Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I've just started the allergy shots for my frenchie mix. It's too early to see any changes but I really hope there is some relief for him in the future. He doesn't have food allergies (but we are still feeding them Fromms pork and peas because the quality if food is just better).

In conjunction with the shots we still need to give him oral meds (atopica) and a topical med (medicated shampoo). Again like others mentioned the vet said it would take about a year to see any results. One of our problems is we are a military family so we are moving soon next year so he will then be exposed to other things he is allergic to so we may need to start this process over again. Totally will be worth it if he starts growing his fur back around his chest and neck again.

I rehomed a bully with skin & fur problems and after other food trials
put him on Avoderm's Grain Free kibble. In about 3 months his fur had
filled in the bald spots, thickened up all the thinning areas and become
shining & full with less shedding and the white just glowed!

You might add avocado to his Fromms as that is what it's based on.
Give a couple of slices twice a day as a topper, about a half total.
Do not be afraid of myths they are poison to dogs, just don't give pits.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh and the skin eruptions went away, his eye goobers stopped
and his terrible gas stopped (thank god). Good luck & GOD bless!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly

I rehomed a bully with skin & fur problems and after other food trials
put him on Avoderm's Grain Free kibble. In about 3 months his fur had
filled in the bald spots, thickened up all the thinning areas and become
shining & full with less shedding and the white just glowed!

You might add avocado to his Fromms as that is what it's based on.
Give a couple of slices twice a day as a topper, about a half total.
Do not be afraid of myths they are poison to dogs, just don't give pits.

Thanks for the tip! Sully loves avocado so we will start trying this in his food on a reg basis. My husband is actually working on a business development plan with the owner of avocado farms right now so we might have an in for a free supply :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus has spots like this on his chin. I thought it was acne. I bought the doux pads and it seems to help. Could it be allegies? He doesn't have spots anywhere else and it doesn't bother him.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus has spots like this on his chin. I thought it was acne. I bought the doux pads and it seems to help. Could it be allegies? He doesn't have spots anywhere else and it doesn't bother him.

On another thread, someone posted their bully got chin acne until
they switched from stainless steel bowls to ceramic. Bullies are so
sensitive and perhaps the nickel in the steel caused allergy?

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
well we go to the vets friday, I'm going to ask about the allergy shots, i'm just so stressed over it i hate seeing my baby's paws so red and swollen and his face red and bumpy!! I don't think it bothers him as much as it bothers me lol but i know he is itchy. ugh i hope this vet appointment has success, because if not i may go off the deep end /:

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
well we go to the vets friday, I'm going to ask about the allergy shots, i'm just so stressed over it i hate seeing my baby's paws so red and swollen and his face red and bumpy!! I don't think it bothers him as much as it bothers me lol but i know he is itchy. ugh i hope this vet appointment has success, because if not i may go off the deep end /:

Katie, if Chesty has yeast, you may have to go potato free too.

Have you tried the foot wash with white vinegar/hydrogen peroxide
yet?

It is frustrating but hang in there, once solving the issue, it's all good!

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman went through a really bad time with allergies. He eats Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison, and nothing else. His treats are his kibble. He drinks only filtered water. Crazy, but when I limited his diet to one thing and no water from the tap, his problems cleared up. I also wipe his face, and wrinkles with Duoxo wipes which I get from Amazon. I use the mildest detergent I can find for his bedding and I keep his away from rubber toys. I know it's a lot. But, it worked. Good Luck!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Has your Vet tried a course in Prednisone? Of course one doesn't want to give or take prednisone for a long course but in some cases in may be of help. I decided to change Veterinarians a few weeks back, the first Vet I liked but the office personal didn't manage things well, they goofed up on several things over the course of taking my dog there and the last time they screwed up I decided to switch Vet and I like the new Vet and competency of the office staff. Anyway it was just going to be for a check up and fecal test and and a few other questions but about two days before going to the Vet Ace started showing a bit of lameness off and on and so of course I asked the Vet to check Ace out on that and I also noticed what looked like an interdigital furnucle between his toes that could possibly be the problem. The Vet manipulated his shoulders and legs and stated that they seemed fine and looking at the foot as well. I also had noticed that the back of Ace's head between the wrinkles would look blood red beneath the coat at times as well. The Vet diagnosed it as most likely a seasonal and/or environmental allergy and prescribed Prednisone and 20mg for a 15 day course. The first night I gave Ace a 20mg tablet and the next morning going out for the first potty trip he peed like a Georgia racehorse, I have never seen him pee for such a long period at one time and he followed that up with peeing about 4 more times in the next 20 minutes or so. One of the side effects for dogs on prednisone is increase thirst and water intake and increased urination. I did some research and decided to cut the dose to 5 mg's so broke the tablet up in quarters. In the first day the improvement was remarkable and continued to improve. Within the first couple of days there was no lameness or limping and all the red practically disappeared. The redness or lack thereof has never been better on his belly, thighs and underneath his coat on the top of his head. I will probably cease the medication on this Thursday or Friday as it will have been 15 days on treatment even though at a reduced level of medication.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
On another thread, someone posted their bully got chin acne until
they switched from stainless steel bowls to ceramic. Bullies are so
sensitive and perhaps the nickel in the steel caused allergy?
Yes I did switch to ceramic as soon as it was suggested. It has only been approx. A week so I'm hoping it will clear up

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=9888]Katielyn[/MENTION] I got Bubba allergy tested a while back and I'm so glad I did! I have pet ins for him, so that helped a lot with the cost. Although he has some environmental allergies ( grass, dust ) I also found out what and what not need to feed him. He is allergic to salmon ( was giving him salmon oil), lamb (which I was feeding him) and peas. Peas are in almost every dog food!! the only really good dog food that didn't have any of these was Fromm, Chicken a la Veg. I was tired of doing the guessing game about what foods to feed him and this gave me a good direction to go in!

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Sorry it's takin me so long to get back to you i've been so busy and my internet was down for a few days (not sure why) but the vets went alright they put him on an antibiotic ( I can't remember what one and frankly i'm to lazy to go down stairs to look) and they also put him on prednisone and zyrtec, it's clearing him up very well i actually seen results right away but now the test is to see how he looks once he's off everything for a few days if things come back the vet said there is a pill and I can't remember for the life of me what it is called but she said it works amazing for allergies and a lot of bull dogs are on it, but it is expensive but not nearly as much as allergy testing so that will be. So that pill will be the next step if this doesn't work. Also I finally decided that i'm getting chesty fixed i'm very nervous about this since i waited such a long time and i know the recovery process will be longer but hopefully it won't be to bad since he is 15 months old

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry it's takin me so long to get back to you i've been so busy and my internet was down for a few days (not sure why) but the vets went alright they put him on an antibiotic ( I can't remember what one and frankly i'm to lazy to go down stairs to look) and they also put him on prednisone and zyrtec, it's clearing him up very well i actually seen results right away but now the test is to see how he looks once he's off everything for a few days if things come back the vet said there is a pill and I can't remember for the life of me what it is called but she said it works amazing for allergies and a lot of bull dogs are on it, but it is expensive but not nearly as much as allergy testing so that will be. So that pill will be the next step if this doesn't work. Also I finally decided that i'm getting chesty fixed i'm very nervous about this since i waited such a long time and i know the recovery process will be longer but hopefully it won't be to bad since he is 15 months old

He will be fine at 15 months for neuter... is the new med something like atopica (i think that is how it is spelled)

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] yes I'm almost positive that is it. We haven't started it but we will if what he is on now does not work.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.