Tick Scab?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
A few weeks ago I found a tick on Ruthie and I pulled it off. I have had dogs with ticks before but this one is different. I thought nothing of it when I pulled it off and it looked like the head came out. Well she has now what seems like a giant, pussy, red, crusty scab on her now. Is this normal for ticks and it's a few weeks later that this scab shows up? I just found it yesterday while petting her. I cleaned it with some peroxide and put Neosporin on it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would take her to the vet just to make sure it isn't something else. She may have an infection or an allergic reaction. Poor Ruthie I hope it heals up quick, please keep us posted.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
No clue, but sending good thoughts!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... I don't know about dogs w/tick bites, but I would take Phil's advice & take Ruthie to the vets to be sure. Keep us posted!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She has an infection, maybe from the head still in there.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
She has an infection, maybe from the head still in there.
OH NO!!!! I'll make sure to call the vet today. My poor girl, I'll get her in right away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH.... Agree with others, let us know how the vet visit goes

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Its an infection. They gave me some antibiotic cream and said clean it twice daily and benedryl to help with the redness/itchies. Booo hisssss. Thanks everyone for your help. They said after you pull off ticks the scab can come on up to two weeks later and take about 6 weeks to fully heal and I should expect the hair to fall out in that spot. Ill try to get a photo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Its an infection. They gave me some antibiotic cream and said clean it twice daily and benedryl to help with the redness/itchies. Booo hisssss. Thanks everyone for your help. They said after you pull off ticks the scab can come on up to two weeks later and take about 6 weeks to fully heal and I should expect the hair to fall out in that spot. Ill try to get a photo.

YIKES... 6 wks

B

Baxter Tiberius

I really hate ticks.

Lyme is deadly. To both animals and humans.

I've really been wracking my brain about what tick treatment to give baxter.

I found a tick on my floor yesterday. Deer tick. Not good.

Really frustrating that the treatments are all so segregated. Like you can do Fleas and Ticks, but you have to have another product for ringworm.

If you really want to do it right, you probably need 3 products. Three poisons pumped into your little pup, to make their blood toxic to the nervous systems of insects. Boy that's healthy ..... :-/ .... no possible way it might actually be toxic to the dogs nervous system either riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? ;)

Trifexis which does all three is pretty much poison to the dog ... sigh.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is what t looks like. Sorry it's not that clear, she gets aggravated when I clean it.
ehu2ysuj.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
As you can see the hair is already falling out and it's really red. It looks much better than yesterday though.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I really hate ticks.

Lyme is deadly. To both animals and humans.

I've really been wracking my brain about what tick treatment to give baxter.

I found a tick on my floor yesterday. Deer tick. Not good.

Really frustrating that the treatments are all so segregated. Like you can do Fleas and Ticks, but you have to have another product for ringworm.

If you really want to do it right, you probably need 3 products. Three poisons pumped into your little pup, to make their blood toxic to the nervous systems of insects. Boy that's healthy ..... :-/ .... no possible way it might actually be toxic to the dogs nervous system either riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? ;)

Trifexis which does all three is pretty much poison to the dog ... sigh.

It's horrible for them, which is why I don't give her anything for ticks. We were in the woods at my parents house a few weeks ago and I just now found it. They are sneaky little f'ers.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.