Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog .....?

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is the hardest thing about owning an English Bulldog .....?

Kevin as a parent of skin and fur kids all I can say is there are no guarantees in this life and we all should cherish what we have every single day. I know it is hard to look at your beautiful boy thinking the bottom may drop at any time, but I think it is better to have the experience and love of Baxter for as long as you can than to never have had it at all. I can tell that you are a deep thinking and feeling man just by your posts and your love for Baxter. All I can say is enjoy him and love him every single minute you can. I can honestly say that I will never have any other breed of dog other than a bully at my side because there is nothing like bully love.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree with everyone here, and Davidh and Riisi made excellent points. It's many times due to poor breeding, that there is so many health issues with our lovable breed. These are the ones that find our site, because they need help. Most people with healthy bullies will probably never find EBN. Sadly though, the number of puppy mills, backyard breeders and imported pups by far are greater than those that breed for good health and temperament.

With the exception of an eye ulcer, UTI and obstruction, mine rarely have seen a vet. So I agree the hardest part is knowing their life spans are not as long as others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

I understand. I thought Ruthie was just going to be a normal, healthy dog. We could deal with the potty issues she has but after a few months we started getting head tremors and then came the seizures. Yeah she has her problems, but the good with Ruthie outweighs any of the bad stuff. I love her with everything I have and I won't give up on her just because of her issues. I met a couple at dinner the other night with a bulldog and we started talking and they said "so what's your problems" I just said "Epilepsy, what's yours?" they said..."Skin" and we just started laughing. Bulldog owners are extremely special people with hearts of gold, because if you take care of these dogs the way you do, imagine how special other people in your life feel!!!! It's the reason I love this site so much!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Kevin as a parent of skin and fur kids all I can say is there are no guarantees in this life and we all should cherish what we have every single day. I know it is hard to look at your beautiful boy thinking the bottom may drop at any time, but I think it is better to have the experience and love of Baxter for as long as you can than to never have had it at all. I can tell that you are a deep thinking and feeling man just by your posts and your love for Baxter. All I can say is enjoy him and love him every single minute you can. I can honestly say that I will never have any other breed of dog other than a bully at my side because there is nothing like bully love.
    I completely agree with this post. There are no guarantees in life and we should make the best of what we have. We can always try to avoid things but, really, we're at the mercy of what we will ultimately receive.

Stiggy was suffering from allergies that we couldn't figure out. Being rookie paw-rents, we relied on what the vets say. After a couple of months of him getting hives all over his body and hot spots, My bf and I were discussing that maybe it was best to give him back to the breeder since he seemed so healthy there, without asking for any money back. But we found this site and with everyone's help, we found that it was all food related.

Now Punkin, he has problems that we can't really fix, but can maintain, he has weak hips and knees. He had a benign tumour removed and now warts on the lids of both eyes that require surgery. Although it saddens us to see him in such a state, his cheerful demeanor always reminds us to live each day to the fullest. Both of the boys show us this daily.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sheldon is really health for where he came from I agree with everyone else its knowing that one day I WILL lose him but like others have said I will ALWAYS have a bully at my side I will never have any other breed because there is no love like bully love they have an intuition that surpasses other breeds I think. It was in my research to make sure I was giving Sheldon the best I could that I found this site and I haven't looked back.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

So far, the hardest part of owning my Bully is the pain I feel when they knock me over... I've been getting good at stepping out of the way of a running bully as I found mine are not agile enough to stop before hitting the wall, the furniture, and ME!

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    So far, the hardest part of owning my Bully is the pain I feel when they knock me over... I've been getting good at stepping out of the way of a running bully as I found mine are not agile enough to stop before hitting the wall, the furniture, and ME!
    Completely agree with this too. I tripped over Stig and while I flew over him scabbing both knees when I landed, he, on the other hand, didn't even move or budge an inch. He just stood there like nothing happened.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

When I decided to introduce EBDs into our life I did tons of research on the breed; I have always had dogs and was doing rescue for Great Danes for many years before we got Amber and Ruby. Rescues came to me with a multitude of health and behavioral issues and may have prepared me for EBDs. In my opinion, they are just like children and there are no guarantees of what the future has in store for them. Some are healthy and just like children they can wake up one morning and have issues that never existed before. My grandson has autistic spectrum and can be a handful but when he looks into our eyes and gets something for the first time, that is the gift that just melts all of our hearts, the bullies to me are the same way. None of us have any guarantees and I am just thankful for the here and now. Both the good and the bad and worth it all, enjoy the moment of everyday is all I can say. Sometimes its tough but the tough stuff is what makes us grow. Good luck!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Completely agree with this too. I tripped over Stig and while I flew over him scabbing both knees when I landed, he, on the other hand, didn't even move or budge an inch. He just stood there like nothing happened.
    LOL!!! Yep! I've been through this too! Well... not bad enough to fly and scab both knees... But Bullie has this habit of laying behind me while I'm washing dishes.

I'm sure Stig did the same as Bullie when I fell backward landing on top of her and I rolled to my knees with my hands on my waist and stared at her, she raised her head, cocked her ears, and gave me this confused look that says, "What?".

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    This made me laugh hard; Ruby almost broke my leg in August, she ran up to me while I was coming through the door. I flew backwards and landed out the door and into the yard. My left leg was black and blue for several weeks and I am still experiencing a few pokes of pain from that tumble. lol; bullies do get going and have a hard time stopping.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

You know, there are NO guarantees in life-not for our fur babies, or us. My husband was a lot healthier than I -very active and in great shape for his age(as the Dr. had said to him 15 min. before....) in one split second-he was gone. Aside from that, Since we were first married, we always had horses, and usually 5 or 6 dogs at a time. We lost 3 dobermans-at a young age-two due to cardiomyopathy-one who had just gotten a clean "bill of health" that day-she died in her sleep the same night. Had a German Shepherd who died the night my husband died-she had a progressive seizure disorder. It would take a book to write the life-and death experiences I have had. both human and animal. Somehow, if we LOVE, we find a way to deal and survive these things-and deal-even when we think we can't. I know that Baxter has had a very hard time (so has his Daddy) and there are others on here who also have very trying times. Somehow I have survived alone, which shocks me, when I think about it...as I am such a coward. My husband was MY strength(and GOD) but here I am,still. I have learned that you can only take one day at a time, and get through that. My biggest worry is what will happen to my animals, when I am gone. I have asked my neices to give them homes,or to find homes for them-and have lately considered asking EBN, if they would be a contact for my nieces, if they need help. Some people may not have faith-or we all have our own faith-one thing that I repeated to myself every day, when I lost my "love of my life" was "I can do all things through Christ who strengthenenth me".One day at a time.That is all I can deal with. Sorry if this is too heavy............So it goes...
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

And on a lighter note.....If I am walking forward, and forget something-they are so close behind me, when I turn around to go back-I trip over them! And they sometimes walk in front of me-anticipating WHERE I am going! AND crash into me, when they are Playing! Like someone threw a cinderblock at me! Have to put clean water in the bowls 5 times a day (slobber and dirt..) LOVE a BULLIE! People are afraid of them. I can't contain them -because they LOVE people!! I love 'em all (not so much the people...) not referring to EBNers!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads