How to get two bulldogs to play together?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How do I get Finn to play with Tate? I would love for them to frolic together and play tug-o-war, and chase each other around the house. That rarely, if ever, has happened. They will playfully wrestle with one another sometimes but that lasts only a few minutes and will usually end with Finn becoming quite mad at Tate and then a fight might occur.

Every night after dinner I'm the one that gets on all fours, chasing Tate around, playing tug-o-war, barking at him, being his playmate. Basically, I'm like the 3rd bulldog! (I hope all that didn't sound too weird) :w00t:

Meanwhile Finn, who is more introverted, will be sucking on his football and not wanting to share his toys with Tate.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how these two can becoming better playmates or is this just not in their nature and something that cannot be forced?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nature.... Nitschke and Banks were the same way. Cheli annoys Banks into playing when they are outside, but it last maybe 5 mins and she is done with him

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I think it's all personality. Matilda would LOVE to have a playmate. She is obsessed with every dog she sees and anytime we're around doggie friends, all she wants to do is play. Some dogs (like some people) are just introverts!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, it just the way it is, some like to play and some don't. Lucy doesn't play with the others, except on a rare occasion.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have four in the house. Three of them play-Sometimes I wish they wouldn't so much-but they are young! The fourth one will play when she feels like it-and then she will go off by herself. Many of my photos have 3 dogs in them, because she is usually away from the rough-housing! All dogs are different, and sometimes differences in ages might be part of it, also.Mine are fairly young-but one just is not much of a playa! They are who they are-and better not to play-than to FIGHT!!! Have fun MAMA BULLIE-fetch!! ha!ha!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bella would tolerate Winston for a bit, but she got tired of it... Roxie & Winston will play for awhile, but she gets tired of him nipping at her long legs! A lot of times I start out playing catch w/them, and then they play on their own. It may just be their temperament... Do they like to play w/the same toys?!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions