Cage eater

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
Need some help. My little Bullie has started a new habit. It is a bad one that I do not know how to stop. Two weeks ago she had an accident in her cage. She started to try and get away from the accident by biting on her wire cage. We if course cleaned her and the cage up. It wasn't her fault. After that every time she is in the cage while we are at work she works in the wire cage more. We get gone to a dried out pup that has slobber pooled in her cage. We are worried she is goof to hurt herself. We cannot leave her loose while we are at work. What to do?
ynyqa2ur.jpg
e7u5a7a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I'm sorry I have never had this issue w/my bullies... Whenever I leave Winston in his crate, I leave a Nylabone in there so he has something to chew on. Do you leave anything in the crate to keep her from getting bored? A Kong toy w/treats inside might keep her busy for awhile.

OP
Absnova

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
Yeah we put her nylabone in after she started this issue. But she leaves that alone. 😞

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yeah we put her nylabone in after she started this issue. But she leaves that alone. 

I would try the Kongs... you can put peanut butter in there & stuff that thing full!!! I have never heard of a bully trying to eat the wire's of the crate, but I'm sure someone on here has dealt w/that before!

OP
Absnova

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
It is worth a shot my husband is so angry about this issue. We love her to pieces but he hates coming home to her soaked and we are worried she will break her teeth!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this, and I also have never heard of a bully chewing the metal on the cage. A friend of mine, has a dog that used to chew on the plastic tray under the crate, and he ate pieces of it, but not the cage itself. Is this a new habit? I don't know what would cause him to suddenly do this, other than he might be bored, separation anxiety? If he's not a material swallower like blankets, pillows, or clothes, then maybe putting a shirt of yours with your scent on it might help? Could you put her in the kitchen, or another room that was safe for her, and with nothing for her to chew on, and gate it off? Maybe she would be okay if she had more freedom. You could try this on a day you were home, and see how she does. Good luck in finding a solution. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
WOW, it must be separation anxiety. Try putting her in the crate when you are home for short periods, if you see her chew on it tell her NO and give a chew toy. This will take time. Some others may have some better ideas to try.

OP
Absnova

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
Thank you for the ideas guys. This is a new habit she started. We only cage her while at work she has full reign if the house all the rest of the time. I can try a scented shirt Near it if we put in in there she pees on them. Done that since first crate day no matter what it is. So she gets bare crate tray.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
How long is your bully left in the cage? This definitely looks like separation anxiety/ boredom. Can you find a place that is not carpeted, and attach an xpen to the crate to allow more freedom? Maybe you could have someone come in throughout the day to walk her if she is in the crate more than a few hours. Just some suggestions.

OP
Absnova

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
She is in the cage from 630 to 345.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
It sounds like she is totally scared and stressed and having the accident in the crate has just put her "over the top" the pics you show would make me think that she is trying to "escape" more than anything. Maybe trying a different kind of crate??That is a very long time for a bully to be in a crate all by itself in my opinion. Could you have anyone come in just for a short time each day to take her out and spend a few mins playing with her? I know that is easier said than done but worth a try if you can. There are good treats out there that help calm your pet down. Ask your vet. A stressful situation for all of you.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How long is your bully left in the cage? This definitely looks like separation anxiety/ boredom. Can you find a place that is not carpeted, and attach an xpen to the crate to allow more freedom? Maybe you could have someone come in throughout the day to walk her if she is in the crate more than a few hours. Just some suggestions.
I agree with the idea of attaching a pen to the crate. Perhaps even a new crate-the doscocil (sp?) type,( maybe start anew?) and a pen that she could not knock down? If you have a pen attached-leave the crate door open. A new crate may help her "forget" what freaked her,and the pen would give her a little more freedom with a few tough toys. Kong(I have never tried) and Nylabone has some for heavy duty chewers. Being I have no dogsitters,or walkers here, I have had to get "creative!"
If I had all the $ I have spent-I could have a facelift from head to toe-and look great! BUT my dogs come first-so we ALL have "wrinkies!!!"

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I would shop around and see if they make a better crate. We have 2 crates. I've had one for over 15years now..its a lot stronger metal. The other one I got a few years ago and is made so cheep.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
YIKES.... stuffed Kongs, marrow bones, antlers, nylabones -- something she loves that will keep her busyt if awake. also, maybe a t-shirt with your scent on it will help calm her too

OP
Absnova

Absnova

Nov 1, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nova
We went and got a new crate today. Had her in it with us in the room praising her and letting her calm in it. Will see how it goes mid week. Normally she is so wore out from our weekend she doesn't start the signs of issues until Thursday or Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions