Registration with my Township

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
So I have had Rocco almost 3 months now and I have yet to register him. It's a nominal fee ($12/yr) but what do I really ge out of it? My parents have their dog and cat registered with their town and my dad has advised me that it is just a waste of money. He said it's the worst thing he ever did with them lol. So my question is, are your pets registered and what is the benefit, if any, of doing so? Is it just another way for the township to make money (as if my property taxes aren't enough)?

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I havent done it yet. But they say its required. And no I dont think there is any benefit. And you are probably fine if you dont do it as long as he doesnt get picked up by the dog catcher!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have never registered my pets. I didn't know this was something that had to be done. Do they really need this info? Especially with a Bulldog. Just another way for people to know your business I think

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
In TN they could careless... they just want you to register for the doggie park, which I don't plan on using!!! LOL

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I have never registered my pets. I didn't know this was something that had to be done. Do they really need this info? Especially with a Bulldog. Just another way for people to know your business I think
Its a "town" regulation thing. When we lived in the "city" it wasnt a big deal. Stupid... I know!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I haven't registered Sheldon with my town, I haven't gotten in trouble for it we have friends that are officers in our area that know we have Sheldon and has even tried to get in the police car with them.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Here in CA, the state requires that all dogs older than 4mos be licensed. Here is a snippet of the reasons and "benefits":
This mandated dog license program developed as a method of tracking rabies. Other benefits of licensing include an easy way of identifying lost animals, and the financial help that some fees bring to animal care programs.

Tate and Finn have their dog licenses; we get these random checks coming house to house...hasn't happened to me yet though.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There's a law here that requires dogs to have dog licenses once they reach four months of age.
It needs to be kept on his collar along with proof of his rabies vaccine. I've never had a cop stop us and check..lol.. and no idea what would happen if they would, and we didn't have the license.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Here we have to show proof of rabies vaccine and proof of being neutered/spayed and its $15 if not I believe its$30. I really dont know what the money goes for. May-be the pet shelters and animal control?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I haven't registered Ruthie but of course Kentucky could care less what anyone does. You can drive around here with just a steering column and one wheel on your car and no one says a word, but all hell breaks loose if you have one headlight out. LOL.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

I'm pretty sure a dog license is required for Long Island residents. You can find out at your country clerks office.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Uh oh story of my life, I always find a way to get myself in trouble. :ohmy:

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Where I live it is required but I have never regsitered my dogs. I have lived in my house for 17 years and not once have I registered any dog I owned. However, if they decided to do a random check I could get fined. The ordinance officer came to my house about 8 years ago because of an incident with my boxer but never asked if they were registered with the city just checked to make sure she had her rabies vaccine. I do know that some cities do go house to house and check to see how many pets you have and if they are registered. If they are not registered, they give you so many days to get them registered before they fine you.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I was just wondering about this the other day when searching online for dog parks in our area. The one I took June to mentioned having to have your dog registered in the city. She's our first dog and I don't even know where to go to register her? Is it really a big deal if I don't? Nobody at the dog park asked about it, but I will if I need to.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Uh oh story of my life, I always find a way to get myself in trouble. :ohmy:

To be honest, I don't think it's a big deal not to register. But with my luck, if we didn't, I'd be one of those rare people that would get stopped, and fined.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.