At the park - eating everything?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

Baxter hasn't had any opportunity to explore grassy areas since he was born, because we live in Miami, and its just been too hot since I got him in August.
Now its cooling down, and it is *pure bliss* for him to frolick in the grass.
However, he puts anything and everything in his mouth.
He will find an area of wood chips around the base of a tree and grab one and chew on it.

Is this okay? I simply can't keep pulling things out of his mouth. Should I let him do his thing, and eventually he will outgrow it, and not find it so enticing?

On our last outing he shoved in his mouth:

1) A cigarette butt
2) At least 6 different wood chips at 6 different intervals
3) A big tree seed on the ground, the size of a large marble
4) Palm tree branches which he'd rip apart and shake like crazy with his head, then chew
5) Anything growing in the ground longer than an inch

I haven't determined if he actually eats them or just chews.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups will be pups and like skin babies, put everything in their mouths. Don't let him chew on these things, as some things like different seeds can be toxic to dogs. They love chewing on wood, but it's bad on their intestines, so it's up to you to take these things away from him, and not let him chew on them. He will eventually out grow this some, but they will always try to pick something up. Ours love to pick up leaves and chew them, so we always take them away from them ,and off they go to find something else. Have fun and enjoy your pup, and get used to puppy slim on your fingers. LOL

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh the wonderful world of having a bullygoat. My guy eats anything he can get in his mouth. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of plants I have google since we have had Brutus to find out if they were poisonous. He is now going to be a year old on 11/19 and he for the most part leaves the plants in the yard alone. He takes all the wood we have for our fire pit and chews them, every leaf in the yard has his name on it, this is just to name a few. I think you have to pick your battles. I do not let him eat any kind of plant or seed but the wood logs I have given up on. It is not relaxing to be chasing after him the whole time we are outside. Good luck it is definitely an experience.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, this is not a good thing-but I am happy? to hear that others have this problem! I have two, who are bullie/fr, who seem to have pretty much quit eating stuff, except an occasional stick! On the other hand The two Eng. -one being 5 mo. and one turned a year in Oct. are non-stop "crap" eaters! Before they even get down the steps (only four steps) they have something in their mouth. A leaf, a stick, a bug????? There are so many trees and leaves, it is not possible for me to keep up! I am constantly saying "what are you eating?" "Don't EAT that", Give that to me!" I think they have PICA. These bullies are the only breed (except Siberian Huskies) that I've had, who don't grow out of the puppy eating junk stage!! Oh, yes, I have slimed fingers alot! AND they can hide stuff in those jowls pretty good! Always vigilant is the way I think you have to be! Never a dull moment!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston gets pretty crazy outside like that... Thankfully if I tell him to LEAVE IT he will spit it out (or at least try to... LOL). He eats grass which drives me NUTS but I give up on that one :stars:

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yes the jowls are a great hiding spot. Brutus thought he was so smart. I now have to run my fingers along his teeth to make sure nothing is in there.! Ugh!!

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Haha! Yes at first Daisy was like this too. Shes almost 8 months now and she has pretty much stopped exploring outside...Well except for leaves and bugs lol she loves those! But inside the house is a different story. Every article of clothing is her thing. lol Not that we let her, but she tries her hardest to get them.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yes the jowls are a great hiding spot. Brutus thought he was so smart. I now have to run my fingers along his teeth to make sure nothing is in there.! Ugh!!

Oh yeah! They thought they had me fooled.......I run my fingers all along the teeth, top and bottom-you could hide a boulder in there!!! ha!ha!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon loves sticks he use to chew on just anything but he doesn't like me sticking my fingers in his mouth fishing whatever he is chewing on out so he has pretty much quit but he loves to get the sticks and leaves outside and tries to bring them in. He always heard What are you chewing? What is in your mouth? Drop it! LOL

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:bulldog::crazy: Hi, lol. I can totally relate, my Dozer will eat anything that isn't nailed down. I definetely think we have Bully goats instead of Bully Dogs. My vet, who also has a bulldog, says its a bully trait, and they are known to do this. They either do it, or they don't. Her Bully eats rocks. My Dozer will go outside and he is constantly trying to eat rocks, sticks, grass, pinecones, leaves, and flying paper. His favourite items to eat inside the house is socks. He has eaten 3 socks in the last year and we are actually on plop watch right now for a sock he swallowed 3 days ago. I have to constantly tell him OFF or Drop IT, when we are walking outside, and I'm always pulling things out of his mouth, and my hands get slimy. Lol.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I hate to burst the bubble of legends BUT(or BUTT)...........I used to raise goats and they have a reputation for eating EVERYTHING but actually they are particular about what they eat! AND they don't eat tin cans-but will eat the paper label off the can! They like raspberry bushes, rosebushes,grass........they got the bad rep. but Bulliedogs are the ones who should have gotten it!!! I guess it's because bullies are just so loveabull and most goats aren't.............the bullies got by with it!

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
He is for sure being a bulldog puppy. Jagger is about 9 months old and still puts EVERYTHING in his mouth, but he eats it. We just had to make and ER visit cause he eats things he's not supposed to. Just be very careful and try to keep an eye on him as much as possible.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Awww i didnt want to ruin his fun.

He *seems* to keep things in his mouth versus swallow. Its hard to tell.

YES! he hides things in his cheeks ... sometimes for a long time too! Makes me laugh.

I don't mind the slime. More worried about the pain from digging around in there I inevitably get. Fortunately the shark teeth are slowly being replaced...

Honestly not sure I can keep on him 100%. We're talking every 30 seconds minimum...

Leaves seem safe? Baxter always goes for leaves and seems to just carry them around while galloping like a pony with his head held high .. lol

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it is ok if he gets leaves. I would be more worried about the cigarettes and stuff like that. Honestly you will make yourself crazy if you try to keep everything out of his mouth. I am glad it is cooling down enough for Baxter to enjoy the outdoors. It helps with their energy levels and makes for a peaceful night when they are exercised.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You are definitely not alone. Harlea loves to eat grass, leaves, sticks, bugs and geckos. Sticks and wood we do our best to get away from her but the grass and leaves not so much. She is a bullygoat for sure.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.