Introducing new puppy to 18 mo old male

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
Hello! We decided to bring a new addition into our family for our beloved Chancho. Chancho is such a sweetheart and never has shown any aggression or dominance. He is the sweetest boy and thought it would be good to have a buddy.....of course we also miss those puppy days :tongue: We picked up our new bundle of joy yesterday. So far Chancho just stares at her like "what is this?" He's also trying to stand over her. Is this considered him showing his dominance? We are ministering their every move. Does any have any advice on introducing a new pup to their existing?

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I have no advice to give or experience with this but I wanted to say congrats! And we want to see pics!!

OP
pinkerbell81

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
tahaguve.jpg
here's a pic of their first meeting :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Your bullies are very good looking! My advice would be-as you are doing, keep a close eye on them. I have all females, and mine always accept a new one. I h ave never had a problem introducing a new pup, even when I did have a male. But you know your dog better than anyone-so you just watch for "signs". Standing over the pup, is a sign of dominance, but not necessarily aggression. Is y our dog posessive of his toys?, his food? Has he ever been around other dogs? In the photo, it looks like all is well-but you need to watch-any growls from your older dog-I always tell mine-that's a baby dog-don't you hurt the baby.....Normally, many people introduce the dogs on "neutral territory", but you already have the pup at home-so just watch and listen. And if they do get along and play-you always have to make sure the big one doesn't get too rough on the baby. Best of luck with your "kids!" Also, make sure that your older one still gets his reg. routine and his attention that he is used to-so he doesn't get jealous!

Last edited:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Ah...so cute. No advice, but just wanted to say congratulations and good luck with your new baby. I bet Chancho will be a good boy!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Give it time. My older boy was just a little over 2 years old when we got a new pup. It took about two weeks for him to totally except his new brother. It could be easier for you cause they're different sex, but I advice you to put the older one first in everything you do. Our younger one is much more dominant in nature than our older boy, but they have a very good relationship, even though the older is very clearly in charge. The older one needs to be the dominant one and there is nothing wrong in him showng it as long as he is not hurting the pup.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just keep an eye on them, because once he gets used to her he will want to play and play too rough. Let the pup only play for short periods of time and she is still a pup and needs her rest. Him standing over her is a dominance thing and when you see him doing it tell him know and make him move. This will show him, that is not acceptable behavior. She is a cutie for sure and looking forward in watching her grow along with him.

OP
pinkerbell81

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
Thanks everyone! Chancho is starting to come around. He lets her play with his toys and even jump on his head...he just lays there lol he is still trying to stand over her but walks away once we tell him to move.

Whew! Even though it wasn't that long ago I totally forgot the puppy days of accidents, no sleeping through the night, shark teeth, and more accidents!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
pinkerbell81

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
Your bullies are very good looking! My advice would be-as you are doing, keep a close eye on them. I have all females, and mine always accept a new one. I h ave never had a problem introducing a new pup, even when I did have a male. But you know your dog better than anyone-so you just watch for "signs". Standing over the pup, is a sign of dominance, but not necessarily aggression. Is y our dog posessive of his toys?, his food? Has he ever been around other dogs? In the photo, it looks like all is well-but you need to watch-any growls from your older dog-I always tell mine-that's a baby dog-don't you hurt the baby.....Normally, many people introduce the dogs on "neutral territory", but you already have the pup at home-so just watch and listen. And if they do get along and play-you always have to make sure the big one doesn't get too rough on the baby. Best of luck with your "kids!" Also, make sure that your older one still gets his reg. routine and his attention that he is used to-so he doesn't get jealous!

No he's not possessive of his toys or food. He loves to be around other dogs and is always first to meet with his head down letting them know he is no threat. My only fear is this little one bulldozes over him once she gets big. We can already tell she's a little spitfire and needs us to teach her it's not okay to bully her big brother :p Chancho is our first baby and I could never forget about him no matter how cute our new baby is lol it's so exciting to have two bundles of wrinkles in our home!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Ellie was a year and a half old and Jagger was only about 6 months old when I brought Ellie home. Jagger fell in love instantly. Like others have said just watch them when they are together. We've had Ellie for about 3 months now and aren't having any problems except Jagger still tries to play too rough at times. We just make him stop. Ellie has never been rough. It just takes time.

Good luck and congrats on the new fur baby!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.