Registration with my Township

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Well the general consensus seems to be that not many people do it. I have never heard of house to house checks by me and I know the residents would be quite irate to know tax dollars weregoing towards that. I'm sure not many people have their pets registered.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I have never heard of them going door to door here in Arkansas. I don't think they care as long as you are treating them right and have their rabies vaccine up to date.

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I was just wondering about this the other day when searching online for dog parks in our area. The one I took June to mentioned having to have your dog registered in the city. She's our first dog and I don't even know where to go to register her? Is it really a big deal if I don't? Nobody at the dog park asked about it, but I will if I need to.

I can go to any dog park I want and when I do go, there is nobody working there anyway lol

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Haha, I always kept quiet about Winslow not being registered but it seems I'm in the majority! :p

I plan on it... one day... when I'm not so lazy. I really think it's there just to keep dogs' rabies vaccs in check.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
My city says it is mandatory. You have to renew it every January and if you miss the deadline the fine doubles the fee. I have heard of a few people getting fined because their dog wasn't registered but I am not sure how they knew their dog wasn't registered. We registered Gunny just because we felt like we had to. Our city is pretty strict.

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
One good reason to get a license is that is their proof of rabies vaccine in the event if a biting accident. You never know when it could happen and without that license most towns/counties/cities have the right to quarantine your furbaby god knows where for at least ten days. Some go as far as saying they can be euthanized for testing without that tag because they don't care about the animals, it is about money and liabilities. Pay the 12$ Just in case especially with a puppy! You don't want that headache or heartache ever!!
Also with a tag if they ever get loose a shelter knows that they belong to someone and have their shots. All worth 12$ just to cover what ifs!

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
See what I do not understand is this, Brutus of course had his rabbies vac and the vet sends that info somewhere so they have that info on file so why pay to have him registered? When I bring Brutus to the groomer they have his complete vac history and rabbies certificate on file and they never asked for a registration number. Hmm..just another way for them to get our money i'm sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is jst another way of getting money from you without saying it is a tax. We have them for our guys, but only after we did the microchip -- then you can get the life-time license and only pay like 30 bucks ;)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I was just wondering about this the other day when searching online for dog parks in our area. The one I took June to mentioned having to have your dog registered in the city. She's our first dog and I don't even know where to go to register her? Is it really a big deal if I don't? Nobody at the dog park asked about it, but I will if I need to.

you can likely go to City Hall to get the dog license or to the local humane society in your city if they give them out there.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
By me if you live within the city limits it is the law that you register your animals with the city and it is like $60 the first year and then drops to $25 after that if your pet is fixed and senior dogs are like $10 so it is obviously a money grab. Outside the city limits you don't have to do any of that crap.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
It is jst another way of getting money from you without saying it is a tax. We have them for our guys, but only after we did the microchip -- then you can get the life-time license and only pay like 30 bucks ;)

Christine, so you only have to pay up once and that's it? b/c we have to renew every year and pay the fee annually.

this is a good thread b/c now it has me wondering where the money is actually going? :confused:

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
yea by me there is no lifetime fee either. Only annually. I understand about the rabies thing, but Rocco has his tag attached to his collar that has the year of his rabies vaccination along with the name and address and phone of his vet. I know there are records there. Plus his name tag has his name and all of my info (phone, address) on it as well. There is definitely a way for them to check up on his records without taking him somewhere. For us the fee varies by age, and if they are neutered or not. It's not the money but the principle. Then I have another bill I have to pay each year and this town has problems sending bills to you but asking where the money is the feel they're owed. I know the late fee on the license renewal would be double and I'd almost rather just not get involved in it altogether.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
yea by me there is no lifetime fee either. Only annually. I understand about the rabies thing, but Rocco has his tag attached to his collar that has the year of his rabies vaccination along with the name and address and phone of his vet. I know there are records there. Plus his name tag has his name and all of my info (phone, address) on it as well. There is definitely a way for them to check up on his records without taking him somewhere. For us the fee varies by age, and if they are neutered or not. It's not the money but the principle. Then I have another bill I have to pay each year and this town has problems sending bills to you but asking where the money is the feel they're owed. I know the late fee on the license renewal would be double and I'd almost rather just not get involved in it altogether.

Well since its late in the year could you just wait til Jan and then do it, that is if you plan on doing it? Then it wouldnt be doubled right?

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Well since its late in the year could you just wait til Jan and then do it, that is if you plan on doing it? Then it wouldnt be doubled right?

No I think renewals are done in June so if you were to get a pet in May you would pay the full year just for a month. They won't charge you as being late if you get a pet let's say in in Sept. because technically you aren't late. I could say I got him in 5 yrs from now not like they would know lol

Members online

No members online now.