Bullysitting vs. Boarding???

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Definitely agree with everyone else. Your niece is beautiful and I will be praying / sending good thoughts for her.

I would have to agree with everyone that a bully staying at home is going to be far less stressful than boarding him. Good luck with everything and keep us updated :)

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
The week of Thanksgiving we are traveling to New Orleans to see my niece in the Children's Hospital. She was diagnosed with Non Hodgskins Lymphoma, she is currently being treated with chemo, radiation and blood transfusions.
Normally, I would take Ellie and Jagger with me when I travel only, Destiny cannot be around them. She is severely allergic and has no immune system. And we will be spending a lot of time at the hospital. I do not want them at the hotel by themselves.

My best friend has offered to stay at my house and keep them. Which I like the idea but I don't know if she can handle them....
Ellie and Jagger are not mean but a real handful. I trust this person a lot. I know she would love and take care of them.
I just don't know if she can handle 2 bulldogs for like 5 days.

My vet has made me a special offer for them to be boarded at their office.
That they would make sure of food, medicine, and Ellie's skin care.
But I don't know if they would take very well to that. Jagger has never been anywhere new that he wasn't with me. I can count on one hand how many nights he has not slept in bed with me.
Ellie has been through so much, will it shock and terrify her? Since, I got her she has never spent a night away from our house.
Also, I don't want them to be stuck in a kennel all day.

I am really struggling with this..... I would like for them to just stay at home but not sure if that is really the best choice.
I really worry about this stuff way too much.

Jennye, In my opinion you've raised a valid concern we all must face. I live in Slidell, and work in New Orleans every day. Let me first assure you of one thing, New Orleans and St. Tammany Parish people as a whole, are only interested in money, rather than care of your pet. They will not discharge a pet from Care on days closed or after business hours on days worked. When I lived in Cape Canaveral Florida, I used my veterinarian in Melbourne to board my Cocker Spaniels, and felt comfortable in doing so, and of course we talked daily, But i had a special needs Cocker Spaniel they had worked with a lot, and I knew the care they received their. MySelf Personally, I have my daughter who lives close, She had Pitt Bulls, and these babies are true babies, so loving and well trained as they should be when properly cared for, and she stops by and walks mine, and feeds them on days I'm working. I am doing some boarding investigating this morning on your behalf, as Slidell is 30 minutes from Childrens Hospital, and I know how you feel. I'll be working the week of Thanksgiving, and off the Day of, but going back to work the next day after Thanksgiving, or I would love to Volunteer to help you. But remember if I wouldn't do it myself, I wouldn't recommend it to you, it's just who I am. My Vets office this morning is checking to see the options of me boarding my two Boys through Thanksgiving, and from that I'll do some research and send the information to you, If you would like?

sillyheadbon

Mar 8, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie Roll Schmitt
I agree with "Manydogs" - if you give your friend the option to board them if they prove to be too much for her, I'm sure it will all work out. I stress about leaving my pup when I am gone as well - I have had a friend stay with her for a week this summer, and they both did fine. I have also boarded her at a "no cages" doggie place which was great for a few days, but I doubt I would leave her there for more than 3-4 days tops. I am having my dog trainer come and stay with her over the Christmas holidays (all my family is in Indiana and I am in Arizona!). Chances are all will be fine with your friend. :yes:Have her FaceTime or Skype with you if you can to see the dogs while you are gone! Prayers for you darling niece!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9016]JennyeStear[/MENTION] I'm wondering if Doggy Daycare is an option in New Orleans? This way, you can drop them off in the morning, then pick them up in the evening after visiting your niece. They'll have fun playing with other pups during the day, but they'll still be with you at night. And by the time you pick them up, they'll be so tired from running around all day, they won't even care they're not home.

Just giving you another option.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jennye, In my opinion you've raised a valid concern we all must face. I live in Slidell, and work in New Orleans every day. Let me first assure you of one thing, New Orleans and St. Tammany Parish people as a whole, are only interested in money, rather than care of your pet. They will not discharge a pet from Care on days closed or after business hours on days worked. When I lived in Cape Canaveral Florida, I used my veterinarian in Melbourne to board my Cocker Spaniels, and felt comfortable in doing so, and of course we talked daily, But i had a special needs Cocker Spaniel they had worked with a lot, and I knew the care they received their. MySelf Personally, I have my daughter who lives close, She had Pitt Bulls, and these babies are true babies, so loving and well trained as they should be when properly cared for, and she stops by and walks mine, and feeds them on days I'm working. I am doing some boarding investigating this morning on your behalf, as Slidell is 30 minutes from Childrens Hospital, and I know how you feel. I'll be working the week of Thanksgiving, and off the Day of, but going back to work the next day after Thanksgiving, or I would love to Volunteer to help you. But remember if I wouldn't do it myself, I wouldn't recommend it to you, it's just who I am. My Vets office this morning is checking to see the options of me boarding my two Boys through Thanksgiving, and from that I'll do some research and send the information to you, If you would like?

Oh this would help a lot. We are actually staying in Slidell. It's 30 minutes away from the children's hospital and about 40 minutes away from my brother's house in Pass Christian ( out in the swamp).

I would really like to bring them with me but cannot have them around Destiny.
I know Ellie would be much happier at home. 1-
She gets nervous easily in new situations 2- hates riding in the car. I am a little more a peace in knowing Cindy is going to stay here at the house with her daughter. My husband also likes the idea. He is a cop so there are not many people he would let stay in our house.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.