Taking Tonka to the snow, anything to prepare.

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
First, I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I am taking Tonka to the mountains next month, and there will be snow. He's only going outside to do his business and maybe play for 20 mins outside. Is there anything I should buy for him to make him feel comfortable with the snow? Jacket? Boots? Paw cream? This is our first time out there and I just want to make sure he isn't too cold or gets sick. Thanks in advance.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would get him a winter waterproof jacket, Some dogs will wear boots, some won't(I never used them) but you would have to check his feet, when you come in and make sure he has no iceballs between his pads. Make sure you have a couple of towels, to dry him off when he comes in. There is a paw protectant-but he will not be out in the snow that much, so he shouldn't need that. Oh yes, and a hot toddy(for you!):cheers: Have fun! Someone who lives in the "high coountry" may have some other ideas! There are nice jackets that have the piece under the belly, too, so his underside won't get cold!

Last edited:

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
My guys love the snow, and we get a lot of it! If it's really cold then they will wear a fleece to keep them warm, but if it's not too cold then they just go out with nothing on. They never wear booties but I always make sure to clean their paws and dry them right when we come in from playing in the snow! :)

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I would make sure you wipe the paws after coming in..just in case there was salt put down on the sidewalks. Have a fun trip!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
All I can think of is maybe a coat or a sweater for Tonka. Have fun and take lots of pics!! :D

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I live in in a snowy area.. and i have never had a dog that didn't like snow.

Coats and sweaters are great but make sure they don't get wet!! You wouldn't like being out in the cold in wet clothing and your dog is no different. Molly is what i like to call a "Jump 'n scooper"... She jumps into the snow then scoops her head under and tries to dig a tunnel. Her sweaters/coats get packed with snow quickly!

The trick is to limit their time in the cold and then dry them off quickly when they come inside. Make sure ice/snow doesn't get packed into their paws (not a big issue with our short haired EB's) and make sure they don't get cuts on their paws on any sharp ice.

Molly l.o.v.e.s a good romp in the snow followed by a long nap by the fireplace.

Enjoy the snow!

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
My Tonka looooves the snow. It's been getting to about -15celsius here lately and in the middle of winter can get to -40! Not my fav.... He has a custom LariP camo fleece which is more for me than him lol. He could care less. Our issues on walks are his feet. When a 65lb bully decides they're too cold and he stops in the middle of the road and rolls on His back with his feet in the air...people will laugh and he's pretty heavy lol. I have tried boots and whatnot...he won't keep anything on his feet... So we shorten his walks depending on temperature...sometimes mom guesses wrong...sometimes I think Tonka is just being a jerk lol. When he stops I just hunker down with him and pick him up in my lap so he feet are against me. You get some looks sometimes lol but it's that or carry him home. I'll do that for about 2 or 3 minutes and he usually wiggles out and continues on his merry way running through the snow and we head for home walking a little quicker, we're never too far away anyway as we usually just do a loop. I have found that about 0 Celsius or 32 F is when Tonka is at his best. He would walk all day I am sure, he doesn't get too hot or too cold. He runs all over and plows the snow with his nose and rolls balls in it lol. I don't think you should have an issues with how Long your planning on being in the stuff lol. Just have FUN with the new experience!! Just make sure to wipe his paws and keep him dry after like everyone has said :)

One word of caution about snow: Always be aware of what could be underneath it. He's gone full out running across a field and gone down in a big puff of snow because he fell in a gopher hole. We don't want any broken legs. Also, a new one I learned yesterday... He was sniffing around like crazy as per the usual and came back up with AN ENTIRE PIECE OF PIZZA!!! Not an easy task the get mystery pizza out of a lock jawed bullies mouth with gloves on let me tell you! (For the record I managed to get half of it back when he opened his mouth because he bit down on my finger I had shoved on there with the pizza. And I yelled lol).

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My guys love the snow, and we get a lot of it! If it's really cold then they will wear a fleece to keep them warm, but if it's not too cold then they just go out with nothing on. They never wear booties but I always make sure to clean their paws and dry them right when we come in from playing in the snow! :)

This is totally random… I just LOVE your avatar pic!!! Perfect bully pose… LOL

I have never really had coats for my dogs, they just freeze when I put it on them.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
This is totally random… I just LOVE your avatar pic!!! Perfect bully pose… LOL

Thank you! She has mastered the art of taking a quick snooze in any position lol! :)

HandsomeUlysses

Aug 13, 2013
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
My Tonka looooves the snow. It's been getting to about -15celsius here lately and in the middle of winter can get to -40! Not my fav.... He has a custom LariP camo fleece which is more for me than him lol. He could care less. Our issues on walks are his feet. When a 65lb bully decides they're too cold and he stops in the middle of the road and rolls on His back with his feet in the air...people will laugh and he's pretty heavy lol. I have tried boots and whatnot...he won't keep anything on his feet... So we shorten his walks depending on temperature...sometimes mom guesses wrong...sometimes I think Tonka is just being a jerk lol. When he stops I just hunker down with him and pick him up in my lap so he feet are against me. You get some looks sometimes lol but it's that or carry him home. I'll do that for about 2 or 3 minutes and he usually wiggles out and continues on his merry way running through the snow and we head for home walking a little quicker, we're never too far away anyway as we usually just do a loop. I have found that about 0 Celsius or 32 F is when Tonka is at his best. He would walk all day I am sure, he doesn't get too hot or too cold. He runs all over and plows the snow with his nose and rolls balls in it lol. I don't think you should have an issues with how Long your planning on being in the stuff lol. Just have FUN with the new experience!! Just make sure to wipe his paws and keep him dry after like everyone has said :)

One word of caution about snow: Always be aware of what could be underneath it. He's gone full out running across a field and gone down in a big puff of snow because he fell in a gopher hole. We don't want any broken legs. Also, a new one I learned yesterday... He was sniffing around like crazy as per the usual and came back up with AN ENTIRE PIECE OF PIZZA!!! Not an easy task the get mystery pizza out of a lock jawed bullies mouth with gloves on let me tell you! (For the record I managed to get half of it back when he opened his mouth because he bit down on my finger I had shoved on there with the pizza. And I yelled lol).
Omg, the first time that this happened to Ulysses yesterday, I panicked. Its his first winter as he was too young to remember last year. We had a giant snowfall in toronto a couple of days ago. I took him out to play in the snow, he loved it. And then, he just sat down, lifted his foot and wouldnt budge. I was so scared, and lifted him up immediately and tried to run home. He is 40 lbs and I must have looked ridiculous. I didnt know what was wrong. Ive been doing searches here to find out and saw your experience. Ill try what you did when it happens again. Thank you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks LOVES the snow.... not jacket, coat, botts, nothing she just loves to be out playing in it.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Omg, the first time that this happened to Ulysses yesterday, I panicked. Its his first winter as he was too young to remember last year. We had a giant snowfall in toronto a couple of days ago. I took him out to play in the snow, he loved it. And then, he just sat down, lifted his foot and wouldnt budge. I was so scared, and lifted him up immediately and tried to run home. He is 40 lbs and I must have looked ridiculous. I didnt know what was wrong. Ive been doing searches here to find out and saw your experience. Ill try what you did when it happens again. Thank you.

His feet are just cold. You just have to be careful between "cold and he's not used to It" and way too cold. I try to shorten our walks depending on the temp and when I lift him up to warm his feet I always wait until he is ready to get down. Tonka is 65lbs now and O think the last time I carried him on one of our walks he was 55....people do laugh lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.