Cold weather and bullies

TLindstrom

Oct 12, 2013
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spartacus
I am a newer bully owner and have seen a lot regarding their sensitivity to heat. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The winters here can get quite cold and we live in a very open area (a lot of wind, snow, very cold). Should I be concerned for our bully more than our other dogs? We have sweaters and coats for our mastiff mix and our lab mix doesn't really require or like coats or anything on. Are bullies really sensitive to the cold? I don't want him to freeze but also don't want to cause him to overheat.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Bullies can be sensitive to the cold, I put fleeces and jackets on them in the winter since it does get really cold here as well. And if there is snow and ice on the ground I always dry their paws off after we come in from being outside. Gio loves playing outside in the snow and cold so putting a fleece on him allows him to stay out longer! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some bulldogs can be... just like people some like or don't like it. My girl, could not care any less about cold or heat. She does not like the rain, but LOVES the snow.
Our Frenchie... HATES the cold and does not do well in it so we have sweater/jacket for him.
[MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] is also in Michigan and might be able to give a little more insight with how Mabel does

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Here in TN we have some chilly days…
I have jackets for my boxer & bulldog… but I only use them on the super cold days. We get ice storms here, and some horrid winds...

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
It gets cold here in West Virginia but Jenna will not wear a jacket, the cold doesn't seem to bother her at all. I do cut the walks short though, I'll also put vasaline on her paws when it's real cold

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
no experience as we are newer dog bullie owners too but live in NC so not much of a winter here! HOWEVER, I love the UP!!! Grew up downstate, but took trips up to sault ste. marie every year for a fishing trip!!! where about are you at? We went to other places as well but Sault ste marie was our mainstay!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We live in Canada, and it can get quite cold here too. We have sweaters and a coat for our two guys, but we only use them when we go on longer walks, if we go out just to go potty, then we don't put their jackets on. They don't 100% like being dressed, and will sometimes fight us while we put them on, but once they are on, their okay. Blossom is better than Dozer when it comes to clothes.

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Sorry if this is considered hijacking a thread but I would love to see what people are using for jackets for their bully. Mine was a tiny pup last year so finding something that fit wasn't too bad. By the end of the winter he just had to rough it because he out grew all of his jackets.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We live in uk -not as cold here so lily is using child T-shirts in the house ,and cardigans outside -im yet to find a jacket that will fit her fat neck without being to long

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven loves the snow and the cold doesn't' seem to bother her at all. Granted she only gets to play for a short time and we don't take walks as she is able to just go potty in the backyard. I do make sure to wipe her up with a warm towel when she comes in.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Otis - Blizzard Photo.jpgThis jacket is from LL Bean - we bought it last year and surprisingly it fits this year - the good thing with them is you can return items for any reason and they are 100% guaranteed.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
I am going to have to buy something for Gunny. He is not liking to go outside to do his thing. It has only been in the 50's and it is only going to get colder.

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
View attachment 59623This jacket is from LL Bean - we bought it last year and surprisingly it fits this year - the good thing with them is you can return items for any reason and they are 100% guaranteed.

I love LL Bean. Thanks for this. Jagger has a sweater that fits very well. But Ellie's chest is so wide I can't fine anything to fit. We have bought a few sweaters meant for bulldogs but none of them fit.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We're in Muskegon, on the west coast of MI. Mabel seemed to do OK in the cold last year. She loved eating the snow and didn't mind being out in it. She was new to us, so we'll see how she does this year. I have a nice hoodie for her when it gets really cold.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online