Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The day before Maude was spayed last week, I noticed a small lump on her side. The hair was missing a little and I could see two holes, which if I squeezed, blood would come out. When I took her in to be spayed, I told the Vet to check it out while she was asleep. It turned out to be a spider bite! He had shaved the area, and I am putting recommended antibiotic cream on twice a day. So glad I saw it! It actually looks like fang marks! As for ticks, I am out in the fields alot,as I've always had horses,cows donks, etc. and have had alot more ticks than my dogs get. After I get the tick off, the area turns red, and itchy and it usually swells, and it takes weeks before it goes away. I, after many years have discovered, I get more ticks after being under trees(wooded area) than I do off the grass. I think they wait to dive on ya' ha!hA! So glad that your baby will be okay-we are with you!:pray:

Last edited:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
As you can see the hair is already falling out and it's really red. It looks much better than yesterday though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 weeks to heal wow! I'm so happy so you took her in. I hope it heals quickly. I love that little Ruthie girl.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
6 weeks to heal wow! I'm so happy so you took her in. I hope it heals quickly. I love that little Ruthie girl.
I know...it's crazy it takes that long...Stupid ticks. I'll give her some lovin from you and Buster!!!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Its an infection. They gave me some antibiotic cream and said clean it twice daily and benedryl to help with the redness/itchies. Booo hisssss. Thanks everyone for your help. They said after you pull off ticks the scab can come on up to two weeks later and take about 6 weeks to fully heal and I should expect the hair to fall out in that spot. Ill try to get a photo.

Yikes! That's interesting that the scab can come up later and take 6 weeks to fully heal. Glad you got her in. That picture looks sore too. Poor thing.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The day before Maude was spayed last week, I noticed a small lump on her side. The hair was missing a little and I could see two holes, which if I squeezed, blood would come out. When I took her in to be spayed, I told the Vet to check it out while she was asleep. It turned out to be a spider bite! He had shaved the area, and I am putting recommended antibiotic cream on twice a day. So glad I saw it! It actually looks like fang marks! As for ticks, I am out in the fields alot,as I've always had horses,cows donks, etc. and have had alot more ticks than my dogs get. After I get the tick off, the area turns red, and itchy and it usually swells, and it takes weeks before it goes away. I, after many years have discovered, I get more ticks after being under trees(wooded area) than I do off the grass. I think they wait to dive on ya' ha!hA! So glad that your baby will be okay-we are with you!:pray:
I can't believe you found a spider bite...so scary. I've had a tick on me before and I still have a mark from it. I just didn't think with dogs they got that bad. She really had a bad reaction to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes! That's interesting that the scab can come up later and take 6 weeks to fully heal. Glad you got her in. That picture looks sore too. Poor thing.
It's very sore, she's quite crabby when I go to clean it.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
- - - Updated - - -

Ruthie's tick spot is healing very nicely. The scab came off yesterday, it's a little red still so I've been putting ointment on it. Still gonna take a bit to fully heal. Scab 1.jpgScab 2.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Glad that Ruthie is doing well! Maude(who had a spider bite) is also healing well. Hers looks like she will have a raised scar-but she'll still be beautiful!!

Mslieff

May 6, 2013
N. Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
That's EXACTLY how our Bentley looks! Husband found his first tick a few days ago and now the same thing. Then last night we found another one on him. Luckily we got it right away. WE have NEVER had problems with ticks before. Cant understand why so many this year. Bent's an indoor dog but on our walks he does get in some "brush" and "weeds" along the walkway that we walk on. Broke down and gave him a "treatment" last night and now today he's shedding like CRAZY!!! :hissycry:

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
The first warm week of the year Henry had 4 ticks. I broke down and gave him the frontline plus. It took until the second treatment until I didn't find any more ticks. Every bite that he has still has a bump. Not red or infected just a bump. He has 6 or 7!! The ticks around here are awful! I find them on us or in the house sometimes. I know the medicine is poison but it's a toss up as to which is worse. I've always used frontline on my dogs. I never thought about how bad it was until Henry. I had a dog some years ago that would get sick from one tick bite. I used the meds on him constantly. The ticks were much worse than the poison. It's hard knowing you give that toxic crap to your loved one. I will continue to use it for the summer. I hope it's the right choice.