JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
The week of Thanksgiving we are traveling to New Orleans to see my niece in the Children's Hospital. She was diagnosed with Non Hodgskins Lymphoma, she is currently being treated with chemo, radiation and blood transfusions.
Normally, I would take Ellie and Jagger with me when I travel only, Destiny cannot be around them. She is severely allergic and has no immune system. And we will be spending a lot of time at the hospital. I do not want them at the hotel by themselves.

My best friend has offered to stay at my house and keep them. Which I like the idea but I don't know if she can handle them....
Ellie and Jagger are not mean but a real handful. I trust this person a lot. I know she would love and take care of them.
I just don't know if she can handle 2 bulldogs for like 5 days.

My vet has made me a special offer for them to be boarded at their office.
That they would make sure of food, medicine, and Ellie's skin care.
But I don't know if they would take very well to that. Jagger has never been anywhere new that he wasn't with me. I can count on one hand how many nights he has not slept in bed with me.
Ellie has been through so much, will it shock and terrify her? Since, I got her she has never spent a night away from our house.
Also, I don't want them to be stuck in a kennel all day.

I am really struggling with this..... I would like for them to just stay at home but not sure if that is really the best choice.
I really worry about this stuff way too much.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it's always a big worry for how our bully's are going to cope without us, and with a different routine than what they're used to. It basically comes down to your dogs personalities, and how they adapt and socialize to different situations, and to who you trust and feel comfortable with taking care of them. If your friend house sits with them at your house, then they are in familiar surroundings, and less likely to be stressed, they will have their regular routines, and familiar scenes, and beds. If you trust your friend, then this would be a good choice. Maybe you could try a trial night with your friend at the house before you go away, and see how she copes. Boarding them with your vet is also a good choice, as they would be in the care of a vet, medication and skin issues would be taken care of by an experienced vet, and his staff. But they would be out of their home and familiar surroundings. If you think they would be able to handle this without being stressed or scared then it is also a good option. Another option would be to let your friend babysit with Ellie, as she seems to be the one who would be more stressed and scared being in a strange place, and the vet can take care of Jagger, that way your friend would only have to take care of one and it might be easier for her to handle. That way both of them would be in good hands. I hope you find a solution that works for everyone, and you can travel without being too worried. I'm sure what ever you choose they will be in good hands either way, and they will be okay and adapt. Both options would leave them in responsible care. I hope you have a good visit, and I'm so sorry your niece is going through this, it must be very scary. I hope she handles and tolerates treatment okay, and feels better and beats this soon. Sending her love , hugs, and prayers her way.

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
First I am sorry that your family is going through this. I send love and prayers for a full recovery. Secondly, I agree with Monica, maybe a weekend trial where she can be primary care giver to see if it is too much to handle? I think Ellie might be stressed going somewhere new, How would they handle being separated? I think if your friend is willing to spend the weekend I would try that first if that doesn't work I would do the vet. Hope all goes well for you.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
I spoke with Cindy (friend). Her and I are very open with each other and I voiced my concerns to her. She said she will get Xanax if she has to. That one this should be a happy trip not stressful. Two the bulldogs are not being boarded or separated. She is worried about Ellie getting overly stressed out ( as am I). She said she really wants to do this. I am relieved but worried at the same time. Relieved that they will be at home and cared for. Worried about being gone for 5 days and not being the one at home with them. I know I worry too much. I just one of those people.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have a pet sitter come to our home any time we have to leave town. I don't trust boarding them. I would have her come and stay with them for a little while when you are home and see how she does with them.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have done both, by far having a pet sitter worked very well for me. Vegas was comfortable in his own home on his usual routine. I will never board again. My petsitter did an excellent job, and he was within his relm of comfort. A win/win situation.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:
I have done both, by far having a pet sitter worked very well for me. Vegas was comfortable in his own home on his usual routine. I will never board again. My petsitter did an excellent job, and he was within his relm of comfort. A win/win situation.
Yes and we all remember how much vegas loved Jennifer
:drool:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
How about if she stays over a day or two prior to you leaving that way they get comfortable with each other. That is what my sister did when she came to bullysit for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Cindy is at my house a lot and they know her well. I think what we are going to do is have her stay one night each week until we leave. Just so I can show her everything that gets done for them. Her and her daughter are going to stay. I think it will all be ok. I'm sure they will be fine.

It is all a little stressful. But I will do just about anything for this little girl. She has been through more struggles at the age of ten then what most will face in a lifetime.
a8ynany3.jpg

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I think the bully sitting will go well. Sending prayers for her. She is a beautiful little girl. Wishing her many healthy and happy years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
God bless your niece. Sending all the prayers I have for her recovery. Having her family around is so critical for her. I think you friend will be fine.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Your niece is a beautiful little girl, and can still smile-she is a brave one, too. Many prayers for her. I love my nieces like they are my girls. I think your friend who is willing to babysit, is the best way to go. She knows your dogs, and she will have help with her.The doggies will have pretty much their regular routine. Give her the option to board them while you are gone-if she can't handle it. I will bet she will have no problem at all and do a great job-and WANT to babysit again! Have a safe trip and no worry-your babies will be fine. We all think that we are the only ones who can do it-don't we?! I bet you will be proud of how good the "kids" will be for your friend. AND that is surely a TRUE friend. You are lucky to know her.And again, prayers for your sweet niece.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jennye, you are making the right decision, -- easier said than done is the not worrying once you leave. I have done both and can tell you the lesser worry is them at home with a trusted friend/relative. You will worry either way cause they are not with you, but they know your friend and as OCD as our Bully babies are, leaving them at home will be best for them and you.

Hugs and prayers to your niece, she is a beautiful little girl, I pray she makes a full recovery and lives a long and happy life.

:hug:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Prayers and love for your niece and your family. I agree, your friend as the pet sitter would be the way to go - there is no place like home.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Your niece is a beautiful young lady, so sorry to hear about her medical issuesā€¦ Sending prayers to you and the family!!!

As far as the boarding is concerned, I agree w/everyone that home sitting is much better. I have a good friend who happens to be a vet tech, and she lets my dogs run freely in her home. They love it there, and they love her dogs & cats!!! Boarding you run into issues as far as sick dogs being around your dogā€¦ and w/kennel cough, and viruses running around to me it's just NOT worth the worry!!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.