Does anyone ever truly stop grieving!?

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
It has been two months since I lost my best friend, Debo . I still cry every day. Does anyone ever truly stop grieving? Or do you just learn to deal with it?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think the grieving stops and the pain fades- never completely goes away, but does fade.

I've never owned a dog before Blue, but I did have a cat growing up. When he passed, I couldn't believe the pain I felt. It lasted for a long time too.

I know many people get another pet and it helps with the pain a lot. Thinking back, I wish I would have done just that, get another pet. Looking after a new dog/cat limits the time you dwell on the one you lost. At least I think so. Again, I'm not saying the pain goes away completely, but it becomes bearable. And eventually, you can think of them and smile, instead of cry.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Emily, I'm so sorry... I was just having a moment last weekend during our Halloween party. I remember last year when Bella wouldn't leave my grandson's side, and of course she's not with us anymore :*( I believe that grief is a process, and it takes time to accept what has happened. You just have to learn to live w/it, and in time your good memories will replace all of the sad memories of the loss... I know for me it will hit me out of the blue, I will say Bella's name by accident or I will have a memory of her... and then of course the tears!!! :cry:We are LUCKY though Emily that we have memories of a loving furry companion... so many people NEVER experience that kind of unconditional LOVE!!! We are blessed... :hug:

sunnyrn36

Mar 19, 2013
Waveland, Mississippi, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rube
Im so sorry for your loss.I can only imagine how you feel. My girl will be 7 dec 28th and it crosses my mind tooo often. I think i will fall apart when the day comes. prayers and hope for your lost love and cherish the wonderful memories

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Upon this day I reminisce with sadness and regret the loss of my beloved special *"child" who was my pet.
It's been two months of longing, wishing you'd return to me, for though you left two Months ago, I cannot "set you free".
Though time has made it easier, to go from day to day, noone can understand the "special" role your life did play.
For every day you were a part, of love, and joy, and life, you had a way that focused me, and lessened daily strife.
I'd hurry home to see your face, behind that window pane, where wiggles,hugs and cuddles, brighten up the worst of days.
And now I sit with eyes tear filled, you are not by my side, and when I see the window, it is bare and bleak inside.
Emotions they are raw today, I'm simply torn apart, for hollow, wrenching feelings, tear apart this very heart.
An emptyiness, that's deeper than the oceans filled my soul; a painful hunger bites my control.
For though time healed the Daily wounds,I wore upon my sleeve, I shelter from the world outside, just what you meant to me.
To me you were more human, than some others I have known, you Havre such love and tenderness; twas deep within your soul.
Now spring Is here, and little things, we love now cause me harm,the walks we'd take around the yard, no longer hold their charm
I see you as I turn each step,I watch for you each day.... Oh little one. I miss you so.Much more than words can say.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I honestly can't say it will get easier, but I do agree that in time the happy memories will eclipse the sadness. I cry my eyes out just reading these posts, I can't imagine the pain of it being my own baby. Enjoy Louie to the fullest and I think maybe he will help your heart heal a bit.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It has been two months since I lost my best friend, Debo . I still cry every day. Does anyone ever truly stop grieving? Or do you just learn to deal with it?

You learn to live with the loss... It has been two years for Nitschke, I still cry for him, I can smell him and swear at times he is next to me or in the car sitting in his favorite spot. I miss him every second of everyday.

I was hurt back in August in the ER for a few hours, wow, the drugs did a job on me... we were leaving the hospital and I started frecking out that we left Nitchke in there and we had to go back and get him. I was fighting with my boyfriend in the parking lot, crying/sobbing that he was in the bed with me and we had to go back and get him.

:hug:

Last edited:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Upon this day I reminisce with sadness and regret the loss of my beloved special *"child" who was my pet.
It's been two months of longing, wishing you'd return to me, for though you left two Months ago, I cannot "set you free".
Though time has made it easier, to go from day to day, noone can understand the "special" role your life did play.
For every day you were a part, of love, and joy, and life, you had a way that focused me, and lessened daily strife.
I'd hurry home to see your face, behind that window pane, where wiggles,hugs and cuddles, brighten up the worst of days.
And now I sit with eyes tear filled, you are not by my side, and when I see the window, it is bare and bleak inside.
Emotions they are raw today, I'm simply torn apart, for hollow, wrenching feelings, tear apart this very heart.
An emptyiness, that's deeper than the oceans filled my soul; a painful hunger bites my control.
For though time healed the Daily wounds,I wore upon my sleeve, I shelter from the world outside, just what you meant to me.
To me you were more human, than some others I have known, you Havre such love and tenderness; twas deep within your soul.
Now spring Is here, and little things, we love now cause me harm,the walks we'd take around the yard, no longer hold their charm
I see you as I turn each step,I watch for you each day.... Oh little one. I miss you so.Much more than words can say.

This is one of the loveliest things I've read. I just can't stop crying. Emily, my heart breaks for you. You have to take one day at a time. It takes what it takes. I think the sharp pain you feel today may lesson, but you always will love your Debo, and that will never change. God bless...and know you are not alone in your grief.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I am dreading that day when i have to face that kind of pain. I cant imagine what it feels like and my heart breaks for every one of you who has gone, and is going, through this. I also think about it way too much..I never in my wildest dreams thought i would get so attached. [MENTION=1950]goobers mom[/MENTION]..that was beautiful. [MENTION=4219]Emily[/MENTION] so sorry about debo. I can only imagine your pain.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Its hard to answer this as i lost my dog in may 2012 yet still there are times when i miss her so much tears keep falling down my cheeks
My daughter is 6now she writes letters to heaven at least once a week - i thought having our 2 girls will ease her pain and shes still young -but she still haven't stop missing her

It does get easier ,but our fur babies always leave an empty hole in our hearts xxx

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I. So sorry for your loss, and the grief you are going through right now. I understand how you feel, as we lost our 14 year old Jack Russell Oreo 3 years ago. I still miss her everyday, and she definetely took a piece of my heart with her. I don't think we ever totally get over the loss of any loved one whether it be person or pet, and no words can ever be said that will take away our pain, or grief, only time and emotional healing and letting ourselves miss and grieve can heal our hurting hearts. With time though, we learn to accept and deal with the loss, and with time, the sadness and sad thoughts become less and less and are replaced with the happy memories of our loved ones. Again I'm so sorry for the pain you're going through, and hopefully one day, when you're ready you'll find a place in your heart to love another beautiful bully. You'll never replace the ones you've lost, but you can find a place in your heart to love another. RIP beautiful Debo, you were loved more than words can say.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I just read this poem, it is the most beautiful tribute to a beloved pet that I have ever read. I'm crying my eyes out right now , so beautiful.

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I feel your pain, I had a Shar-Pei and he was my everything, I had to put him down this last year. It was awful, every night I cried. That's why I got a bully, he won't take the place of my old dog BUT I have a new focus. And I got my laugh back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I don't stop. It does get much better as time goes on but they heart still misses months and years later. I still shed a tear sometimes when when picture pops up up on my sidebar of Ace and it's been almost 2 years. Big :hug: to you Emily.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online