problems are caused by bad breeding. Too many people want to make a quick buck and just breed two bullies together without regard to health, temperament, and so on. Most well bred bullies are very healthy. You still get an occasional bully with problems, but they are few and far between. This is why I am so against people who breed for money only or the person who gets a bully and just wants to bred for another bully and one for their friends and do not pay attention to genetics. I wish there were a way to control this, but there isn't. There are a lot of good reputable breeders out there that do pay close attention to genetics, health, and temperament, and try to breed the best bully they can. So there are some great healthy bullies out there, so don't give up on the breed. It just takes time and some investigation, and sometimes, just good luck to find an excellent breeder who is proud of their bullies and has healthy, great looking bullies.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My bully has been very healthy in his years with me. I would have to say the hardest part about having a bulldog is that their life span is shorter than some other breeds of dogs or your mixed breeds. That, in my opinion is the hardest part.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
And then there are those that get a bulldog with not one health problem! A friend of mine has a 9 year old male that was raised on Purina One, lives in the south, has never had a skin or allergy problem, and was purchased in a pet store! Go figure! I pray that Baxter will outgrow this respiratory stuff and he will lead a long, healthy life. But you are so right, when they are sick, we suffer right with them. Lots of prayers and hugs coming your way!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have to say that the hardest part about owning this breed is the fact that they may not live as long as other dogs. Besides allergy issues, my bullies have been pretty healthy… but then of course Winston has started w/his eye problems. It's very hard to lose your babies, but I know that while they were here they were very much loved & cared for :heart: And my faith that one day I will see them again, if I'm lucky!!!

It seems to me that on here lately everyone is getting obsessed about that horrible day when their babies will ONE day head off to the rainbow bridge… The way I see it is that every single one of us is getting closer to that day, we are all on our way to somewhere else. Please do NOT worry so much about that loss, that you forget to enjoy this day :sunny: I have dealt w/a lot of loss in my life, human & fur babies… never underestimate what you can & can NOT deal with. You are much stronger than you think…

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Kevin as a parent of skin and fur kids all I can say is there are no guarantees in this life and we all should cherish what we have every single day. I know it is hard to look at your beautiful boy thinking the bottom may drop at any time, but I think it is better to have the experience and love of Baxter for as long as you can than to never have had it at all. I can tell that you are a deep thinking and feeling man just by your posts and your love for Baxter. All I can say is enjoy him and love him every single minute you can. I can honestly say that I will never have any other breed of dog other than a bully at my side because there is nothing like bully love.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with everyone here, and Davidh and Riisi made excellent points. It's many times due to poor breeding, that there is so many health issues with our lovable breed. These are the ones that find our site, because they need help. Most people with healthy bullies will probably never find EBN. Sadly though, the number of puppy mills, backyard breeders and imported pups by far are greater than those that breed for good health and temperament.

With the exception of an eye ulcer, UTI and obstruction, mine rarely have seen a vet. So I agree the hardest part is knowing their life spans are not as long as others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I understand. I thought Ruthie was just going to be a normal, healthy dog. We could deal with the potty issues she has but after a few months we started getting head tremors and then came the seizures. Yeah she has her problems, but the good with Ruthie outweighs any of the bad stuff. I love her with everything I have and I won't give up on her just because of her issues. I met a couple at dinner the other night with a bulldog and we started talking and they said "so what's your problems" I just said "Epilepsy, what's yours?" they said..."Skin" and we just started laughing. Bulldog owners are extremely special people with hearts of gold, because if you take care of these dogs the way you do, imagine how special other people in your life feel!!!! It's the reason I love this site so much!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online