Winston & Fergus

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
So I mentioned before that Winston & Fergus are the bestest buds in the whole wide world. Recently, Fergus was diagnosed as being diabetic, so our entire routine had to change. Fergus has been getting his blood tested 2x a day and insulin shots when his glucose levels are over 200. He gets treats then after all of this is done and fortunately, he's been super patient with me doing all of this to him.

With being diabetic, his food had to change from the dry food to wet food since it significantly helps with glucose levels (honestly, he's at normal levels now due to change in food!). Here's where the problems started.

Winston and Fergus apparently would share Winston's food and water while I was at work all day. So, I tried giving Fergus his wet food and putting it downstairs near his litterbox and picking Winston's food up so that way Fergus wouldn't eat it, and neither of them would eat. This went on for 2 days. So then, I prepared Fergus' food, put it in a special dish for him and set Winston's food down in front of him so that they could see each other eat. Fergus ate a little, but then Winston would sneak in to eat Fergus' food (and have killer farts).

Then I purchased wet dog food for Winston thinking that if I mixed some of the wet food in with the dry food that he'd eat his food and Fergus would eat his food and we'd all be happy. Boy was I wrong. Four days of diarrhea later (he was leaving brown spots on the carpeting and couch every time he sat down) I decided that this wet food / dry food combination was for the birds and he went back to dry food. Keep in mind I spent several days with my spot bot cleaning up little brown spots from the carpeting, pulled off all of the cushion covers from the couch and washed them and had to start wiping his butt 2x a day.

That evening, since Winston was no longer getting wet food, they both went on hunger strike #2 and I figured that they'd eventually eat (insert me pulling my hair out). A day & a half later, I was at my wits end. Neither were eating and I was just done. I finally looked at Winston and said "I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU DON'T EAT...GO. EAT. NOW!" and go figure, once Winston decided that it might be a wise decision to eat his food, Fergus followed suit.

So now Winston eats his food and Fergus eats his food, and I drink...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had a diabetic cat that lived to be 17 years old... I know EXACTLY what you are dealing with!!! We only did blood checks a couple of times a year, but luckily for us his levels maintained... of course we had to be very strict w/his food. Treats could really throw him off as well...

Dogs are so food sensitive, any change has to be gradual... I swear if you EVER introduce wet food, they will NEVER touch the dry again!!! LOL Well that is until they are starving... they are so STUBBORN!!! It can really drive you crazy... UGH!!!

How does Fergus handle getting the shots? Midi was a breeze, but boy if it had been my other cat Baby... I would have lost a limb!!! :lol:

OP
s5nelson

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I had a diabetic cat that lived to be 17 years old... I know EXACTLY what you are dealing with!!! We only did blood checks a couple of times a year, but luckily for us his levels maintained... of course we had to be very strict w/his food. Treats could really throw him off as well...

Dogs are so food sensitive, any change has to be gradual... I swear if you EVER introduce wet food, they will NEVER touch the dry again!!! LOL Well that is until they are starving... they are so STUBBORN!!! It can really drive you crazy... UGH!!!

How does Fergus handle getting the shots? Midi was a breeze, but boy if it had been my other cat Baby... I would have lost a limb!!! :lol:

Yeah, I'm having to be super strict with his food, and I'm having to pick up Winston's food to make sure he doesn't get into any of that. Also, he likes potato chips / crackers / french fries and random other things...so I have to make sure that nothing gets dropped on the floor either (yes, I know...I should have named him Garfield).

I tried to do it gradually by just mixing in a little and he picked out the bits of wet food and STILL had massive amounts of diarrhea! Stubborn dog... Never thought I'd have to yell at animals to go eat...

Fergus is doing great! He yells at me a little bit, but he's feeling so much better that I think he realizes that I'm doing it to help him. He really is a sweetheart, so I'm glad that he & Winston are best buds.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You can give dogs pumpkin to firm up their stools (pure pumpkin NOT the pie filling) I usually add a tablespoon to their kibble twice a day. Not sure if that would mess w/Fergus, you may want to check w/the vet on that... Maybe you could add some treats on top of their kibble!!! Until I got on EBN I had NO idea of all the foods that bully's can have & it's good for them. Apples (NO core or the seeds), bananas, green beans, carrots, the list is endless... Peanut butter is a huge one too!!! I add plain non-fat greek yogurt to my guys food in the morning. It really helps w/the gas...

OP
s5nelson

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
You can give dogs pumpkin to firm up their stools (pure pumpkin NOT the pie filling) I usually add a tablespoon to their kibble twice a day. Not sure if that would mess w/Fergus, you may want to check w/the vet on that... Maybe you could add some treats on top of their kibble!!! Until I got on EBN I had NO idea of all the foods that bully's can have & it's good for them. Apples (NO core or the seeds), bananas, green beans, carrots, the list is endless... Peanut butter is a huge one too!!! I add plain non-fat greek yogurt to my guys food in the morning. It really helps w/the gas...

Yeah, I knew about the pumpkin, but the issue wasn't with firming up his stool, it was more about him refusing to eat since he wasn't getting wet food anymore haha! The problem is that Winston picks everything out of his food instead of eating everything. He usually gets carrots, broccoli, bananas, green beans etc. He loves all of that stuff, but if I add it to his food he refuses to eat his actual food. So, basically, I'm dealing with a stubborn bulldog...go figure :)

It's all worked out in the end, it was just me learning that Winston and Fergus were being stubborn and both wanted wet food and to share the wet food, but they have to have their own food so that way everyone can be healthy haha!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Didn't anyone tell you Bulldogs have OCD...... you messed with the routine :nono:

happy they are both back to normal and you can put the spot bot away

OP
s5nelson

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Didn't anyone tell you Bulldogs have OCD...... you messed with the routine :nono:

happy they are both back to normal and you can put the spot bot away

Haha I knew that dogs have OCD, I didn't expect for the cat to be the same way! Both pets on food strike...silly boys.

I'm happy they're back to normal as well!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.