The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Well... A few days ago we officially hit the clingy stage with Harlea. She would always follow us around and such, but now if she is not near me and my wife 100% of the time she is not happy. I do not mind this for the most part as I enjoy her company sitting on the arm rest between me and my wife on the couch while she tries to catch the mouse pointer on my wife's laptop as it is kind of cute. However, the last 4 nights she has started whining when we go to bed and put her in her crate which has always been in our room next to our bed and she has not done that at all except for the first night we brought her home back in June. It is not too bad and has only lasts a few minutes, but if this keeps going on I will have to move her crate to another room in the house which i really don't want to do if i can avoid it as we love her being in there with us. We know it is not potty related as she is just coming in for her last potty of the night when this happens, but as our bed is really high up I am not comfortable letting her sleep in bed with us either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I used to put Bella & Winston in their crates in another room, and let Roxie sleep on the floor in our bedroom. Roxie is 9 & sleeps like the dead, so it's not a problem... After we lost Bella, I felt so bad leaving Winston by himself at night, he missed his Momma :( We put his bed on the floor besides Roxie, and it has worked out great!!! I'm allergic to dogs (get the shots for it) so I don't want them in the bed w/me, but they move around on the floor at night swapping beds & stuff... If Harlea is doing fine w/the potty training, have you thought about just putting a doggie bed next to your bed for the night?!! Our bed is so high that Winston can't jump up there thankfully...

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I have always kept Rocco's crate in the kitchen since week 1. Not that he makes noise at night but if he did it wouldn't be an issue. I understand your concern about Harlea on the bed. Last night actually, I was startled by Rocco falling off my bed. I really have no idea how he did it but I felt bad. Luckily, he didn't appear to hurt himself but I am concerned now if he falls asleep by the end of the bed and slides off lol

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I used to put Bella & Winston in their crates in another room, and let Roxie sleep on the floor in our bedroom. Roxie is 9 & sleeps like the dead, so it's not a problem... After we lost Bella, I felt so bad leaving Winston by himself at night, he missed his Momma :( We put his bed on the floor besides Roxie, and it has worked out great!!! I'm allergic to dogs (get the shots for it) so I don't want them in the bed w/me, but they move around on the floor at night swapping beds & stuff... If Harlea is doing fine w/the potty training, have you thought about just putting a doggie bed next to your bed for the night?!! Our bed is so high that Winston can't jump up there thankfully...

our bed is 36" to the top of the mattress and I thought about putting one of her beds next to ours, but she is still small enough to be able to get under our bed and it is a pain to get her out and it is also where the cats like to sleep at night so that is a no go. Also, as she is going through her chewing stage i am not comfortable letting her roam the house at night on her own yet. It is getting better but not where it needs to be in order for her to have free range like that.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Is Harlea's crate covered?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi! Harlea,since she has been "clingy" lately as you say, is probably testing you to see how far you will go! If she doesn't whine for very long and then goes to sleep-just ignore it, and she perhaps will learn that it doesn't do any good. I have one youngster who whines every night, when she goes in her crate-for about a minute, then goes to sleep. If you respond to it-it will encourage her! If you want her to sleep in her crate-ignore the whine!(and maybe have some wine........:hangover:kidding...............)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
our bed is 36" to the top of the mattress and I thought about putting one of her beds next to ours, but she is still small enough to be able to get under our bed and it is a pain to get her out and it is also where the cats like to sleep at night so that is a no go. Also, as she is going through her chewing stage i am not comfortable letting her roam the house at night on her own yet. It is getting better but not where it needs to be in order for her to have free range like that.

Winston is still in puppy chew mode, but for some reason at bedtime he just collapses... LOL We make sure to get out all his puppy craziness out before bedtime I guess...

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Hi! Harlea,since she has been "clingy" lately as you say, is probably testing you to see how far you will go! If she doesn't whine for very long and then goes to sleep-just ignore it, and she perhaps will learn that it doesn't do any good. I have one youngster who whines every night, when she goes in her crate-for about a minute, then goes to sleep. If you respond to it-it will encourage her! If you want her to sleep in her crate-ignore the whine!(and maybe have some wine........:hangover:kidding...............)

The longest it has lasted is about 5 minutes before she gets the hint. Both of us ignore it and don't acknowledge her when she does it. Same as we do when she starts to get really rough when playing.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds reasonable-if you want her to sleep in her crate-in YOUR room, it sounds like she gives up, so it should work out! You know THEY try to train US! Bullies are
people trainers-if you let them be-don''t ya' think?!!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think that is true. They are just like children and are constantly testing boundries. Brutus slept in the bed with us but we got a new bed and ours is really high as well and I am afraid he will try to jump off and break a leg. He now resides on the couch. It is funny because as soon as 10pm rolls around he stops what he is doing and gets in his spot and is unconscious until morning. He is also going through a chewing/eating everything stage but he is serious about bedtime. He does not move off the couch.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea would probably stay up all night if we let her. She hasn't had her play dates the last few weeks as her boxer friend has been fighting off a few infections and a sprained ankle and i think that is not helping the situation any.

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We use a two step step stool for Sheldon so he can get on and off our bed this way I don't have to worry he will hurt himself.

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use a two step step stool for Sheldon so he can get on and off our bed this way I don't have to worry he will hurt himself.

We have steps as well but as Harlea like to play Supergirl it does us no good for the sides of the bed which is where she usually wants to jump down from.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How about putting a tee shirt of yours or your wife's (or both) in Harlea's crate with her when she goes beddy-bye? this might help comfort her as she'll smell your scent close by.

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How about putting a tee shirt of yours or your wife's (or both) in Harlea's crate with her when she goes beddy-bye? this might help comfort her as she'll smell your scent close by.

Oh good idea!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online