Frustrated....

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Why do people that shouldn't own dogs have them and then consider getting another one? I have friends that have a dog they don't even pay attention to and the wife HATES. so they are talking about getting another one. Smart move. AND they are thinking of buying one from craigslist. I tried to plead my case with them about the dangers of that but it went in one ear and out the other cause they both think they are right, so what's the point. Why even bother getting a dog when you can't even stand the one you have? I'm sorry, this kinda stuff frustrates me cause I wish people would be more concerned about the animal than their own selfish needs.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I know what you mean. A lot of people see dogs almost as an accessory. Something to have around that looks cute. They don't really understand the commitment needed for the dog to live a healthy and comfortable life. I joke with my friends saying how Rocco is worse than having a baby but in reality, it is! lol. I wake up early every day to walk and feed him, I always give him attention, buy him toys, medications if needed, vet visits, good food, etc. I care about his feelings and comfort level. I don't hit or mistreat him and treat him as I would a family member. I knew this going in though. It sounds like your friends don't care or understand that a dog can feel neglected, uncomfortable, unwanted, unloved, abandoned, hungry, thirsty, etc. They may just see the dog as an accessory or decoration that is there for their own amusement. And that is the problem with poor dog owners- They don't understand that a dog has feelings the same way a person does.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
I know what you mean. A lot of people see dogs almost as an accessory. Something to have around that looks cute. They don't really understand the commitment needed for the dog to live a healthy and comfortable life. I joke with my friends saying how Rocco is worse than having a baby but in reality, it is! lol. I wake up early every day to walk and feed him, I always give him attention, buy him toys, medications if needed, vet visits, good food, etc. I care about his feelings and comfort level. I don't hit or mistreat him and treat him as I would a family member. I knew this going in though. It sounds like your friends don't care or understand that a dog can feel neglected, uncomfortable, unwanted, unloved, abandoned, hungry, thirsty, etc. They may just see the dog as an accessory or decoration that is there for their own amusement. And that is the problem with poor dog owners- They don't understand that a dog has feelings the same way a person does.

I couldn't agree more, Matt! Gunny is like our third son and our boys do see him as a brother. It seems as though some people see dogs or pets in general as a novelty. The more exotic or rare the better. It makes me sick when I see this stuff.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Yep I agree with Matt too. Its not like it use to be. A pet is a member of the family now. You cant just buy a dog and expect your only expenses to be food. Its way more than that. I never realized that having one was so expensive. Im not complaining but if you take care of your pet right its not going to be cheap!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh this is a sore spot for me. Remember my post over the summer? We were at a family party and I asked a friend how their elderly dog was doing. Well I got the answer of a life time. She proceeded to roll her eyes and say how it is such a pain for them and she wished the dog would just fall down the stairs and break its neck already. :ohmy: I literally thought I was about to destroy decades of friendship (thank goodness the girl I was speaking to is the sister of the friend but still) and be thrown in jail for assault. My husband just politely got me out of there. Some people just don't get it.

flutrbyny

Sep 19, 2012
Laconia, New Hampshire, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassiopeia and Fernando
I can't agree more. It is awful how people want a dog, then ignore it. We knew people who had two terriers that they kept outside in the rain, snow, subzero temperatures and 100 degree temperatures. Heaven forbid those poor pups saw the inside of the house. They did have a dog house, but they were ignored. They were never played with. My two bullies are part of my family...they sit with us on the couch and sleep in our bed with us. Some people should NOT be dog owners.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I couldn't agree more with you. Ruthie is such a huge part of my life and is like a kid to me. I have to base my life around her and her needs because she can't take care of herself. Me and my husband are the only thing she has. My friends just shove their dogs outside to fend for themselves and only interact with them when it's convenient for them. Makes me so mad. Just don't have dogs....why is that so hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh this is a sore spot for me. Remember my post over the summer? We were at a family party and I asked a friend how their elderly dog was doing. Well I got the answer of a life time. She proceeded to roll her eyes and say how it is such a pain for them and she wished the dog would just fall down the stairs and break its neck already. :ohmy: I literally thought I was about to destroy decades of friendship (thank goodness the girl I was speaking to is the sister of the friend but still) and be thrown in jail for assault. My husband just politely got me out of there. Some people just don't get it.
I remember that!!!

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep I agree with Matt too. Its not like it use to be. A pet is a member of the family now. You cant just buy a dog and expect your only expenses to be food. Its way more than that. I never realized that having one was so expensive. Im not complaining but if you take care of your pet right its not going to be cheap!
I agree. Ruthie is my family. If your dogs aren't part of the family you just shouldn't have one and unfortunately my friends don't think they are part of the family.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June is mine and my bf's first dog (other than with our family) and she feels like our child! I don't understand some people...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh I agree too... When we found out our cat was diabetic, I got all kinds of comments about how I should put him to sleep, and it wasn't worth all the effort!!! My pets have always been considered family, and it's an insult to think that they should be treated differently!!!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I know in my heart that I am not the best "mother" to Dudley, but I do know that I will do whatever I can to keep him safe and happy. It is a lot of work, it is expensive and it is a huge time commitment...I knew that going in. I'm no genius -- so how do these people not know this? Why do it? I ask myself that question every time I see a story about some poor animal who has been abused, starved, or left alone to die. It breaks my heart. No matter how inadequate I feel as Dudley's mother, I know I would NEVER hurt him.

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Oh I agree too... When we found out our cat was diabetic, I got all kinds of comments about how I should put him to sleep, and it wasn't worth all the effort!!! My pets have always been considered family, and it's an insult to think that they should be treated differently!!!

I've been going through the same thing when I found out that Fergus is diabetic. He's a part of my family and I'm going to take care of him. He's Winston's brother and best friend...I can't imagine being that selfish that I'd just put him down to leave Winston alone like that. How horrible!

I actually recently went out on a date with a guy who was telling me that his cat pees everywhere & "loves" to wrestle (growls and hisses at him to let him know that she wants to "play"). I sat there in stunned silence while he was telling me this. What cat growls and hisses and then attacks you playfully?! He had scratches on his arms because of this cat attacking him and I was just shocked! I tried to explain to him that the cat is not happy and that's why he's getting attacked, and that something he's doing is causing the cat to attack because she feels scared, but he really didn't listen. Needless to say I never went out with him again.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've been going through the same thing when I found out that Fergus is diabetic. He's a part of my family and I'm going to take care of him. He's Winston's brother and best friend...I can't imagine being that selfish that I'd just put him down to leave Winston alone like that. How horrible!

I actually recently went out on a date with a guy who was telling me that his cat pees everywhere & "loves" to wrestle (growls and hisses at him to let him know that she wants to "play"). I sat there in stunned silence while he was telling me this. What cat growls and hisses and then attacks you playfully?! He had scratches on his arms because of this cat attacking him and I was just shocked! I tried to explain to him that the cat is not happy and that's why he's getting attacked, and that something he's doing is causing the cat to attack because she feels scared, but he really didn't listen. Needless to say I never went out with him again.
LOL... that's pretty funny!!! Next time let them meet Winston & Fergus, if they don't approve of him then the date night is OFF!!! :nono:

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
That is terrible, i know ppl that dont even take care of their kids have more kids and think its cute to get all of them a puppy cant event take care of the first kid, ppl are deff messed up sometimes. but what do you do...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
my sister is one of these types and it enrages me!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.