So when is too old to add on to your 4 legged family?

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
My current Bullie is 6 and has had us all to her self since we brought her home. Would it crush her to bring another Bullie into our home? We have been asked to take over ownership of another Bullie from a person that just can't keep them anymore. I don't want to crush her or hurt her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a 9 year old Boxer, and a 10 mos old bully!!! I would say it depends on your older bully's temperament... Roxie is VERY laid back, and likes other dogs. The only time I have an issue is when Roxie has had enough of puppy time, then I have to separate them. Have you ever put them together to see if they like each other?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If she gets along well with other bullies, she should be fine. I would let them meet at a neutral location and see how they get along.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i agree with david.... have them meet on neutral ground, take them for a walk together and see how they interact. May take a few times to get them to 'pack'... then bring them home together and be sure humans enter first, Nova and then the new pup

OP
Absnova

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
Thank you for the advice! It would be a dog that is older than two. Just wanting to do our part and help keep bullies in loving homes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the advice! It would be a dog that is older than two. Just wanting to do our part and help keep bullies in loving homes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the walks and giving them a chance to pack will help with the transition... if you bring the new dog right into your home, the current dog may not accept and there will be fights

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yup, it all depends on temperaments, the age is secondary. Punkin was 4 yo when he joined our family and Stiggy was 1.5 yo. We had to watch them non-stop for the first 2 weeks or so and separated them when no one's home. There were a few minor scuffles, but we're lucky that they both listen sorta well. They now act like brothers! Wrestle, steal each other's toys, annoy and clean each other.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:buddies2:Hi, I totally agree with everyone's ideas and suggestions. It depends on the personalities of the dogs, how well they get along with other dogs, if they have been exposed to other dogs, how well they are socialized, and how jealous or possessive they are. You want to get them together to meet in a neutral setting, and let them play together to see how they get along with each other, and then bring them together in the house to see how they do inside together. Good Luck, and I hope it works out for you, and you soon have a new addition to the family. Everyone should have more than one. Lol

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Walk are GREAT!!!! When I brought Ellie home I was questioning if I did the right thing. I took Jagger and Ellie on a doubles walk and it was great. They really liked the walk and they get the opportunity to focus on the walk and just be close without fear of the other. It rids them of the nervous energy I think.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My pitty Ace was 11 when we got Jack (a pitty too) and Jack was only 3 weeks older than Wilson. Both Wilson and Jack were 3 months old. Ace, my old guy was getting frail and his eye sight and hearing were starting to go. He also wasn't as strong as he used to be. Wilson was calm and Ace LOVED Wilson. The same could not be said for Jack. Jack was full of energy (still is) and has a nervous energy personality. He also moves fast. Ace also had Cushing's Disease. Ace tolerated Jack for a bit but soon began to go after him. As the time went on it became worse and poor Jack just didn't know what to do. I really think all the problems for us was due to Ace's overall health and not wanting to give up his lifetime dominance roll. So the only advice I can give really is to consider the health of Nova. But if she's overall healthy, they the flip side is that it'll help keep her more active too. Old needs young at times to help keep them moving.

OP
Absnova

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
She is health thank goodness. She has had a couple if surgeries already. Meniscus tear repair, palette cut, and cysts removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.