Scared Bully

HoochsMom

May 20, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Good Morning all fellow bully owners, My bully Hooch has decided that he is scared of the hardwood flooring...........he won't walk on it!!! But to go to the front door, he must!! Any suggestions??? I need help here!!!! Thanks in advance. :-)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh boy… did he slip & fall on it? I would suggest putting some throw rugs down… at least till he gets over this phobia. :blink: Keep us posted!!!

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Oh my, I can so relate to having a scared bully. Mayhem is scared of so many things. I run a business from my home and UPS deliveries are common. Mayhem was always scared of the boxes (or anything out of place for that matter). Since Mayhem LOVES peanut butter, I sat a box in the middle of the floor, near the door he has to go out to potty and smeared a little peanut butter on it. It took him several minutes to make his way over, but he finally did and licked the peanut butter off of the box. After repeating this a few times, he began to immediately go to lick the peanut butter off. Now he is a little timid around boxes, but he will walk around them. I know you might not want to put peanut butter on your floors, but it might work if you entice him with his favorite treat and gradually work your way to the door.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Baxter develops new fears of things on a weekly basis. Usually loud noises or shadows.

The best thing you can do, is to get down on their level, and take them very carefully to the thing which scares them. Reassure them, and show them its not scary. It will take some time. With new objects I have to work with baxter about 10 solid minutes. It helps for me to go to the object and touch it, or mess with it physically. Sit on it, in your case. Lay down on it, and call him over. Slowly nudge both of you while sitting, onto the floor. Then get him comfortable with it.

Its a lot of work. But it works. May have to do it a few times. These dogs are a lot of work, period. Its what we signed up for :)

PS: this also matches something Cesar Milan says on his site. If your dog is afraid of something, its important for you as the pack leader to slowly lead him to it, and show him that he can be confident around it. He says your dog will bond with you because of it, and apparently will be aware that you've built his confidence. That line always stuck with me so I try to intentionally bring baxter to things he fears, and work with him until he's confident.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Good Morning all fellow bully owners, My bully Hooch has decided that he is scared of the hardwood flooring...........he won't walk on it!!! But to go to the front door, he must!! Any suggestions??? I need help here!!!! Thanks in advance. :-)
im just curious if this is a new fear. Have you had hardwood floors all along or were they just installed?

OP
HoochsMom

HoochsMom

May 20, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Thanks for your reply..........No this is not new flooring. He has been walking on it for months now. Then he just decided this last weekend that he doesn't like it anymore. I suspect he may have fell when I was not home and is now scared of it. Do you think the non slip socks would work for us?? Thanks

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for your reply..........No this is not new flooring. He has been walking on it for months now. Then he just decided this last weekend that he doesn't like it anymore. I suspect he may have fell when I was not home and is now scared of it. Do you think the non slip socks would work for us?? Thanks

If he'll wear them Buster refuses to wear socks. I think he'll get used to the flooring after time, throw rugs is a great idea like [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] pointed out.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon doesn't like our floor but it's because he can't get traction on it but he does't shy away from walking on it. The throw rug idea is a good idea. If you put socks on Hooch that will require video or pics LOL

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Keeping his nails as short as possible would also help. I had this problem with Angus and so I let him chase frisbees in the cement basketball court which filed his nails all the way short. He gets scared of the clicking noise his nails make on the wood floor!

He is also scared of metal scraping noise... so he can't wear his name tags when eating because it would clang on his metal bowl and then he won't touch his food with a 10-foot pole. Same thing if we put the bowl on bare floor... we don't have non-skid bowls, so when the bowls slide over the floor it makes the clanging sound and he's off! I put his bowl on a rubber placemat...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How about a paper plate on a string, with some of his FAVORITE thing to eat? Put the plate in front of him,let him eat a piece. Add another piece, and slowly,quietly drag the plate. Maybe he will follow it.:happy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I used to work at a dog daycare and there were about 5 dogs (all different breeds) that just HATED the tile flooring, no reason they just do not like it and we would have to walk the very slow along the wall when leaving for the day. it is strange but the one dog, Angus, just one day started it out of the blue and we never figured out why

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Keeping his nails as short as possible would also help. I had this problem with Angus and so I let him chase frisbees in the cement basketball court which filed his nails all the way short. He gets scared of the clicking noise his nails make on the wood floor!

He is also scared of metal scraping noise... so he can't wear his name tags when eating because it would clang on his metal bowl and then he won't touch his food with a 10-foot pole. Same thing if we put the bowl on bare floor... we don't have non-skid bowls, so when the bowls slide over the floor it makes the clanging sound and he's off! I put his bowl on a rubber placemat...

I would never have thought of that! Great idea!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Most Reactions